It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need a Hero.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
so I was thinking,

Where did the notion of the Jedi come from. The Hero. I am not referring to the historical path the hero mythos has taken in its various evolutions but rather to its final destination.

I often look for the silver lining in things though I haven't always and truthfully it is all dependant on when was the last time I really saw it.

Ultimately the drive for good is something else. It is not dependant on the amount of tangible good attained from it´s effect. It is independent from the rational or logical mind, yet is guides it.

The Hero, whoever he is to us, Is the personification of our ultimate reason for our moment of absolute good that motivates you to do what is beyond justification and exists firmly in the very fiber of your reality in that moment.

We always look to a hero or let our minds wonder in one way or another into the thought of "WW HE DO."
The answer I find is more a reflection of the one who asks it.

Like every super hero has a super power unique to his special disposition as the ultimate expression of his good.
A person in the spirit of his realm will become the necessary justice to an injustice.

Aqua man defended the oceans, Clark was a good guy. Batman was the good you could hate. The sliver surfer was the harbinger of death, yet an ally of all life.

Their powers were expressions of their truth.

Where do we find the ultimate expression of our truth? Where in the human psyche do we find the finite Honor of a warrior in his righteous defense of good? Where does our lion sleep inside us. How do we awaken him in men?

Here are two good examples of what drives the Hero in human hearts.

Achilles and his immortal mortality. His quest to be remembered. This ultimate warrior. Undefeatable and omnipotent on the battlefield, yet mortal. He feared not facing his death and so deals death with great skill, yet does not define himself by it. He does so by his bravery

His quest for glory and remembrance is really an acknowledgement of the worth of life. How the envy of the gods is our days importance since each one is worth more than the last to us.

Gilgamesh and Enkidu. Gilgamesh, his great and civilized side subduing his natural and savage side. Enkidu being tamed and subdued into a weaker state of himself by the lures of romance and sexuality.
The accepting of one's own downfall and failure.

The greatness and immortality we sometimes seek in the morning, mourn and honor in the evening and ultimate truth we discover in our rest peacefully.

What is your Hero?
Is it an Anti-Hero?
If so, Why?

edit on 19-1-2012 by casenately because: fix

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a hero in my opinion doesn't have to have any super powers (would definitely be a plus though ) but anyone who puts everything on the line to step in and help when no one else will.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Take a good look around, the only heroes are in someone's imagination.
Sure there are small time heroes, they feed people or help them in some way or teach needed skills.
But it seems the villains are more powerful, and kill off the heroes with legislation.
So, to answer your question, I truly cannot point the hero out, but I'd sure bet you can tell who I believe the villain to be.
I guess the hero will be shown when the villain is vanquished.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by casenately
so I was thinking,

Where did the notion of the Jedi come from. The Hero. I am not referring to the historical path the hero mythos has taken in its various evolutions but rather to its final destination.

It was inspired by "A Hero with a Thousand Faces" by Joseph Campbell. You'll love it, i think it contains the answers you are seeking, young padawan.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

thanks! good lookin, I will check it out.
lol

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Mmmmm....

Subway!

[Edit]

Thanks for putting that horrible 80s Bonnie Tyler song in my head now...

Prepare for payback!

[/Edit]
edit on 1/19/2012 by the_philth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by casenately

Just FYI, I am looking at this on my office wall right now, today (I put it there as an inspiration to keep me coming back to work every day! lmao)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

we all need a hero...someone to look up too...someone who isnt weak, pathetic, puny, and useless...we need a hero to take care of our probelms, the ones we cant solve, we need a hero to guide us, to lead us and set balance to the world..

unfortunately....there are NO heroes, left. period.

even the "human" heroes i.e firefighters, doctors, poilce officers, are slowly becoming curropted money driven pricks...

now you have the firefighter that watches a families house burn down, we have the officer who lets the victim burn alive insdie a vehicle because he "isnt paid enough" to risk his life..you have the lazy doctor that didnt want to go the extra step to save a life...

my friend...the real heroes are YOU and ME...as long as you keep some self of right and wrong inside of you, you will do fine...

edit on 19-1-2012 by ooYODAoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

edit on 19-1-2012 by blackmirage0311 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ooYODAoo

OMG, it's Yoda! You see, all you have to do is ask and everyone shows up!

