It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prosecutors shut down Megaupload and consequently Megavideo

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Feds Shut Down Megaupload.com File-Sharing Website | Techland | TIME.com

McLEAN, Va. (AP) — One of the world’s largest file-sharing sites was shut down Thursday, and its founder and several company executives were charged with violating piracy laws, federal prosecutors said.

An indictment accuses Megaupload.com of costing copyright holders more than $500 million in lost revenue from pirated films and other content. The indictment was unsealed one day after websites including Wikipedia and Craigslist shut down in protest of two congressional proposals intended to thwart online piracy.

(MORE: The 12 Coolest Things We Saw at the Consumer Electronics Show)

The Justice Department said in a statement said that Kim Dotcom, formerly known as Kim Schmitz, and three others were arrested Thursday in New Zealand at the request of U.S. officials. Two other defendants are at large.

Megaupload was unique not only because of its massive size and the volume of downloaded content, but also because it had high-profile support from celebrities, musicians and other content producers who are most often the victims of copyright infringement and piracy. Before the website was taken down, it contained endorsements from Kim Kardashian, Alicia Keys and Kanye West, among others.

Read more: techland.time.com...

Today Megavideo was shut down and all of the owners were indicted and are going to jail. Apparently our protests yesterday meant absolutly nothing and our government decided to shut down a legitiment website to prove they're amazingly cool.

Let's give a slow clap to the idiots who make these decisions. Oh and who hopes the government gets sued for all the people who paid for a product and now can't receive it? I do.

This infuriates me. I'm so rattled about it! If ATS didn't have such a strict policy regarding language I'd be throwing expletives around like crazy right now. I mean how is it legal for the government to take down a completely valid business??? And do the people who bought Megaupload premium accounts get their money back???

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Megavideos was crap anyway i missed loads of ending of films because it cuts off after 72 min. if anything i am glad it has gone.aslong as tv-links and watchmovies.net dont go i couldn't care less

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SupersonicSerpent

...well first off why were you watching movies on it? That's the reason it got shut down! Urg you and people like you are the reason that innocent people who run that site are indicted right now. I mean honestly. sdfasdf

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I have a theory as to why they did it too. They didn't even wait for SOPA to pass. Maybe it was revenge for what happened yesterday. I don't know for sure if that logic adds up but it's very coincidental that the day after the SOPA protests they take down a major internet business.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Yeah well that site was riddled with people going to theatres and recording movies and then uploading them to streaming sites.

Among other uploads of movies in fact i am aware of another site like that is soon to be shutdown..

I do not condone illegal activities but megavideo got what it deserved.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Not worse than youtube. Megavideo always responded to DMCAs really fast and took down infringing content. I just don't get it. What other site btw that's going to get taken down?

I mean honestly yes Megavideo was one of the major sites when it came to pirates watching stuff, but it also had a legitiment use. You know?
edit on 1/19/2012 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Well why not shutdown videoweed, putlocker aswelll

Damn how do I now cancel my recurring megavideo subscription ????????????

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Oh my. This is the start. A huge website, gone. Guys, sell your computers while they are worth something. These STUPID ***** ****** ***************** ******* **** ******* ****** ***** Feds are only out to destroy our lives, they don't care about any of you. Do you think that when the big companies are paying them money to do this, that they will stop and say " Oh wait this isn't right." It is clearly US against the U.S. We need to unify, our Government is a joke in every faucet of the game. They control us just like we could try to control a colony of ants. You can kill and torture, but soon the ants will just go back to colonizing, we are no different. We can get through this, lets get this Joke GOV out of here!

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Maybe pirates wouldn't have to pirate things if people were paid sufficient funds for everything and if everything weren't so expensive. The way the economy is and how the world is a rat race, they expect people NOT to cheat?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
3rd one today

please go to this one:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and OP, please use the search engine...

edit on 19-1-2012 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Anonymus where are you ?????

2nd line

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
the Anon machine is gearing up to fight back
who knows whats gonna happen now but its only the start on both sides thats for sure

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monte-Carlo
Anonymus where are you ?????

2nd line

Oh yea!! Good ol' anonymous. Ill try to predict how they will retaliate.

Would they possibly attack the agency in charge of the busts or will they hit the companies that supported these arrests or both? They usually give it a day or two no? Should be interesting!

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by football6

"They control us just like we could try to control a colony of ants. You can kill and torture, but soon the ants will just go back to colonizing, we are no different. We can get through this, lets get this Joke GOV out of here! "

Government is a combination of Latin words:
Govern = Control
Ment = Mind

Do you trust your mind controllers?

We'll be using old school bulletin boards you have to dial into before too long..

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Salamandy

they already have, universalmusic.com and justice.gov are currently down
edit on 19-1-2012 by MastaShake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myomistress
Maybe pirates wouldn't have to pirate things if people were paid sufficient funds for everything and if everything weren't so expensive. The way the economy is and how the world is a rat race, they expect people NOT to cheat?

My wife and me got interested in (maybe) playing SWTOR. (Star Wars the old Republic)

We would need two retail boxes which would be €50 each PLUS then the added cost for monthly subscription which would be approx €25 each...

In other words, it would cost us approx €150 (approx $200) if we wanted to try whether SWTOR is a good game.
Needless to say, unlike WoW there is also no free download or free trial period where you can check out the game.

THIS IS RAPE.

And people are wondering why games are getting pirated! (In the case of Swtor/WoW etc. it's moot anyway since you cannot pirate those games since they are MMORPGs. But that pricing is just...SHOCKING taking into account that you then also have to pay every month).

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by GovtFlu
reply to post by football6

"They control us just like we could try to control a colony of ants. You can kill and torture, but soon the ants will just go back to colonizing, we are no different. We can get through this, lets get this Joke GOV out of here! "

Government is a combination of Latin words:
Govern = Control
Ment = Mind

Do you trust your mind controllers?

We'll be using old school bulletin boards you have to dial into before too long..

In case anyone was wondering this isn't true at all.

The suffix -meant is a final word element derived through Middle English and French from the Latin suffix -ment(um), originally used to form agent and action nouns from verbs, now used to form nouns and denominative verbs in several related senses

Ment literally does translate as mind but we don't speak latin. All a 'ment' does is turn verbs into nouns.

Anyways thanks for the responses everyone. I'll be watching the thread. Enjoying the discussion. ;D
edit on 1/19/2012 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

Originally posted by Myomistress

My wife and me got interested in (maybe) playing SWTOR. (Star Wars the old Republic)

We would need two retail boxes which would be €50 each PLUS then the added cost for monthly subscription which would be approx €25 each...

In other words, it would cost us approx €150 (approx $200) if we wanted to try whether SWTOR is a good game.
Needless to say, unlike WoW there is also no free download or free trial period where you can check out the game.

THIS IS RAPE.

And people are wondering why games are getting pirated! (In the case of Swtor/WoW etc. it's moot anyway since you cannot pirate those games since they are MMORPGs. But that pricing is just...SHOCKING taking into account that you then also have to pay every month).

Thats why I dont pay those shocking prices, or maybe I would if the product interested me sufficiently who knows.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

I hope facebook goes too.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

apparently the anti-piracy scum is just going to ignore the fact that cnet(cbs), disney, microsoft and all the major backers of sopa
provided the tools and the means that created the whole piracy thing.
www.youtube.com...

it's all about forcing you to pay for YouTube as if it were HBO
edit on 19-1-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: fixed video

edit on 19-1-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: hmm video won't embedd hmmm

top topics

<<   2 >>

join