It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indictment Charges Megaupload Site With Piracy

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by lucid eyes
Liberal/Left-wing brainwashing has turned Millions into "we deserve to get everything for free" entitlement-brats. Im horrified of many of the comments here. If you derive benefit from a product, you should give something in exchange. This is so basic to life and the survival of our species that its really sad to read all the pro-piracy advocacy here.

To Bad the Inventor of the Steering Wheel was not Named had a Patent doing so
His Family Would be a Trillioniares !

Shouldn't Thomas Edison & Nicoli Tesla's Family be Trillioniares! !

as Tesla was Close to a Pauper at the Near End of his Life Should his Existing family get Royalties
Should Every Electric Company Around the World that Uses AC Power Give Royalty's to his Family ?

He did Have this Inventions Patented ! & Copyrighted

Mozart was a Pauper at a Time in his life he died from it buried in a Paupers Grave

Should Everyone that plays his Music should give dues & Royalty's to His Existing Family ?
if his Material Was patented or Copyrighted

You can see where this is Going the Insanity !

I guess we have to wait 70 years for the Copyright to End Unless someone reissues it!

Personally when i borrow a friends Album or Movie to see if i like it Ill Bye it !

DVDs I Rather buy it then get if from the internet

!! I Love the Special Features and Bonuses !!

I Usually get those DVDs with those Features !

Especially if i Already have it on VHS or a made a Copy I recorded
off HBO

Ill get the Movies on DVDs for the Clarity and Special Features & Bonuses

let alone VCR's are Obsolete ! now we will be forced to get it on Blueray

as Dvds would be Out the Door Next what the is Next Hologram Movies ?
Company's are making a Killing just in that alone

Movie

Blade Runner : VHS $ 80 Dollars
DVD $ 25 Dollars
Blu-Ray $ 15 Dollars (Walmart )

Blade Runner VHS 80 Bucks!! in 1983

How much did a VHS tape of Blade Runner cost in 1983?
www.quora.com...

So the Company's got 120 Bucks Out of Me !! for One Movie Alone!!
from 3 different Formats of the Same Movie

so if I got Blade Runner off the Net in a AVI Format a Format that would probably never Change

Yet i have Bought Blade Runner in 3 different formats and there are Software Tools to make a Conversion
but they are expensive to get and i don't have the patients to do the Conversion and i can get it from someone that did

Should i Feel Guilty ! of Piracy even tho i have the the Blade runner Movie in 3 different other formats ?
All I want is to just play it on my Portable Laptop (Net Book ) that has No Dvd player just a SD Card Input !! when i travel ? I have something I Enjoy to watch .....

If you have the Movie ( Bought it Already ) I shouldn't have to feel Guilty !!

Isn't there on some DVD's a Extra Digital Copy of the Film so you can put it on your laptop !!

what about the Old Rare Films I have bought that did not make it Dvd Yet ! let alone Bluray !!
edit on 21-1-2012 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by wulff
A couple of famous rock bands have stated if it wasn't for 'bootleg' copies nobody would have heard of them!

Explained!!! Here!!

Just in case ATS Missed it!

Lars Ulrich eats his words (Global Metal)

don't forget the Underground Music!! of the 70s 80s !!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfenz
DVD $ 25 Dollars

www.quora.com...

Two things:
First of all, nobody forces you to buy a movie several times. Upgrading from VHS to DVD makes sense, but there's no sense in buying the movie again on Blu-Ray if you have the DVD.
second: What are 120$? Think about how many times you watched Blade Runner since 1983. Was it worth the 120$? I guess so.

Next: VHS was 80 Dollars in 1983, now compared that to todays DVD and Blu-Ray prices (don't forget the inflation), what you see is that Media got a lot cheaper. Music CDs were also a lot more expensive 20 years ago. Are the copyright holders really greedy even though over the years they lowered the prices for their media? I think not.

I think it's amazing how cheap you can get music today. I just recently bought 5 albums from Foghat in a box for just 15€! That's a really fair price, there's no reason to pirate it and if you can't afford it, you don't deserve it. Simple as that, what people forget is that media are luxuries, you don't need them to survive, you have no right to listen to the music or watch the movies, unless you can afford it.

