It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Korean M1 Garands Finally Coming Home?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
First things first. All things considered, I would not hold my breath that this will actually happen. But if you are a C&R collector, historian, match shooter, or just a general fan of the M1, this is at least a light at the end of the tunnel. This could eventually mean an influx of 86,000 cheaper, "well loved", unissued (or unissued since refurb) Garand's.

Korea Times

Washington has agreed to allow the importation of M1 Garand rifles from Seoul, reversing its earlier decision to ban the shipping of the weapon used by South Korean and U.S. soldiers during the 1950-53 Korean War, a senior defense official said Wednesday.

The Obama administration blocked the purchase of 87,310 M1 Garands and 770,160 M1 Carbines in 2010, saying the American-made antique rifles could “potentially be exploited by individuals seeking firearms for illicit purposes.”

However,...

A senior defense ministry official, however, raised the possibility that the U.S. government may cancel the plan to allow the purchase the M1s, saying Seoul has yet to finalize negotiations with Washington.

``We have yet to receive confirmation from the United States over our proposal,” he said. “The U.S. government may change its position at the last minute due to political considerations.”

So, the Garand's may come home where they belong after all.

Existing Garand's can still be had from private sales. The best way to get one is through the Civilian Marksmanship Program. However, there is a very finite supply and they will eventually dry up forever and they will be almost impossible to get. If you feel compelled to own "10 pounds of Americana"-"The greatest battle implement ever devised"- the rifle your grandfather lugged arcoss Europe- Keep on the lookout! These will most likely be the last Garand's we will ever be able to get without having to mortgage the house to buy one.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
This is getting ridiculous.

First it's approved.

Then it's blocked.

Then it's approved again.

Then it's blocked with extreme prejudice.

Now it's approved again?

I hope they get here one way or another.

I imagine when/if they do most will end up with the CMP to be sold or used at camps.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Better bring em home and put them in the hands of 100,000 americans than leaave em on the market for 100,000 terrorists to buy cheap.......

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Ironically that was one of the excuses the administration used to nix the deal last time.

They feared, or claimed to fear, terrorism hijacking them during transport or falling into "homegrown" terrorist hands in the US.

If we refuse to buy them who will? And do we really want that "who" to buy them?

If the administration was going to be consistent with their excuses they'd pay SK to melt them all down so SK wouldnt have them in storage or be tempted to sell to others. But of course terrorism being the crock that it is doesnt call for any consistency to work it's scapegoat magic.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
an m1 garand used by criminals for illicit purposes? there are much better options than a 12 pound 3 foot long vintage assault rifle to commit crimes.

fully automatic mac-10's and ak-47's with the buttstock removed out gun a garand by a mile for committing crimes.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I was a member of the USAF Honor Guard.

I loved this rifle! We sanded and finished our own stocks. Named them. I gave mine a strong Korean name...
Maiwang. lol.

Upon my discharge there was discussion of discontinuing use in the Honor Guard in favor of the M14.

Drill team was very upset about this, as the M1 is much better balanced for their meat grinding rifle movements.

I wonder if they will bring it back?

EEEEYYYYES... RIGHT!

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Will it bring the prices down on guns? Most all guns are extremely expensive. I do not have $100 to throw away on a gun. I cannot understand why they cost so much. Guns should be less then $50 for a new one, but the cheapest I ever found were Russian guns covered in grease for $69 and just try to find ammo for them.

Cheap guns don't exist and they should. Everyone should have one or two.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Ookie

Sadly not many people are big fan of guns. If my dad sees this article he'll believe the terrorism explanation since he is very anti gun

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Would love to get my hands on an M1 carbine again.
It was the prefered weapon of my choice

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Reply to post by Ookie

Inexpensive guns were defacto banned thanks to congress making use of the media pounding the idiot public over the head with "disposable" gun stories.

And the added benefit of keeping poor people defenseless helped.

Gun control historically and currently is more to do with racism and classism than anything else.

MLK was denied a carry permit.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I talked to an M-1 Garand collector, at our gunrange, and he said that the price of Garand's won't come down, if the U.S. public gets a chance to buy the Korean Garand's; because they are in poor condition. I did not ask him where he picked up that kind of information.

Cheers,

Erno86

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Ookie

mosin nagants can be had for under 100 and ammo is relatively cheap (not like the good old days)and will kill pretty much any game in north america,while often maligned high points can be had at pawn shops for 100 and under (got a 45 and a 9mm hand gun for 90 and 105 respectively) and the pawn shop in my town has some old 12 gauges for around 110-150 (single shot and some weird pump gun ive never seen b4) but i do agree to an extent that guns should be cheaper but not to the point where any crazy or crack head can just go get one for trading a pack of smokes or what not

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

You and I see eye to eye on many things. TPTB are beyond ridiculous for not allowing these rifles to come back to the US. And their excuse as to why not is also just totally laughable.

Unfortunately we will never see the carbines come home. Those have an evil detachable magazine!

Erno86, I also heard through the grapevine that many of these rifles are in poor condition. I have also heard that many are refurb unissued. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to find out.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
What would be nice is for the South Koreans to send over some M2 Ball milsurp to lower the price. Garands are great shooters but the price of ammo (for those of us who don't reload) is rather expensive. That's why I went with the Carbine, $14 for 50 rds! You're almost paying $1 per round for the .30-06 ammo that's made specifically for the Garand...unless you buy an aftermarket adjustable gas plug.