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

OMG, it's Yoda! You see, all you have to do is ask and everyone shows up!

hhhmmm...the force is strong with this one....

even a young padawan needs guidance every now and then

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ooYODAoo

we all need a hero...someone to look up too...someone who isnt weak, pathetic, puny, and useless...we need a hero to take care of our probelms, the ones we cant solve, we need a hero to guide us, to lead us and set balance to the world..

even the "human" heroes i.e firefighters, doctors, poilce officers, are slowly becoming curropted money driven pricks...

now you have the firefighter that watches a families house burn down, we have the officer who lets the victim burn alive insdie a vehicle because he "isnt paid enough" to risk his life..you have the lazy doctor that didnt want to go the extra step to save a life...

my friend...the real heroes are YOU and ME...as long as you keep some self of right and wrong inside of you, you will do fine...

This is absolutely correct, except the thing about there being no heroes left. period.

The little guy, with faith but the size of a tiny seed, he, with the aid of certain "forces" can and does move whole mountains of historical causation, he can wage "heart wars" without any military hardware, and armed with nothing but a keyboard and mouse, hit them where it hurts, big time!

The hero of these times, isn't the President of the USA, isn't the Pope in Rome, or even Lady Gaga!

It's me, and you.

We heroes are not supposed to "unmask", while staying "under the radar", but sometimes, from time to time, some among us need to step out into the light and be honest, where humility is to know one's self as you truly are. I have waged a war on behalf of the little man, and won, but it's not the work of a "lone ranger" because we all contribute to one another, so no one in particular can really lay claim to the great win, the great work, but let me be the first to share the good news, that the battle has been won, with God and the heavens as my witness, and now to you, on bended knee I extend my light sabre! Use it wisely, because it's powerful, and remember that he who shows mercy will have mercy shown him, and that we must forgive as we are forgiven. There is no place in this new war of the ages for human vengeance, it doesn't work that way, no LOVE is our greatest weapon, and our shield, our strength and the shelter in the eye of the storm.

Go then, and be as cunning as serpents but as harmless as doves. In the right spirit, and with the right power at your side, nothing can stand against you, nor separate us from the love of God almighty in whom is all power, amen.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Originally posted by ooYODAoo

This is absolutely correct, except the thing about there being no heroes left. period.

The little guy, with faith but the size of a tiny seed, he, with the aid of certain "forces" can and does move whole mountains of historical causation, he can wage "heart wars" without any military hardware, and armed with nothing but a keyboard and mouse, hit them where it hurts, big time!

The hero of these times, isn't the President of the USA, isn't the Pope in Rome, or even Lady Gaga!

It's me, and you.

We heroes are not supposed to "unmask", while staying "under the radar", but sometimes, from time to time, some among us need to step out into the light and be honest, where humility is to know one's self as you truly are. I have waged a war on behalf of the little man, and won, but it's not the work of a "lone ranger" because we all contribute to one another, so no one in particular can really lay claim to the great win, the great work, but let me be the first to share the good news, that the battle has been won, with God and the heavens as my witness, and now to you, on bended knee I extend my light sabre! Use it wisely, because it's powerful, and remember that he who shows mercy will have mercy shown him, and that we must forgive as we are forgiven. There is no place in this new war of the ages for human vengeance, it doesn't work that way, no LOVE is our greatest weapon, and our shield, our strength and the shelter in the eye of the storm.

Go then, and be as cunning as serpents but as harmless as doves. In the right spirit, and with the right power at your side, nothing can stand against you, nor separate us from the love of God almighty in whom is all power, amen.

amen

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Definitely the anti-hero type.

Gilgamesh and Achilles were as much of a burden as they were an asset. Perhaps even more of a burden on their community, but a necessary burden.

My idea of the anti-hero is the one that does what has to be done, not because he wants to, not because he has to, not because he needs to, but just because he is the guy at the right place, at the right time, with the right skill and willingness to make the hard decision. The guy that doesn't mind standing alone, in the face of adversity, maybe even in the face of existing law or political correctness, but has the steadfast morality to do what needs to be done, regardless of the outcome or personal sacrifice that will result. The guy that takes the burden on his own shoulders, with full knowledge of the consequences, but does it because it needs to be done. The guy that understands what he does may not be popular, and he won't be praised, and he may be persecuted, or ridiculed, or arrested, but he does it anyway.

My anti-hero type is the Doc Holiday, or Van Helsing, or even Dexter.

Here is my short story on "Necessary Evil"

But, I still love Achilles and Hector!

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

All right! Ask for a hero and you get master Yoda.

