It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous takes down Department of Justice, RIAA, Motion Picture Association and Universal Music

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by cerebralassassins

without sounding smug or as some cyber trooper, 1minute in the cyber world essentially equals to about 2-3hrs of real life

I was thinking more along the lines of the reporting. Some people can't even type fast enough to churn out articles covering the story so quick. Let alone get it proofread.

..and some have it already typed out and scheduled for internet exposure posting on major networks. Coincidence that such a high profiled site going down on the closing of a cyber protest ? . Perhaps people should to sit back and really take a look at how well the cyber world is constructed, this is and perhaps might the last opportunity to visually understand how the cyber world is structured and its impact on various sectors regarding supposed free flow of information. An example is they are suggesting 500mil in losses, but they are not informing the public at the trillions in sales and what taxes have been placed back into the host nation that supplied the platform to sell such a product. Product being the movie, the music, the photo and the list goes on across all sectors of public distribution under the brand name of capitalism.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

Cyber World War I being the first time piracy became an issue on the web and Napster was shut down. Of which imo is why I feel there are so many "sharing alternatives" today. That was the first skirmish.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by whenWEallFALLdown
It's like the death penalty, killing someone because he killed someone. I appreciate the fact that they go to bat for "us," I just wish they could find a diff tactic then retaliating by doing the same thing theyre supposedly against

Sometimes you just have to fight fire with fire.

They are doing this even tho that law hasn't been passed.
Think of what they will do when it does.
Guess we'll have to go back to the old fashioned method of shearing.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Just so we are all on the same page here, does it not seem odd that so many have flagged the page yet only a selective group of individuals are replying within 2 pages -2742
edit on 19-1-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Is this the beginning of " Cyber World War II

I did not know the first cyber war had ended..

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Touche'

2nd

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Maybe. Personally I went and checked and DOJ is indeed down. So some people are saying this could be a false flag cyber attack or something, but I'm wondering how that could help SOPA get passed... In other words, would SOPA passing help prevent incidents like this? I don't know but honestly I have not looked in depth at what SOPA really is, besides... "Anti Piracy"...

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
It's hilarious how these copyright nazis are always fighting technologies that end up making them billions. I guess even the bottom feeder lawyers need some pointless venture so they can justify their salaries.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins
Just so we are all on the same page here, does it not seem odd that so many have flagged the page yet only a selective group of individuals are replying within 2 pages -2742

Maybe because this isn't the only thread about this and the other members are probably posting on the other threads:

Anonymous attacks whitehouse.gov after taking down Department of Justice and others

Indictment Charges Megaupload Site With Piracy

Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founder charged

Some may not have "Anonymous" in the title, but they are still being discussed.

Also, as the duplicate threads get closed, more people will come to this one.
edit on 19-1-2012 by Casandra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sek82

Maybe. Personally I went and checked and DOJ is indeed down. So some people are saying this could be a false flag cyber attack or something, but I'm wondering how that could help SOPA get passed... In other words, would SOPA passing help prevent incidents like this? I don't know but honestly I have not looked in depth at what SOPA really is, besides... "Anti Piracy"...

Unless SOPA is a distraction and the real legislation they want to pass is to be able to detain "cyber-terrorists" indefinetly, without right to trial....

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Because it makes the internet look bad...

OMG the government is a wild unexplored zone, we NEED more government control so they can protect us. Without these laws even their sites aren't safe!

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
A Fly In Their SOPA

Why does it thicken, simply curious as to why you think that ?

Well, it's not getting any thinner, that's for sure.

But with this controversy expanding from various forms of protest into a cyberwar, things are definitely heating up, and it's becoming increasingly difficult to predict where this is all headed.

It's a fair bet that the attacks on these sites will be met with counterattacks, which will themselves be met with counter-counterattacks, etc.

I personally think attacks like these are counterproductive, and that their ultimate effect is to justify more funding for online "counterterrorism" programs and attempts to impose ever more draconian controls on the Internet.

That's not a good thing, but as officials continue to overreach their authority and alienate more and more people, the silver lining may ultimately be holding them more accountable for their actions and, perhaps, the recall of those who abuse the trust of their elected and appointed offices.

