It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban-U.S. peace talks look more likely; military worried

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Taliban-U.S. peace talks look more likely; military worried

www.usatoday.com

WASHINGTON (AP) – The Obama administration is moving ahead with plans for negotiating with the Taliban, confident that talks offer the best chance to end the 10-year-old war in Afghanistan. But the military worries things are moving too fast, and intelligence agencies offered a gloomy prognosis in their latest Afghanistan report.

Taliban fighters stand with their weapons after they joined Afghanistan government forces during a Sunday ceremony in Herat province.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Well hopefully this will be another step forward to getting our Troops out of there.

As many of you have been aware of every so often these stories pop up. Usually around the first of the year.

Whats the date again?

Who here will hold their breath? How many think there will be a deal by election?

As always Stay tuned.

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

So what was the point of this war ?

Al-cia-da was in Pakistan the entire time, we fought the Taliban --to give it back to the Taliban?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Yeah make peace with the people who stone and behead and cut off women's noses and keep their women "barefoot" and pregnant so to speak.

After a decade of war must be nice to cut an run like that they don't have to live there and it goes back to the safe haven it use to be.

Then more plotting and planning for the next time.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I have to agree with you on this one.

Both of Bush's wars have been a total waste of Military Men, money and a HUGE loss of Face to America.

Thank you George Bush Rep.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The WH should also agree to allow the Taliban have public beheadings, executions and the extremely popular beatings of Muslim women on the white house lawn... Could prove to be a great way to bridge the gap between western culture and Islam.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I say too bad for Karzai he had his chance...

Related story...

Karzai Aide Says U.S. Isn’t Providing Enough Details About Taliban Talks

KABUL, Afghanistan — President Hamid Karzai’s chief of staff expressed concern on Thursday about the American role in starting talks with the Taliban, complaining that Afghan officials were not being kept well informed and worrying about the possibility that the Taliban might make “a secret deal” with the United States.
At War

The chief of staff, Abdul Karim Khurram, expressed his views in a rare interview a day after Pakistan canceled a visit by a top American envoy, Marc Grossman, throwing into disarray his efforts to hold talks on peace efforts with regional leaders.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides
reply to post by SLAYER69

So what was the point of this war ?

Al-cia-da was in Pakistan the entire time, we fought the Taliban --to give it back to the Taliban?

No such critter as "al-cia-da". Don't look now, your fantasies are showing.

The purpose of the war was to emphasize that there are those around with whom thou shalt not screw. Tell us to go to hell when we make a serious request, and we'll blow your damned mud huts up and put a serious cramp in your peace and ability to run roughshod over your people...

Personally, I think the Taliban should have been exterminated, but apparently the US had no serious intentions of fighting the war like they meant it after the conventional generals went in trying to find their medals and chest confetti under Afghan rocks.

If your not going to finish it, then just walk away right now and leave another power vacuum for the Afghans to fight over. Last man out just leave a note nailed to the door saying "screw with us some more, and we'll be back", lock up, and turn off the lights.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides
reply to post by neo96

I have to agree with you on this one.

Both of Bush's wars have been a total waste of Military Men, money and a HUGE loss of Face to America.

Thank you George Bush Rep.

They're not "Bush's Wars" anymore. Obama bought them from him, and owns them now - in addition to the entertaining new ones he's dabbled in.

I guess maybe you didn't get the memo - Bush left office around 3 years ago.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I don't see how peace can move forward, when the Taliban claimed responsibility today for a suicide attack at ( U S / NATO ) Kandahar Air Field, which killed seven civilians.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Civilians killed don't count in public opinion.

Unless they were killed by NATO........
edit on 19-1-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

The purpose of the war was to emphasize that there are those around with whom thou shalt not screw. Tell us to go to hell when we make a serious request, and we'll blow your damned mud huts up

I'm a bit of a stickler for details.

The war you are describing above is when you took on the Military Might of Grenada.

You showed them.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Daedal

Civilians killed don't count in public opinion.

Unless they were killed by NATO........
edit on 19-1-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

Sure it does..It just depends on if your trying to start a war or end one. R2P....

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Are you trying to say that some civilian casualties are justifiable?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Yeah make peace with the people who stone and behead and cut off women's noses and keep their women "barefoot" and pregnant so to speak.
After a decade of war must be nice to cut an run like that they don't have to live there and it goes back to the safe haven it use to be.
Then more plotting and planning for the next time.

So you support going into Saudi next? A-stan is not the only medieval society around. Where exactly do you propose it ends? And are America's youth worth the cost? I sure don't think so...I know ours aren't.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Just how you get that from what i posted i will never know that was so thin everyone can see through that.

Last time i checked the Taliban are in Afghanistan and to interject Saudi tells just how much people do not know between the different factions of Islam.
edit on 19-1-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Just how you get that from what i posted i will never know that was so thin everyone can see through that.
Last time i checked the Taliban are in Afghanistan and to interject Saudi tells just how much people do not know between the different factions of Islam.
edit on 19-1-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Are you suggesting that the Saudis are the moderates? I sure hope not.
And my question remains...why is 'truth, justice and the American way' not applied to all the despots and religious fundamentalist dictatorships in the world? Where does it become hypocrisy?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

star
nobodies children are worth the enrichment of the oil and dope enrichment program
even the dopes that give up thier children

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

"Truth, Justice and the American way"

Why are you quoting Superman?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Daedal

Are you trying to say that some civilian casualties are justifiable?

No, not at all. We'll see what the opinion of UNHRC has to say about the mass casualties in Syria, and if it will lead to a Libya scenario.
edit on 19-1-2012 by Daedal because: typo

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join