I hope you do the name justice, guru.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Being a hero is hard business. Sometimes we all wish we were heroes, but you know being a hero is a relative thing is it not? Well, being a hero would be nice. To go beyond the norm, and to undue to the evil. A hero is a memory maker, a hero does not bring evil into the world, but exists as a symptom of our underlying capacity to denote causes to change.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Humanity is like a great net, or a very large global family, at all levels, and for better or worse we are the stewards of this world, this earth, and everything we do, whether for good or ill, has far reaching implications that we cannot even begin to fathom, where only the first/last cause, the alpha and omega, knows all.

Therefore, in the face of all the degradation, the corruption, abuses of power, dumbing down, failure in love, the hatred, intollerance, violence, and wickedness (in both low and high places) - it is very VERY easy, these days, for anyone to be a true hero of the very best kind. You see, in the face of all that, standing tall and firm in what is right, just and true, all you need to do is:

1) Possess a great love for all people, both good and bad, healthy and sick, including yourself.

2) Smile alot and be happy, even for no reason at all.

3) Make it your mission in life to be helpful to others wherever possible.

4) Enjoy the great gift that is life, and do not take anything for granted ie: recognize the miraculous nature of life itself and be grateful, even in the face of adversity.

Do this, in the face of all the ugliness, and you, dear friend are the one who moves history in a new direction, and even if you don't have much or have been dumped on in whatever way however big or small, you are the stone, the keystone of the new world, the new heaven and the new earth, where it may be said, yet again, that it was the stone that was rejected by the builders (the individual) who became the keystone in the royal arch across which all humanity may begin to pass into everlasting life and freedom.

It's very simple, although not always easy, which I suppose is what makes it heroic.

I consider myself a hero, but I cannot do this alone, and so I too am in need of a hero, and that hero, if you are willing and up to the task, is YOU!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
This is the video I meant to post. Hector leaves his wife and child and goes to face a certain death against Achilles, but he does it because he knows it is the right thing to do, and it is his responsibility, and he bears it with honor.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Authentic power, REAL power, of the constructive, formative variety, always comes to serve, not to be served, and that which is higher always and forever comes down to reach for and raise up what is lowly to increasingly higher heights, with all (good) boats rising on the sparkling waters of the light of life.

Such power, inspired by the hearfelt love to serve and to uplift the downtrodden, the lonely, and those in need, being as it were in perfect alignment with God's own loving intentionality, is without limitation or constraint. It knows itself, and being self aware, it knows what it needs to do and what must be done, for the sake of what's right and just and true. Such power, being synonymous and harmonious with the love of God almighty, while merciful and slow to anger, can make no compromises. It must therefore be applied, full force, to both shut and open certain doors, and to bind and unbind certain processes or "trees" some of which produce only bad fruit and must be cut down, and some only good fruit, which must be protected, and given every opportunity to flourish.

He who holds the key to this power, can do all these things, and more, because what is bound on earth is bound in heaaven also, and a closed door, combined with a newly opened door, is a very powerful thing indeed, which for some may represent a great terror, but for others, an immense beauty capable of knocking the scales from their eyes such that, once blind they now see clearly as if for the very first time, or at the very least perhaps not since early childhood, when everything was lit by this same light of wonderment and awe.

But woe to those who would try to close and lock the door of freedom on their fellow man, or try to shut out the very love of God (if such a thing were possible)!

What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you shut the door of the Kingdom of Heaven in people's faces. You won't go in yourselves, and you don't let others enter either.
~ Mathew 23:13

However, even to those who would try to shut doors in people's faces, for all the wrong reasons, I still say fear not because while the one door indeed has now shut, another one, a heavenly one of immense proportion (however well guarded) now remains forever opened [and the saints went marching in, and even Elvis Presley ("thank you, thank vou very much")].

This is the truth, with God and the heavens as my witness, amen.

And no, I'm not crazy. I am like the Rooster crowing at the dawn, or, like a kind and considerate man throwing a bucket of water on your sleeping face while shouting loud enough to raise the dead (if such a thing were possible) "WAKE UP, WAKE UP! it's a new day, a new dawn, the time has come, prepare to celebrate, to join me for the party of the ages, there's much to do, wake UP!"

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
~ John 14:12 KJV

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Curse you!!!!!
*shakes angry fist*
S&F

I've been working on a thead about the same thing. The death of heroes has been endemic in the US and government has done much to kill off the idea of an individual who saves the day.

Government has replaced the hero.

Some of my heroes.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join