It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Beast Of Gevaudan - History's most terrifying and well-documented cryptid

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jimbo999

Just my two cents - but I see a mix of behaviors here. This may be a little gory but I don't know any other way to explain my thoughts.

On the one hand you have going for the throat, ripping open, eating of organs, the slinking along on its belly before attack. These are classic actions of a predatory animal. Not to mention all the various sightings of an animal of some type.

On the other hand you have things like the scattered clothes in being found in good shape, the daylight attacks, the time between killings, etc. The "smart" actions of the beast in some cases. They tell me of human involvement and possibly a trained beast working in tandem with its master.

I don't know what the beast was but I think some of the attacks show signs of human involvement and training. Scary to think of this thing as a madman's pet.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Interesting observations frogs - thanks.

Definitely something to ponder there.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Well the documentary i saw that i mentioned in an earlier post,which said that this beast was probably a hyena,or perhaps two of them,that were brought over by someone on a ship from africa and then it or they escaped out into the wild,also mentioned that it was possible that the hyena or hyenas were trained by someone,trained to kill and that the person who trained them,would perhaps sometimes,or everytime,accompany the hyenas and stay hidden close by as they killed who he told them to kill and keep in mind that at least 99% of people back then in the mid 1700's and rural people especially,wouldnt even have known what a hyena was and would not have known what one looked like either,they would have thought it was some kind of monster...

edit on 25-1-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula

One very important factor that we must keep in mind about the people of france concerning this beast.Is the fact that not so many years earlier from when this thing began killing people,there had been many thousands of people over an extended period of time who were accused of being werewolves.People who were then put on trial and many of them were convicted and hundreds,probably even thousands of them were executed.So theres no doubt that paranoia and superstitions about werewolves were already rampant and widespread in france and those fears and memories of those trials surely added to the larger than life stature that this beast attained...

True enough.

J.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

The trial records of lycanthrope increased at an epidemic rate.In France alone between 1520 and 1630 some 30,000 individuals were labeled as werewolves,many of them underwent traumatic interrogation and torture.Confessed or not,most of them suffered vile death at the stake...

Werewolves Cases from Medieval French Chronicles > alam25.tripod.com...

Just imagine,Witches were not the only thing people were terrified of and accused of being back then,yet all we ever here about are the Witch hunts,tortures,trials and executions,never about the Werewolf hunts,tortures,trials and executions...over 30,000 in france alone...Unbelievable...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

You seem to know a lot about these myths. I find it interesting that werewolves and witches were persecuted in such a way. I can understand why though, they touch on some pretty base fears. Is there any kind of record of vampire accusations or trials anywhere in the world? Can't imagine why they would be left out.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by lawgiver00

As unbelievable as it seems,during the late 1800's through 1915,Professional Vampire Hunters were actually employed in New England and also in New England,where i live,down through the years,many coffins have been purposefully exhumed,or acccidently unearthed during construction projects and when they fell open,the skeletons within had wooden stakes driven into their hearts...I kid you not,these things are not the invention of Hollywood > crazyhorsesghost.hubpages.com...

edit on 30-1-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I realize they have been around forever thanks for the info. Time to do some digging on my own.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I think all these stories about creatures and the such are Khazar / illuminati symbolism. the NWO has disguised itself as creatures in the past to instill fear., look at the wonders religious based fear caused with daemons. after they usurped all major religions they started all these myths to actually honor demons. they are luciferians

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Fascinating , sounds like it hunts , kill , feeds then goes into some sort of hibernation to appear years later to do it again .
need to learn more there is a definite pattern to it from what can see.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Wouldn't surprise me if Old Lovecraft caught onto the tales and incorporated a somewhat stylised version into his story The Hound. Though in this case he set the area in Holland. Still not far from the Frenchie beaten track.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo999

Originally posted by fedeykin

Originally posted by jimbo999

Originally posted by fedeykin
My guess it was some kind of psychotic person, a mass murderer.

If you think about it, back then there were no forensics and a relatively smart, but crazy person could have gotten away with all kinds of crazy things.

Making it look like some kind of beast did it just took all the suspicion off the local populace.

If people are freaking, especially back then, it would have probably sufficed to walk around with a bear or wolf pelt on your head to make them think it was a beast.
edit on 19-1-2012 by fedeykin because: (no reason given)

The problem with that theory is that there were many attacks that involved multiple witnesses that survived - and they all described the same creature. This thing was described as being as big as a young cow or bull - ie several hundred pounds. It's favorite technique was to instantly decapitate it's victims - just doesn't sound like anything a human being could pull off to me. But you never know...

I agree that the one major problem with my hyopthesis is the fact that the creature was seen so often. But I am sure that there is an explanation to this such as mass hysteria or someone dressing up in a Big Foot outfit.

Maybe read the web pages I linked if you can - they are fascinating and well worth the read. If you can, check out the first one I linked - it's by a Frenchman (in English) and has tons of detail and reports from the period.
Cheers.

It may of had help....

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrsBlonde
in the time this took place there was a public tendency to classify pedophiles and serial killers and rapists as werewolves or beasts,having said that I have been sitting on this 8000 year old small sculpture of a warrior ,with I have no idea what, on a leash!!

maybe evidence that some sort of beast was once domesticated for terror purposes ? some think that the beast was a real beast that was trained to kill? the creature depicted in the figurine cretainly somewhat resembles the prehistoric animal in the OP!

figurine is from Romania

Is that an authentic statuette from a museum there ? Or just something contemporary from the 20th century?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
None of this is so strange

It is simply natural selection, only several types of creatures will survive humanity

1: Parasites that dwell within us in one way or another

2: Scavengers that feed off our left overs and thrive among us

3: Creatures we keep as pets and live stock

4: Creatures that have skills or abilities to hide from us

5: Creatures that secretly prey on us

One day it will be, US, Parasitic worms, Rats and Crows and Seagulls, Cows, Pigs, Horses, Dogs and Cats, Sasquatch, Nessie, and Chupacabras, Mothmen, and whatever the heck this thing is and not much else.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

Concerning this 8,000 year old figurine,i would think that the person,perhaps a warrior? is just walking with a leashed "stylized version" of a wild animal that was captured in africa,or india,or wherever and then trained...

But it also could be some kind of reptilian alien standing with a creature that it brought to earth from their home planet...

edit on 19-2-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   

It was a Lion/Hyena not a Wolf. I think they made a movie about it.
Nice Andrewsuchus in the first picture

edit on 2/12/2013 by NZkraw because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Ha! that does sound like Andrewsarchus, or Ammit? What was a 35 million year old Entelodont doing running around France, I wonder. It seems it just can't except extinction.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
We'll be discussing this thread on ATS Live tonight - more info here

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com... sounds kinda like the black dog i saw. i made a thread about it.

Shapeshifting alien that likes to abduct babies.
edit on 16-2-2013 by CrypticSouthpaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
We'll be discussing this thread on ATS Live tonight - more info here

Thanks Neformore. I think I missed the show, but hopefully there will be a recording of it somewhere here on ATS huh?

Thanks again.

Jimbo999

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join