It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous attacks whitehouse.gov after taking down Department of Justice and others

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
OMG it's a DDoS attack... Quick get the president in the bunker and launch the missiles.

We're all gonna die!

well if Anon can do it, so can the Chinese. In fact, didn't the Chinese do it around 07 ish? Also in the last couple years US data was being rerouted through Chinese servers I heard.

In fact Rick Santorum talked about off-shore entities pirating intellectual property in the debate last night and everyone here ripped him to shreds over it. I cannot believe how naive people are. Here's an example of what he was talking about, only this is a real security threat and not necessarily due to sites which allow uploading or downloading of stuff.

www.infosecurity-magazine.com...

Only a dozen or so Chinese hacking groups – backed and directed by the government – carry out most China-based cyberattacks, according to US cybersecurity analysts.
These cyberattacks steal billion of dollars worth of intellectual property (IP) and data, according to US cybersecurity analysts consulted by the Guardian newspaper. The attacks have distinct signatures that enable US officials to tie them back to certain Chinese hacking groups.

The increasing frequency and widening scope of attacks, and the loss of valuable proprietary IP, have prompted US companies to call for greater action by the US government to stop the attacks “by any means possible”, according to the article.

This does not mean that I am for SOPA or any censorship of the Internet. I am for Internet freedom and against net neutrality.

Last night Ron Paul said that these problems(like abortion) are a problem with morality and you cannot legislate morality. As long as people believe they have a right to someone else's property or whatever other issue it may be, lawmakers will make laws to stop it.
Network administrators work very hard to keep a network free from unauthorized access. They do this on several layers involving both software applications and hardware solutions.

edit on 20-1-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-1-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Evidence:

"If you visit the webpage, and do not have Javascript disabled, you will instantly, without user interaction, begin to flood a website of Anonymous's choice with unwanted traffic, helping to perpetuate a DDoS attack," it said.

It noted that such attacks were illegal, meaning that users taking part in the action were breaking the law.

www.bbc.co.uk...

blogs.ft.com...

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email [email protected] to buy additional rights. blogs.ft.com...

“In the past, Anonymous has encouraged supporters to install a program called LOIC (Low Orbit Ion Cannon) which allows computers to join in an attack on a particular website, blasting it with unwanted traffic.
“This time, things are slightly different: you only have to click on a web link to launch a DDoS attack… If you visit the webpage, and do not have JavaScript disabled, you will instantly, without user interaction, begin to flood a website of Anonymous’s choice with unwanted traffic, helping to perpetuate a DDoS attack.”

-- So, as much as I support Anon - I'm just giving a heads up to people who don't want to unwittingly get involved in the attacks.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by UkRandom

THX for the reply.

So where does the Low Orbit Ion Cannon fit into this story?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Barbaricfellow

THX for the reply.

thats just Anons tools of there trade so to speak
its an application for stress testing servers/sites

used for denial of service attacks
its sounds more wonderfull than it actually is

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

So, as much as I support Anon - I'm just giving a heads up to people who don't want to unwittingly get involved in the attacks.

Wow dude you might have just said "If you really want to support anonymous, find those links and click them ASAP!"

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Wow,without warning?? (cant find the link)
I have repeatedly looked all around last night.Tumbler etc etc.
Thats totally not done.
Luckily I have no script running amongst others!!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I am ware of that, but I had in mind you had to download that program first, get it from his/their piratebay uploads or something. Not that a script would get you involved as soon as you click on the wrong thing.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I am ware of that, but I had in mind you had to download that program first, get it from his/their piratebay uploads or something. Not that a script would get you involved as soon as you click on the wrong thing.

they have tweaked the code to remove the old "click to fire" button now its activated as soon as somebody hits that site and stays active untill the web browser closes

dirty trick i think personally

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain

So, as much as I support Anon - I'm just giving a heads up to people who don't want to unwittingly get involved in the attacks.

Wow dude you might have just said "If you really want to support anonymous, find those links and click them ASAP!"

No because I didn't post any of the links, that was another member. I'm telling people to be aware and use their own instincts on the issue.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

No because I didn't post any of the links, that was another member. I'm telling people to be aware and use their own instincts on the issue.

the best thing to tell everybody right now is
Megaupload has no assets so wont be back online for a long time if ever
so anything claiming to be Megaupload dismiss as a plot to sucker you into more attacks

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

THX for the reply.

In this case - it doesn't. The LOIC was a hive system used to group members under an umbrella to attack targets, this new tactic just employs dodgy phishing sites via URL interaction.

Caution advised.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Getting tired of hearing about these guy's. They are no good. Anon is nothing more then script kiddies. Anon complains and moans about corrupt powers yet they do nothing to try and stop it, all they do is attack websites.

They even take credit for other peoples work.

Lets clear some things up.

1. Anon can only go as far as taking websites down, nothing more. Anything you hear about them "stealing peoples info" is a lie and was not done by Anon.

2. Anon is abusing what freedom's they have left on the internet.

3. Anon is making it worse for normal internet users.

4. Anon will be the reason the SOPA will come to pass.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I would rather be aware of this than not regardless of my position.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I have just lost some respect for Anon.
And likely some people have become involved now without knowing it, all THX to me because I have send a few links to friends. To look around only. It may not be much, but it's clear to me that you cant trust Anon.

That's me finished with them.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

I would rather be aware of this than not regardless of my position.

Thankyou - Raisin awareness is my only motive here, I don't care if anyone supports Anon or not, I just don't want innocents caught up in something they could have easily avoided, hence my warning.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
And so will I from now on. THX all.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

And likely some people have become involved now without knowing it, all THX to me because I have send a few links to friends. To look around only. It may not be much, but it's clear to me that you cant trust Anon.

I got a sneaky feeling anon are being set up for this.... I don't doubt they attacked the sites, but I think this new DDOS method of visiting a dodgy URL is not their usual method.

Just my thoughts.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Mega got shut down because the Corporations were losing Money. Corporations Hate given data for free. Laugh.Out.Loud.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr

Originally posted by xavi1000

Originally posted by nightbringr
Do these idiots not realize an attack on the White House, even if its website is treason, punishable by death? Might serve a few of these tools right to get the chair.

Wow ... electric chair for attacking a website ? where do you live ? in Somalia ?

Just thinking of implications.

Whats next? Attack the White House, Pentagon, and perhaps a missile silo or two? Yeah, dangerous and irresponsible doesnt begin to describe these attacks. While i understand and agree with what they are trying to do to an extent, their tactics are horribly flawed.

Missile attacks?

You apparently know nothing about military systems and dedicated networks. Reminds me of the days when Kevin Mitnick was in jail and government banned him from using a telephone free-handed because they thought he could launch missiles just by dialing!

The military's IT/IS infrastructure may be back dated some but believe me you will have one hell of a time attempting to launch ICBMs from your home system. The Chinese with their LEGION of 733t cannot do it, and neither can anyone else outside of the system.

There is a reason why those capabilities are closed to outside systems and is limited to a closed loop that exclusively includes the President of the United States "football".

*Preposterous
edit on 20-1-2012 by maestromason because: *addition

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

I got a sneaky feeling anon are being set up for this.... I don't doubt they attacked the sites, but I think this new DDOS method of visiting a dodgy URL is not their usual method.

Just my thoughts.

But on Twitter they seemed happy with proceedings...

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join