Reading through the CMP board, they're not too impressed by this news. They're thinking the Garands will be import marked and fairly beat up. The price is low at $220 but that will be inflated by the importers to $660+. If you're able and really want a collectible piece of history, best bet is to go through the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

I don't see how anyone would use these for the sole purpose of criminal activity, not with the amount of cheap AKs and AR15s on the market. These guns are for collectors and target shooters...bring 'em home!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I do hope this happens, I have wanted a M-1 for my collection for some time. The cost has been just too high the last many years. But I will not hold my breath.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The cost certainly has been high. Not just for M1 Garands but for 1903 Springfields as well.

I too would like to see more of them come home.

Oh..by the way..this is incredibly stupid as a rationale for anyone who can think outside of the box of fear and insecurity thinking so popular today

The Obama administration blocked the purchase of 87,310 M1 Garands and 770,160 M1 Carbines in 2010, saying the American-made antique rifles could “potentially be exploited by individuals seeking firearms for illicit purposes.”

You have to go to public school to get this naturally stupid as a political stance. Have any of you priced 30.06 caliber ammunition lately??? How about 30 Carbine ammunition?? .30 Carbine ammunition first off is expensive and you no longer find it in alot of places as once it was available.

And 30.06 ammunition used in the M1 Garand is also expensive. I dont know many people in the "Illicit Business ": with enough skills to keep and maintain an M1 Garand...much less wanting to afford to feed one. Not enough magazine capacity for them. And as I said...30 carbine ammo is not that available today as it once was.

If you have enough skills to keep and maintain an M1 Garand or M1 Carbine you have enough skills to get a job outside the Illicit market.

That is why I say that you have to go to public school to get this stupid so as to use the Illicit Marketplace and such fears to justify keeping such guns out.

Also this line of thinking looks extremely stupid and just plain insecure on the part of Government after getting their hands caught in the cookie jar with "Fast and Furious."
This is another reason only public school can dumb people this naturally far down...and Government here is looking very dumb....without excuses.

They can give guns to drug people but Government is worried about Americans having guns??? Because of fears of Illicit purposes?? Astonishing to me the level of incompetence and just plain stupidity in government. Talk about putting the cart before the horse.

There is something very very morally bankrupt about a government who would train and arm you to go off and fight their dirty wars for them but not trust you with a firearm when you get home...because they think you might do ..."Illicit purposes!!"
See what I mean about public school training in stupid??? And then there is "Fast and Furious!!"
Astonishing!!!

Once you begin to teach yourself to get past a public school education and think once in awhile outside the box..you see alot of just plain olde stupid around you every day. And not only is stupid getting worse..but many of our leaders are leading the charge here. And some of our leaders dont think anyone even notices.
Astonishing!!

By public school education I mean a television/movie education majoring in emotional instant gratification and insecurities/fears.

Thanks,
Orangetom
edit on 21-1-2012 by orangetom1999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Could someone please explain to a Limey and a WW2 enthusiast what the CMP entails/is about? Is it some kind of shooting school/awareness group?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kolya
Could someone please explain to a Limey and a WW2 enthusiast what the CMP entails/is about? Is it some kind of shooting school/awareness group?

From the Civilian Marksmanship Website, "The CMP was created by the U.S. Congress as part of the 1903 War Department Appropriations Act. The original purpose was to provide civilians an opportunity to learn and practice marksmanship skills so they would be skilled marksmen if later called on to serve in the U.S. military. Over the years the emphasis of the program shifted to focus on youth development through marksmanship. From 1916 until 1996 the CMP was administered by the U.S. Army. Title XVI of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1996 (Public Law 104-106, 10 February 1996) created the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice & Firearms Safety (CPRPFS) to take over administration and promotion of the CMP. The CPRPFS is a tax-exempt non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation that has been Federally chartered by the U.S. Congress, but is not an agency of the U.S. Government (Title 36, United States Code, Section 40701 et seq). Apart from a donation of surplus .22 and .30 caliber rifles in the Army's inventory to the CMP, the CMP receives no Federal funding."

For more information please go to their website at: www.odcmp.com...

There are many CMP affiliated clubs throughout the United States. The club by my house will let you borrow a Garand for their monthly competition. I picked up an M1 Carbine to use but will most likely purchase a Garand through the CMP.

If you have anymore questions, let me know.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
That sounds a lot like the reasoning behind the National Shooting Centre here in the UK. Thanks for the info.

As for the M1s, I own a deactivated Lee-Enfield No4 - if I had the means to pass for the right licence I could (in spite of the UK's otherwise strict gun laws) purchase a working version relatively easy, due to the fact that so many still exist - and the aforementioned NSC (at Bisley, in Surrey) isn't too far from my general location. The idea of US shooters having to be VERY lucky to be able to even see a working copy of their 'national' rifle of WW2, never mind to own and use one, is quite a sad thought given the clear enthusiasm and awareness for shooting sports and history in the US.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
For those who wish to see the M1 Garands and M1 Carbines come home, there is a petition on WhiteHouse.gov at: petitions.whitehouse.gov...

Last I checked, there were only 21,091 signatures! If you care about these historic rifles and don't wish to see them destroyed, please sign the petition. If there are enough signatures, they'll at least have to respond!

Just checked my link and doesn't bring you to the actual petition, but if you scroll down you can find it. Take a couple of minutes and help out. Thanks!
edit on 21-9-2013 by Feltrick because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join