That may be excessively optimistic, but as long as hope remains, there's still hope.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by UberL33t

Is this the beginning of " Cyber World War II

I did not know the first cyber war had ended..

some say the 1C never has ended, indeed its replicating itself as to how ww1 was, total trench warfare, its what many are now familiar with as using proxy servers, bot networks etc. Perhaps to some this all sounds crazy and inane but to others its how one refers to it as hitting the nail on the head. Then there are those who have indications that 1C ended and 2C erupted just before the nelly sings again when a.t.t. was caught up in the no so discreet room and the cable found during a construction erection within nyc. Again, information has been suppressed but not deleted from all cache servers, this is what i was referring to within an earlier posts ( damage control). A very thought out analysis of how well the cyber world is structured is simply looking at your personal smart phone or any back end api you have to interact with anything connected to the net. Even the most simple functions are no longer command driven let alone the majority of net users are able to operate on a command line basis. This to some is number 3C.

Btw..ats, your tweets to the net are 4min's in upload'd and cache'd to servers, s.o. seems kinda lazy last few weeks.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
A Fly In Their SOPA

Why does it thicken, simply curious as to why you think that ?

Well, it's not getting any thinner, that's for sure.

But with this controversy expanding from various forms of protest into a cyberwar, things are definitely heating up, and it's becoming increasingly difficult to predict where this is all headed.

It's a fair bet that the attacks on these sites will be met with counterattacks, which will themselves be met with counter-counterattacks, etc.

I personally think attacks like these are counterproductive, and that their ultimate effect is to justify more funding for online "counterterrorism" programs and attempts to impose ever more draconian controls on the Internet.

That's not a good thing, but as officials continue to overreach their authority and alienate more and more people, the silver lining may ultimately be holding them more accountable for their actions and, perhaps, the recall of those who abuse the trust of their elected and appointed offices.

That may be excessively optimistic, but as long as hope remains, there's still hope.

counterproductive, counterterrorism, accountable are what its all about. Then again, yesterday's revolutionary's are today's cyber terrorists...no ? So i put forward a simple question, why shouldn't one publish back end lookups to public servers ? , lets face it, one can do more damage purchasing a rifle and going postal in a street considering he/she will be affecting real life and not a virtual life, but yet here we are, that somehow in a decade they have managed to distort and merge a virtual world into a reality world and to think that the majority of users still prefer to pay for a service known as the internet, when it should be provided as a free means of communications since our species thrives and requires communication for it to evolve as a species. Communication and interaction for a common cause is what brought us as a species out from the caves.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Government controlling the internet is about as stupid as them telling you it's ok to have cable tv but they will pick the channels you get. When will the madness stop? If anon wants to do something how about hitting the bank accounts for the fat cats hit them where it hurts. Just hack in and hit delete, don't even stoop to their level and steal the money just make it disappear. Seeing as it's all just electronic money should be doable. Then maybe they will start to "wake up" and see they don't rule the world.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I think a better question to ask is: If they can do this already, what do they need SOPA/PIPA for?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exemplar
reply to post by Majic

I love the wording here. "piracy hub"? There was a ton of stuff on megaupload that was legit and they always took down files that violated copyright as soon as it was discovered. What exactly could megaupload have done to prevent this? They had 50 million users a day! I guess this is what we're paying the FBI to do these days? Heads up, someone just downloaded an mp3! Nevermind the rampant corruption in our government...someone didn't pay the music and movie mafia their due! And to make things worse, they shut them down with no warning, no trial and no due process.

But that's absolutely wrong.

MU had multiple takedown requests from various artists & companies for months that have just sat there that they failed to take action on.

What could they have done to prevent uploading of illegal content?
Well for one, blocking the MD5 hash of every piece of IC that had already been uploaded & removed before.
They refused to do that.

MU made people pay to upload pirated stuff, made people pay to download more than one file at a time, and made a massive profit off of all of it.
MU has been shady for years, which is why I've always stayed away from it & used other services, like MF.

This was going to happen sooner or later because MU simply doesn't give a crap.

What I hate about the whole situation is that idiotic congressmen are going to try & use MU as an example to get SOPA passed.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone

Originally posted by whenWEallFALLdown
It's like the death penalty, killing someone because he killed someone. I appreciate the fact that they go to bat for "us," I just wish they could find a diff tactic then retaliating by doing the same thing theyre supposedly against

Sometimes you just have to fight fire with fire.

They are doing this even tho that law hasn't been passed.
Think of what they will do when it does.
Guess we'll have to go back to the old fashioned method of shearing.

I understand the whole fight fire with fire, but, in this situation the more fire anon uses the more they fuel SOPA/PIPA's fire (to continue your analogy). Fighting fire with fire is not a universal solution and in my opinion poor justification.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MrBlueSky

damn! theyre on a role! i support them 100%. they are actually using their skills rather than not doing # and sitting on their ass.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
wtf is wrong with our government

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join