As another one said: "I want a Lamborghini". I wonder why it is OK at ATS for people to steal media when they always look down on robbers and other criminals "he robbed a bank, he should burn in hell", "he stole a car" but "I downloaded 500 music albums" is "OK". It's a double standard that i don't understand.

As somebody mentioned old video games: Those are collector's items and really intended for collectors only. I pay severall hundred euro for Neo Geo games, they are worth it, they are rare. If you can't afford them...why not use one of the various legal sources? There are compilations of old games for consoles like the PS2, PS3, Xbox360 and even PC, there's the Virtual Console on Wii, similar download services for the other systems, were you can buy those games for cheap prices. There's no reason to pirate them.

The only thing i can understand is download media that isn't available. Movies that aren't released on DVD/BR, games that aren't available (I like MAME, nobody can expect anyone to buy hundreds of arcade boards) and so on. I do it too, otherwise i would've never seen Turkish Star Wars and never seen anything from Smoky Mountain Wrestling. That's a whole different area. If it isn' officially available, download it.
But if it is available to buy, buy it. If you can't afford it, either get a better job or simply don't get it.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
If I had important work files and I lost them, I would sue the crap out of the government for millions. Lots of people store important files

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Well I don't agree with the SOPA and PIPA much like anyone else but I do have a problem with mega upload and I'll tell you why that is. As a independent film maker I already know that once a film is released you can bet its going to be posted somewhere as long as there is a demand for it, as a matter of fact lot of indies post it themselves just to get the exposure, what I didn't like about mega upload was that they charge a fees for there service since they host the video for streaming, so I can see sites like piratebay or iso where it's a file sharing system and mega upload allowing people to upload a film and chargining people money to watch it, so since they are making a profit from other peoples work that's where I think they have gone wrong and these charges are brought up against them. If I'm wrong feel free to respond.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Its about time the government started to show some brains. Websites like Megaupload cost the film and music industry billions and it does hurt the economy. Now I would suggest other sites that allow users to upload illegal files face the same fate as well as those internet forums which are only created to post mass movies and TV shows. The people that set up these rogue websites are probably starting to change their underwear now.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorT
Now I would suggest other sites that allow users to upload illegal files face the same fate as well as those internet forums which are only created to post mass movies and TV shows. The people that set up these rogue websites are probably starting to change their underwear now.
If they also have internal e-mails discussing their knowledge of illegal content without doing anything about it, then yes it may be underwear changing time for them too.

But if they didn't know about it, I don't see how they can be held responsible for what passes through their equipment.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Its about time the government started to show some brains. Websites like Megaupload cost the film and music industry billions and it does hurt the economy. Now I would suggest other sites that allow users to upload illegal files face the same fate as well as those internet forums which are only created to post mass movies and TV shows. The people that set up these rogue websites are probably starting to change their underwear now.

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

Anyway if American movies/video games/music weren't so bad most people wouldn't download. Megaupload saved me from paying $60 for a game that sucked. We the people need a solid reason to trust in the industry.

Trust and respect is key. If we don't trust them We'll disrespect them by downloading.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Well, maybe if they were not leaking government documents, they probably wouldn't of been taken down. Just IMO

"According to a PDF containing what purports to be a leaked psychological assessment of the leaders of LulzSec and Anonymous by the FBI"

This specific document was on megaupload.

www.itworld.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This really upsets me. My son is very upset too he likes his Pokeman and is watching the old episodes. I suggested another site, but the other is more virus prone.

Basically the constitution is violated with their crapola illegal bills.

The way it was for years, and still is in Canada, and its unconstitutional to change, is that if you paid for cable, and the show was on the regular cable, not a movie site like shaw on demand and you had to pay for it, but made it to the regular cables, and if you could therefore record it, you can watch it on any medium you wish and online. They can't legally prohibit this in any way shape or form.

Also hosting sites cannot be held responsible for the billions of people using their sites.

Any of those false contracts you say yes or no to when you join something is akin to a shot gun marriage and has no right to legally lift your constitutional rights and many judges have found this to be the case.
edit on 21-1-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85

Originally posted by Wolfenz
DVD $ 25 Dollars

www.quora.com...

