It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ultimate Doctor Who casting irony.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
The makers of Doctor Who really shot themselves in the foot when they cast Marc Warren and Shirley Henderson in the episode called Love and Monsters. If ever there was a perfect Doctor and Doctor’s Assistant, it was those two gifted actors.

Their quality shows up all the other peculiar and underwhelming casting decisions of the new Doctor Who franchise. I love how the Radiotimes and BBC keep trying to promote Karen Gillan despite her not having the requisite charisma to be a long and lasting star.

Anyway. The best ever paring would have been Warren and Henderson and using them as minor characters in a throw away episode, highlighted either casting problems [Billy piper for crying out loud!] or what might have been.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by mandroids

All I care about is Tennant is gone. He was a perfect doctor.`

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
what is it about moffet?is it just me or is sherlock in moffets version too like the eleventh doctor?they even look similar(ugly dudes).

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376
what is it about moffet?is it just me or is sherlock in moffets version too like the eleventh doctor?they even look similar(ugly dudes).

Almost like a blueprint feature on your PC where you change names and setting.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

Agreed. I still love the new Doctor Who but it's just not the same without David Tennant at the helm.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

Agreed. I still love the new Doctor Who but it's just not the same without David Tennant at the helm.

...But my thread is about Warren and Henderson!!

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Great a thread about my favourite show !

Sorry OP, I have to disagree with you over the casting of Henderson, and Warren, personally for me Benedict Cumberbatch for next doctor, after watching Sherlock, I can very well see him fulfilling the role of Doctor, and doing it well.

Marc Warren, just doesn't have the presence for me, oh and he is blonde ! (Omg, I'm gonna burn for this)

Tall, dark, and quirkishly handsome, that's my doctor, I know the thread isn't about him but....

David Tennant absolutely nailed it as the doctor, perhaps it was the character development over the seasons I don't know, but for me he will always be the ultimate.

Assistant wise I'm not quite so clear on, I think its a tough role, hell maybe I'll throw my hat in the ring

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon
Great a thread about my favourite show !

Sorry OP, I have to disagree with you over the casting of Henderson, and Warren, personally for me Benedict Cumberbatch for next doctor, after watching Sherlock, I can very well see him fulfilling the role of Doctor, and doing it well.

Marc Warren, just doesn't have the presence for me, oh and he is blonde ! (Omg, I'm gonna burn for this)

Tall, dark, and quirkishly handsome, that's my doctor, I know the thread isn't about him but....

David Tennant absolutely nailed it as the doctor, perhaps it was the character development over the seasons I don't know, but for me he will always be the ultimate.

Assistant wise I'm not quite so clear on, I think its a tough role, hell maybe I'll throw my hat in the ring

Is David Tennant tall? Looks like a shorty to me!

Sorry OP, have to disagree with you too. Mind you, im probably older than you so for me Doctor Who has to be Tom Baker

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Yes, he is 6 foot 1

link to height stats

Mmmmm, yummy

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I am right and you are all wrong.
But, seriously, they are both gifted actors with star power [charisma] and their casting showed up the other lesser actors.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

Aahh but that is celebrity facts - always take with a pinch of salt, like the never ending 30's that they all seem to have!

Or maybe you just have to be famous to be in your thirties for much longer than 10 years!

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
BILLY FREAKING PIPER!!! I mean, consider all the talented actors coming out of drama school and SHE was the best they could come up with? give me a break. This new era for Doctor Who wont be vintage.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Matt Smith is 'THE' best Doctor!!

Tennant was great and I thought at the time no one could top him, but Matt Smith is just incredible! nailed it on the head in the 1st episode.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Matt smith? Give me a break. He has that mumble jumble style of acting that is so irritating. Also his immense sized head annoys me!
Marc Warren and Shirley Henderson, the greatest Doctor and Assistant we never had. But that’s the UK for you; we never give the right man the right job. E.g. Brian Clough and the England manager job.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mandroids
Matt smith? Give me a break. He has that mumble jumble style of acting that is so irritating. Also his immense sized head annoys me!
Marc Warren and Shirley Henderson, the greatest Doctor and Assistant we never had. But that’s the UK for you; we never give the right man the right job. E.g. Brian Clough and the England manager job.

For me personally, I think Marc Warren looks too aggressive.

Again, it's only a personal opinion but for me The Doctor has always been a childlike genius who marvels in everything and I think Matt Smith captures that well.

Oh and as for side kicks, I always thought Carey Mulligan as Sally Swallow would've been great.
edit on 19-1-2012 by Mister_Bit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Marc Warren would have also been good casting [when younger] for Alex in a new Clockwork Orange. The lastest Doctors have been wimpy, PC BBC fodder.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by mandroids
Marc Warren would have also been good casting [when younger] for Alex in a new Clockwork Orange. The lastest Doctors have been wimpy, PC BBC fodder.

Yeah, I'd agree with that, perfect for that role.

join