It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What FACEBOOK and GOOGLE are hiding from the world

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Stumbled on this excellent video that anyone who uses the internet needs to watch. This man literally, could not have put this in a better way. The best argument I have seen against SOPA, and he doesnt even know it.

Please read: Posting Video Links!

ATS Terms and Conditions of Use

1k.) Video links/embeds: You will not embed or post a link to a video without a reasonable description of its content and why it interests you, is germane to the topics discussed on ATS or the topic of an existing thread should you post it in a reply to an existing thread.

So remember:

* Link
* Description

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Good video, Thank's will be searching TED i think later.

Btw even better picture lol.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
It does my head in when i search for something at work and find it and then have to spend hours trying to find the same stuff at home or vice versa

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I think this video has been around a while. I watched it last year sometime I believe, that or he gives the same presentation each time. Great video. This was the video that made me want to attend TED.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Dionisius

Seen this video before and it is actually fascinating.
People should definitely watch this.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Can anyone summarize what the video is talking about? For those of us who cannot watch the videos, but would like to know why the video is important. What are Facebook and Google hiding?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Dionisius

Thanks for posting this important clip! Very interesting and troubling...

S&F

IRM

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Yes, waiting for even a little synopsis.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Anyway we can get some information for us who do not have access to video???

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
It basically states that Google and Facebook are tailoring searches to each individual, via algorithms, everytime they use their search function. So these companies are using algorithms to decide whats best for you.

Very telling of the future, IMO.

The exact reason why I don't use google or facebook.
I don't need someone, or something else, telling me whats good for me.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Here's some idea of the content for those who can't watch the video

thoughtcatalog.com...

These days, when one searches Google, the search engine adjusts and filters its results using 57 signals gleaned from the user’s past online behavior. It’s a similar story with Facebook – it modifies a user’s news feeds according to, among other behavior, the types of links she most often clicks and the friends with whom she interacts the most. Unfortunately, Pariser pointed out, such algorithms that decide what we see (and subsequently what we think) based on relevancy are, well, perhaps making us dumber.

Because what such relevancy-based algorithms do is narrow the field of information to which the user is exposed, and over time, basically deny the user of anything other than content that runs the same lines as her own opinions, sources and points of view. “A squirrel dying in front of your house may be more relevant to your interests right now than people dying in Africa,” said Mark Zuckerberg to his staff as he introduced the then-new concept of Facebook’s News Feed. This train of thought is basically the problem Pariser’s referencing: users may indeed favor icanhazcheezburger content or autotuned celebrity freakouts, but a content stream modified to suit such click behavior could theoretically make a meme fanatic into a veritable zombie.

I’m sure this isn’t part of some nefarious master plan of Google and Facebook to make us all complacent drones more likely to lay down and accept the imminent Google/ Facebook world takeover. And the argument that technology is making us dumber isn’t, in any capacity, a new one.

edit on 19/1/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
To turn off Google's personalised search feature...

support.google.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
The video is from TED.

TED: Ideas worth spreading.

TED is a nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading -- through TED.com, our annual conferences, the annual TED Prize and local TEDx events.

www.ted.com/

There is an invisible shift in how information is flowing online. Zuckerberg says that a newsfeed is important because of inane things in life that are more important to you than things that have a direct impact on your life.

The speaker noticed that while using facebook, conservative links have disappeared from his facebook feed. Facebook calculated that he had been clicking on liberal links more than conservative links. Without consulting him an algorithm had changed the facebook interface for him.

Facebook is not the only one that is editing results for people.

If two people use Google there is a large change that both results would be different for identical searches.

Google uses information anywhere from what type of computer you are using, to where you are located. It personal tailors query results. In other words, there is no "Standard Google".

He asked a bunch of friends to Google Egypt and return the results to him. In one person, their results had no results regarding the recent protests, and the other had a list of links referring to the process.

Yahoo is also personalizing their content.

This moves us very quickly to a world which the internet shows us what it thinks we want to see. But not really what we may need to see.

He calls this a filter bubble. A unique personalized universe of information. But you don't get to decide what goes into it, and you don't see what is outside of it.

The challenge with these filters, is that they are looking at what you are clicking on first. But if it was not tailored there is a possibility that you may have clicked many other links after that first one. But controlling the flow of information it is interfering with the natural course of choice.

The algorithms do not have a sense of ethics, so they need to be altered to show alternate points of view. He refers to old newspapers that tailored their information. Referring to the current internet as 1915-style censorship.

-----------------------

Personal note, I agree with this video. If you change what people are allowed to see, or what is presented to them immediately, it will change the outlook and the choices of that person. The world population is prejudice enough as it is, and everyone needs to see alternative viewpoints that don't necessarily reflect their own opinions.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I just spent 5 minutes paraphrasing that. And you post a bloody link!

That's the last time for that...

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Sorry mate

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
One of the telling quotes is

A squirrel dying in front of your house may be more relevant to your interests right now than people dying in Africa. - Mark Zuckerberg

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by blupblup

I just spent 5 minutes paraphrasing that. And you post a bloody link!

Thanks to you both, this is knowledge empowering people, turn on, tune in, drop out.

peace!

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
One of the telling quotes is

A squirrel dying in front of your house may be more relevant to your interests right now than people dying in Africa. - Mark Zuckerberg

Also known as "Everything that is wrong with the world today"

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
They have been doing this for some time now.

As "S"uckerberg states, "...right now...."

The point being, that the search engines will alter the results as your behavior changes. This is in response to people saying search engines "are too stupid" and present "too many irrelevant results". Now that search engines are "smarter" and try to present results more in tune with your past behavior, everyone thinks it is a conspiracy.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

No we dont think it is a conspiracy, quite simply it is choosing what we read and watch, also limiting our outlook and knowledge of the world.

A varied and balanced diet is the best for your body, just like a varied and balanced internet is best for your brain

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join