Two things:
First of all, nobody forces you to buy a movie several times. Upgrading from VHS to DVD makes sense, but there's no sense in buying the movie again on Blu-Ray if you have the DVD.
second: What are 120$? Think about how many times you watched Blade Runner since 1983. Was it worth the 120$? I guess so.

Next: VHS was 80 Dollars in 1983, now compared that to todays DVD and Blu-Ray prices (don't forget the inflation), what you see is that Media got a lot cheaper. Music CDs were also a lot more expensive 20 years ago. Are the copyright holders really greedy even though over the years they lowered the prices for their media? I think not.

I think it's amazing how cheap you can get music today. I just recently bought 5 albums from Foghat in a box for just 15€! That's a really fair price, there's no reason to pirate it and if you can't afford it, you don't deserve it. Simple as that, what people forget is that media are luxuries, you don't need them to survive, you have no right to listen to the music or watch the movies, unless you can afford it.

As another one said: "I want a Lamborghini". I wonder why it is OK at ATS for people to steal media when they always look down on robbers and other criminals "he robbed a bank, he should burn in hell", "he stole a car" but "I downloaded 500 music albums" is "OK". It's a double standard that i don't understand.

As somebody mentioned old video games: Those are collector's items and really intended for collectors only. I pay severall hundred euro for Neo Geo games, they are worth it, they are rare. If you can't afford them...why not use one of the various legal sources? There are compilations of old games for consoles like the PS2, PS3, Xbox360 and even PC, there's the Virtual Console on Wii, similar download services for the other systems, were you can buy those games for cheap prices. There's no reason to pirate them.

The only thing i can understand is download media that isn't available. Movies that aren't released on DVD/BR, games that aren't available (I like MAME, nobody can expect anyone to buy hundreds of arcade boards) and so on. I do it too, otherwise i would've never seen Turkish Star Wars and never seen anything from Smoky Mountain Wrestling. That's a whole different area. If it isn' officially available, download it.
But if it is available to buy, buy it. If you can't afford it, either get a better job or simply don't get it.

you just dont get it do you ... Obsolete Formats !! 120 dollars through the Time span of 29 years
is what im talking about

80 bucks for Blade Runner AT THE TIME!!!!!!
in the Early 80s!!! wasn't bad compared to what other movies were selling at the time
when VCRS were Fresh !!! before the Actual VCR Recording WARS!!!! Ive Lived the Time... the Era...

no way cheaper
yeah Obliviously

Company lower their price's to prevent people copying them the rest Followed Movies Music
and Pc Games a $40 dollors for the Atari 2600 Cartridge Pac Man ! in 1981

Comany's are now doing it to Prevent Piracy of the Old Material! like your Foghat Especially when people buy a song on Itunes for a Buck for a Life time

what people forget is that media are luxuries, you don't need them to survive, you have no right to listen to the music or watch the movies, unless you can afford it.

Goosestepping ! that Sound like the Enabling Act of 1933 (Nazi Germany )

The Word is Computer games that are decade to decades old from Company's that No LONGER Exist
is Called Abandonware

what Happen a Rare video Game from a Console or a Obsolete Computer Commodore 64 thats Obsolete that did not hit other Formats and i just Happen to do a Remake of the Game in to the Pc IBM/Windowsxx Format and i have just put it up on a website for Everyone to Enjoy for Free AKA ( Fanware )

Same with Movies ...

I already have Blade runner and can show proof that ive Bought it (Receipt)
Proof of Purchase or the Actual Commercial Product

more less you bought the License

seeing I have the Right to Copy (((( Back Up ))) my Bought Movie for my Personal Use
or Even Convert it into a Different Format as Commercial Software Exist to do so as My Friends have the Movie and they Too Bought it and I Make a Copy for them as they do not have the Converter sofware

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Before you start spouting off on how great SOPA is, why don't you do a little research on what the bill actually allows. Just read on up this thread. Watch the videos. You might learn something. This is the healthcare bill on crack people.
Pretty soon we are gonna have to call a city representative for permission every time we need to take a leak!
Has the government ever responsibly used a power they were given.. or gave themselves.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
They act like file sharing put them in financial ruin, which is just complete bs. They don't talk about file sharing making them more popular! More popularity = more profit anyone can tell you that. So in essence SOPA and PIPA is doing more damage than good. Less popularity means extra costs in advertisement and extra costs in distribution. USA file sharing and piracy is minuscule compared to the rest of the world.

