It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News Earth Directed Solar Flare 1/19/2012

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Haven't read through all the posts here yet, so hope I'm not too off topic, but I tend to follow the solar patterns by way of a couple lasco/soho apps I have on my phone. I think its awesome that we have not only have the fortune of living in this period of time where so many changes are occuring in our solar system, but also are blessed with the technology that allows for the average person to closly monitor these amazing events in the palm of our hand.
Case and point, I Noticed a couple interesting images just a bit ago. The LascoC2 (red image) looks like it might have been interference that at first i dismissed as being due to the CME activity we've been having, but when I saw the C3 (blue image) it looks more like moving objects rather than random static/missing pixels. I see a lot of images that seem to have a lot of movement, but this is the first time I've seen one with this much activity. I understand that these things are usually nothing spectacular, but if these are actually moving objects, then I'd say it's getting pretty busy out there. Anyone got any clue what causes images like this? I follow solar stories, but I'd be lying if I said I was anything more than an amateur at best.

edit on 23-1-2012 by LucidFusion because: Fix photo link

edit on 23-1-2012 by LucidFusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mandms33

Yup. I remember that one. As I recall the images related were pretty impressive.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Our sun isnt capable of producing one of those end of days solar flares all the fear mongers are worried about. the worse that will happen is that our electonics/electrical grid will stop working. this is only for a very strong x class flare (if that). as someone before posted, there was a fairly weak x class flare directed at earth at some point in the past year and were all still here so anything below that is pretty much a joke

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MastaShake
Our sun isnt capable of producing one of those end of days solar flares all the fear mongers are worried about. the worse that will happen is that our electonics/electrical grid will stop working. this is only for a very strong x class flare (if that). as someone before posted, there was a fairly weak x class flare directed at earth at some point in the past year and were all still here so anything below that is pretty much a joke

I agree and disagree. I don't think we will see that "end of the world" scenario In the sense of total and complete devistation of our planet. At least not for a long time. However, I do believe that these solar flares/CME do have the potential to "end our world" in the sense of taking out the valuable electronic infrastructures that a large majority of our modern society is dependent upon. Imagine what would happen if tomorrow we woke up and all of our electronic and digital networks were permanently offline. Not the end of days in a biblical sense. But the end of an age none the less. That thought alone should encourage further research and advancements in our overall understanding of how these solar cycles work. We have a few thousand years of written history, of which only a few hundred years worth of established observations, with little more than half a century of observation with modern technology. That alone shows how little we really know about these events.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
It is reported as M9:
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I think this is the of the world

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
IMO, I would be a lot more worried about an earthquake. The flare, due to arrive today is just a strong M-Class,but with the recent new moon, and now I see a 6.3 in The Fiji islands,there may in fact be a stronger earthquake coming soon. Don't know where or when, just be alert!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join