It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous attacks whitehouse.gov after taking down Department of Justice and others

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Anonymous Goes on Megaupload Revenge Spree: DoJ, RIAA, MPAA, and Universal Music All Offline

The combination of the hacking nebula’s SOPA animosity—they’ve been a vocal opponent of the bill since its inception—combined with today’s sudden Megaupload news has made the group bubble over: hundreds upon hundreds of Anon operatives are in a plotting frenzy, chatting about which site will go down next. In Anon’s eyes, the government and media interests are responsible for the undue destruction of Megaupload (and the arrest of four of its operators), so it’ll be exactly those entities that’re feeling the pain right now. Pretty much every company that makes movies, TV, or music, along with the entirety of the federal government, is in Anonymous’ crosshairs.

MegaUpload should be back online soon, They luckily have the funds to support them selves and get the required lawyers thats needed to fight this case and prevent this illegal move. In the mean time, We can only hope that anonymous keeps targeting these companies to let them know that we wont put up with this.

WRC559.

edit on 2/2/2012 by 12m8keall2c because: gratuitous link removed

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
If Megaupload take down was a success for the FBI and the copyright holders, why is new censorship based legislation needed?

If anonymous wanted legitimate support, why would it would it engage in such pointles attacks over a site that has engaged in stealing?

I believe anonymous has been subverted by LE to discredit them & destroy future support structure. LE likely looking to take out little people - like they take out drug users and call them dealers.
edit on 20-1-2012 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by UkRandom
Could somebody make a fresh post and put this in i think its important for people to read

The New Tactic Behind Anonymous’ Massive Megaupload Revenge Attack

The hacktivist collective Anonymous is in the middle of a huge revenge spree after the Feds shut down popular filesharing site Megaupload today. But they're using an evil new tactic that tricks people into helping their attack if they click an innocuous link.

The Department of Justice, MPAA and Universal Music websites have all been taken down in the past hour as part of Operation Megaupload, which is shaping up to be the biggest Anonymous campaign in months.

Here's one reason they've been able to muster so much firepower: Anonymous members are distributing a link that ropes internet users into an illegal DDoS attack against these websites simply by clicking it.
The link is being shared widely on Twitter and in Anonymous chat rooms,
often with no context except that it relates to Operation Megaload.
I clicked it a few minutes ago because it was being spammed in an Anonymous chatroom and found myself instantly DDoSing Universalmusic.com,
my computer rapidly pinging the page with no way to stop except quickly closing the window.

The link is a page on the anonymous web hosting site pastehtml.
It link loads a web-based version of the program Anonymous has used for years to DDoS websites: Low Orbit Ion Cannon. (LOIC).
When activated, LOIC rapidly reloads a target website, and if enough users point LOIC at a site at once, it can crash from the traffic.
Judging from a Twitter search, the link is being shared at a rate of about 4 times a minute, mostly by Spanish-speaking users
for some reason. (Here's a link to the Twitter search, just don't click the PasteHTML link.)

The thing is, DDoSing is a criminal offense that could earn you 10 years in prison, if you do it intentionally.
With previous versions of LOIC, participants had to acknowledge this risk and press a button labeled "fire."
But now, it appears some enterprising anonymous member has retooled it so that it automatically fires if you click an unassuming link and leave a window open.

This is completely evil and could lead to huge numbers of witless internet users inadvertently attacking, say, the Department of Justice by clicking a random link they stumble across on Twitter. It may greatly increase the effectiveness of today's attacks, but it also renders them largely meaningless. Anonymous' previous attacks had what political power they had because they were acts of conscious protest; participants knew what they were getting into. This recent round seems to be not much better than a Facebook worm. The safest thing now would be to avoid clicking anything to do with operation megaupload or Anonymous—especially if it's a mysterious Pastehtml link.

seems i cannot make a new post
and i feel people should know about this before they unwillingley dos a site and put themselfs in legal
source gawker.com...

edit on 20-1-2012 by UkRandom because: edited link

I agree with your sentiments, well done for bringing it to everyone's attention.

Of course there is another way of looking at the ploy ...... plausible deny-ability ........ If you don't know you are helping you can't get in too much trouble for it. Sneaky!

P

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

the same free internet across the globe , where in some countries certain social networking sites are blocked by government control , that same free internet ?

yeh ok!

