It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doubts on North Korea From Dead Leader’s (estranged) Son

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Kim Jong-nam, photographed in Macao in 2010, is Kim Jong-il's estranged eldest son.

TOKYO (AP) — A new book claims that the estranged eldest son of North Korea’s late leader, Kim Jong-il, believes that the impoverished government is in danger of collapse and that his young half brother, hailed as the new leader, is merely a figurehead.

The author, Yoji Gomi, a journalist for Tokyo Shimbun, said that over a number of years, he exchanged 150 e-mails with the older son, Kim Jong-nam, and spent a total of seven hours interviewing him.

The book, “My Father, Kim Jong-il, and Me,” which went on sale on Wednesday, drew immediate attention as a rare view into the family that has led the secretive country for decades, even though Kim Jong-nam is thought to be estranged from his family and the workings of government.

Well this is interesting, seems there is a "black sheep" in this family. This Kim Jong-nam seems to think that his brother is just a figurehead. Is this jealousy, or the truth?

“Jong-un will just be a figurehead,” the book quotes him as saying. It also claims that he has called the collapse of North Korea’s economy likely unless the government initiates reforms, which could also bring it down.

“Without reforms and liberalization, the collapse of the economy is within sight,” Mr. Kim is quoted as saying. “But reforms and opening up could also invite dangers for the regime.”

I guess time will tell. N. Korea will eventually have to bend to the ways of the world one way or another if they hope to remain any sort of player. Though they have a few numbers militarily I can't foresee them ever being able to over-throw the world. This nam guy seems pretty cool, perhaps they should give him a run at it when/if N. Korea ever gets off their high-horse.

NYT Source Article
edit on 1/19/2012 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

I think this estranged son is probably about correct. A nation like North Korea can't last for much longer and I have a feeling Kim Jong Un won't see old age.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Agreed, but I think his demise will come as a result of the military that seemingly runs the country. The analogy I like to compare it to is a pressure cooker. Their military has all these numbers, all this apparent weaponry, and no one to use it on. They are isolated in that small little section of the world. They boast it with periodic "show of force" antics.

This "kid" they have leading the country put's a BIG damper on the "Umph" they have tried to portray in the past.

The economy, well, there is only so much one country can do if they keep themselves isolated from the world with the direction it appears to be heading imo.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by UberL33t

I think this estranged son is probably about correct. A nation like North Korea can't last for much longer and I have a feeling Kim Jong Un won't see old age.

I think Kim Jong-Un is far too valuable to do away with. The military leaders there will need him to direct and manipulate their gullible public, and having him die under any circumstance will not bode well for them against the opinions of their people.

I agree with the economic forecast in that NK cannot sustain itself, and as China continues a decline, their relationship of support to NK will suffer too.

I guess It's really a contagion scenario. Americans will stop buying Chinese goods either through poverty or boycott, China's economy will suffer tremendously through this, and China will likely stop buying from NK, because they simply don't have the need while prioritizing home-grown products.
I think I'm right in suggesting that China is the sole customer of NK goods, and without an economically strong China, NK won't have anyone to sell to.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I think I'm right in suggesting that China is the sole customer of NK goods, and without an economically strong China, NK won't have anyone to sell to.

I think you are too. So that raises the question will N. Korea take a diplomatic approach and attempt to be a positive player in the world, or will they take a more sinister route?

I would like to see a unified Korea in my lifetime.
edit on 1/19/2012 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I thought they mentioned that the North Koreas new leader is getting a lot of help from family members and military? I didn't think he would take over completely on his own anyway, hes way too young....

top topics

join