Media is what makes up the internet take away that and the internet falls. Then we will be back to green screen 8088 IBM's reading Google in text form. Is that what people want? All this is just upsetting the balance and piracy and file sharing is a necessary evil in that balance. Look at the Harry Potter franchise. Movies, books, games in excess of 10 billion or more in sales and it's continuing. Ask them if piracy financially ruined them and if they sit up at night crying over a few million in losses. How much did they gain back in file sharing popularity? Probably 10 fold the amount they lost! Talk about setting off your bs meter batman.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sisgood

To be honest I'm not interested in SOPA which is why I didn't 'spout off' about it. Every law has its positives and negatives.

Simply put if you can't afford to pay for music, movies and TV shows then its tough. As someone has already pointed out they are a luxury and regardless of morality, if you can't afford it, you can't have it. Just because you don't have the money doesn't give you the excuse nor the right to do what you like and download things illegally. Get decent grades in school, get a decent job and you can have those luxuries.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The beginning of an entirely new phase of what we may call the Internet Wars.

I'm not the first to notice this. As Kurt Nimmo and Alex Jones, of Infowars fame, pointed out in an article posted today entitled "The Great Internet Wars Have Begun," we wake up to an entirely new Internet era this weekend.

Yes, a war has been joined and human history shall never be the same. For one thing, the outcome is NOT certain – and the power elite that seeks to control and constrain the Internet may yet end up taking a step back – at least in these early rounds, anyway.

The elites actually have a limited playbook when it comes to influencing the larger society, though that is not intended to downplay its power. The Internet is what the elites need to destroy – or at least control – as soon as possible. Without control of the Internet, tens of trillions of sunk costs in building this vast matrix of complaisant scientists, academics, media moguls and corporate, military and religious chiefs is rendered virtually useless.

And this is why Alex Jones and others write that the war has now been fully joined. And it has.

The FBI raid, the ludicrous celebratory articles in mainstream publications about Kim Dotcom's ruin, the general sense that the US Justice Department has dismantled an entire corporation based on a shaky judicial theory – all this is a declaration of a kind of war, if not on the Inernet itself then on certain people who want to use the Internet in certain ways.

A battle has been joined, much as it was joined after the advent of the Gutenberg Press. But it is one that the elites had trouble finishing, and they only fully regained control of the conversation in my view in the 20th century. And now they have to do it all over again.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Filesonic got scared stopped all sharing

www.filesonic.com...

edit on 22-1-2012 by 3xil3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Down three.

Uploaded To...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Well uploaded only closed access to Americans.

If you have something you need to download, I would do it now.
edit on 22-1-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Hey You Know I Lost Some of My Files And It really Sucks........Even Now Im still pissed
I forgot To backup it Beacuse I didn't see this Would Happen...

I also Download Some Media Files on Megaupload and Now its Gone.....

In other words the goverment saying:
if ((people==rich)&&(people==havemoney))[
JOptionPane.showmessageDialog(null,"Rich Will Have Everything In This World!!");
]
else if ((people==poor)&&(people==DoesnthaveMoney ))[
JOptionPane.showmessageDialog(null,"Me and the Others Who Doesn't Have Money must Obey the Rich and Goverment all times even if they say that your going to war and kill yourself");

]

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Here is an update on the proceedings for Dotcom.

Dotcom 'extreme' flight risk - Crown

A decision will be made this afternoon as to whether four alleged internet pirates will be released from prison on bail.

The men, including Kim Dotcom, are appearing in the North Shore District Court today.

Judge David McNaughton is hearing each bail application separately, starting with Dotcom.

The Crown has opposed bail, saying Dotcom poses an 'extreme' flight risk and risk of reoffending.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join