Maybe in western society we have the choice to roam freely on any site we choose
but not all over the world im afraid !

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
edit on 20-1-2012 by Phenomium because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
IMO. They want facebook and all social networking sites took down when they strike iran and start a world war. why would they want people spreading the truth on facebook, blogs, etc, i give it a week. No i don't have any facts or sources but it seems so damm obvious to me. like obama gives a damm about jay z losing a bit of money

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I can see how they may be ramping this up to have some excuse to shut down social networking sites when Iran is getting attacked. TPTB watched and learned when Ahmadinejad did the same thing.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by hapablab
This is a false flag if I ever seen one, SOPA and PIPA fail so lets create a cyberwar to prove how important they are.

These attacks reek of "we did it ourselves and let's blame others".

What they do to get policies made into law is sickening.
edit on 20-1-2012 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Sorry for the many Lols but lol

Is MPAA even Human? have you seen how they replied?? people are laughing at this.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

replied where? link please

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonyWarp
People should stop considering Anonymous like pre pubescents idiots

We'll be more than happy to do that. Just as soon as you stop acting like it.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by KINGOFPAIN

Just another government False Flag Op, we should be finding out who exactly is Anonymous.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

twitpic.com...
this is one response i found on the matter

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Most of the sites listed are still up (with the exception of Universal Music)

RT as a valid source of research? Really?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Thunda

the other sites were down, some are back up now though. i was watching it as it happened. anon just tweeted this:
#Anonymous reports that justice.govt.nz and shop.mgm.com are Tango Down in continuing #OpMegaUpload

if anyone wanted updated news from them about what they are doing they are on twitter under youranonnews and tumblr under same name. best place for info is straight at the source.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by godfather420

Anonymous couldn't overthrow a trash can in my humble opinion. Bunch of cyber bullies who are no better than those they oppose and they pick on anyone who disagrees.

Sounds a lot like the US federal government to me. At least the way Anonymous perceives them anyways.

Megaupload has been heading down this path for sometime and the last 13 months by the actions of various Nations has made that evident.

I will observe how the legal outcome goes for all involved. Not all of the facts of the case are in and not all of the evidence has been disclosed but I assure you that the Feds piled up enough to do there part.

Now it's up to us to see the defense mounted over the coming months and years. If people really want to make a difference then they should do all they can to ensure that the parties arrested are being treated justly and receive due process in accordance to laws.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
seems theres news breaking -www.politico.com... top banner - HARRY REID TO DELAY PIPA VOTE!!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by hapablab

i'd give ya a star for this - but don't know how.
good one!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Gigatronix

yes, it's true that "product" takes money, but it's not art, it's product. the Constitution says CLEARLY that copyright Monopoly is for the ARTS and Science. not for "products".

if it takes a dollar from a hundred million people or a million dollars for a hundred people, that "still" doesn't make it art.

I guess you have never heard of Kickstater, it doesn't take a million dollars to create "good" content.

it takes an artist, artist do it because they are driven, not because of "rewards" that how I , personally define "art"

Some art does make money.

have you ever noticed that music becomes much more popular AFTER an musician dies.

digital "scarcity" is an oxymoron, if the "product" a million to produce, no one says you HAVE to make a profit on it, you may wish too but like life it's self, there is no guarantee.

digital replication is pretty much "free" so why would an ebook cost $24?

once content is made digital it's cost of reproduction is nil
you can make a billion trillion copies for next to nothing and sell it for 50 cents and "still" make a huge profit, and fight Piracy.

instead they "hold" content, they make "limited time offers" or they wont digitize it all all cause there is no profit

the public domain is getting raped, copyright length has been extended to 75 years. and folks wonder why the "freetards" exist.

I worked on a road crew 5 years ago, I don't get to paid for my work each time a car crosses that section of road (even though it's still used daily, to this day) for work done 5 years ago, why should they??

so lets make this all even copyright roads and houses too, folks wont have to work anymore, just the once and done

Edit to add, all this filesharing started BECAUSE of content industries, then they said it's a problem
edit on 20-1-2012 by thedigirati because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
OMG it's a DDoS attack... Quick get the president in the bunker and launch the missiles.

We're all gonna die!

Indeed script kiddies downloading LOIC does not equate to 'hackers'

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join