It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If there was a place to go, would you go?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Imagine a place like the Amish, but then without religion but liberty and freedom.
You join, build your own place with materials available, and you start to provide for the good of the community.

Out of the rat race.

Aside from all the issues due to potential crime and other issues that I do not foresee, would you go there?

What would your skill set be? What would your reason to go be? Would you bring your family?
Would you be dedicated to the group or just your situation?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I'm currently working on getting out of the rat race. I may loose access to my mistress (the net) but I think ill be happy when I do get the land paid off and the house built and am self sufficient.

To answer your question, I don't think so. I'd feel obligated, and darn it some days I just want to sit back and not do anything.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
For me it would depend on who ended up being there. There are those people (like some on ATS) who would sit there and argue about what liberty and freedom really are etc, and beg for some type of system that would allow them to do nothing while everyone else does all the work blah blah. Some people just can't stop arguing/complaining or contain themselves from acting like complete idiots. Even in small groups people can be totally intolerable. So my answer is, I would gauge who was there and make my decision accordingly.
edit on 19-1-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by calnorak

Which is possible. But certain responsibilities would exist e.g. planting crops I think. But I'm pretty sure people would help you out if you don't feel like it.

I think I wouldn't want to lose electricity because of how it can increase life quality. I don't mean televisions and computers but lights and heaters, water boilers etc. What is your thought on this?

I also wouldn't want to lose technologies such as plastics. It's very handy to collect a tremendous amount of water in large water containers.
edit on 19/1/12 by novuslibertas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I understand you this would also for me be the biggest thing to think about. Could you describe a person that you would want to work with? E.g. traits and skills and way of thinking?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by novuslibertas

I would want to work with people who would be willing to suck up the situation, do their part and work for the common goal of survival. Complainers, whiners and those who would act as tho the community owed them something are out. Snobs with "hot air machines" are in that category. (see video)

edit on 19-1-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Thanks. I also think being able to suck up a situation is a great trait.

I'm very interested in what people's thoughts are on this topic. Especially survivalist's, bushcrafter's, preppers' thoughts.

I like the vid btw! haha
edit on 19/1/12 by novuslibertas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by novuslibertas
Imagine a place like the Amish, but then without religion but liberty and freedom.
You join, build your own place with materials available, and you start to provide for the good of the community.

Out of the rat race.

Aside from all the issues due to potential crime and other issues that I do not foresee, would you go there?

What would your skill set be? What would your reason to go be? Would you bring your family?
Would you be dedicated to the group or just your situation?

I've been playing with a commune idea for awhile now, still working on it. So yes I'm game,

Skills include, cook, gardening, computer repair, my reason, to life like it's supposed to be lived, Just me and my wife. And lastly yes

Oh I so wish a place could exist again

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I didn't say id give up electricity. Ive been looking into bio diesel and other things.

We have a 20x20 foot "garden" where we grow veggies and a fruit tree (I know that a new one would take years to bear fruit though).

If you recycle the grease from fast food joints, you get 2 things if done correctly. Bio-diesel and glycerol (or glycerin, I'm going from memory) which can be used to make soaps so 2 birds, 1 stone with that. (diesel generators provide electricity) push comes to shove i can make earth batteries for some low watt leds.

The only real problem I will have to deal with is chocolate, I know I am addicted to it.

We have several chickens atm and they are pretty efficient composter's and can eat nearly any type of food. We will be getting other animals as well.

This isn't something I just dreamed (? not sure this is correct) up, the wife is in full throttle and we are both working on getting there. We started the garden to get an idea of how we were going to support ourselves.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Wow, that brings me back
Man I love most of his movies

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I'm already planning for doing such a thing, though not as much a community as like stated in the original post, not quite the Amish. Though I feel a backup is always good so a good starting plan and a lump sum of money incase it all goes wrong is needed. Which will probably take a couple of years more to finish the planning and ideas etc. By which time the money should be fine.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
As a few other members have stated their plans on doing this, I will throw my voice in with them.

I have just purchased 250 Acres in Rural Australia and plan on building a community complex for my immediate family.

There was an article published on Earthbag Building Blog about what I plan to do.

Since this project will be starting in the next couple months, I will also be updating my own personal site (located in my sig) on how we do things.

At one point I opened my plans to anyone in Australia who had similar feelings and ambitions.
Not surprisingly, I received a not so warm welcome.
I harbour no ill will against these people as they clearly had no desire to accomplish what I did.

That being said, it should be a fun ride and no doubt I will be learning A LOT!

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Yes. In a heartbeat. If such a place existed, I would drop everything and be on my way in less than an hour. Matter of fact, I could stand Amish culture for the most part. It's the clothing and the facial hair thing that I don't care for too much.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Sure I'd love to complete my plans and totally get off the grid .. but not with the Amish or Mormons or any other religious type. Pretty well the only thing that has my name on it is my truck, the insurance on it and taxes. If I had a choice, as to the way i would live (close to nature), it would be as the North American Indian had before they were virtually wiped off the face of their lands.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   

you start to provide for the good of the community.

Q1 - who decides what i should do "for the good of the community " and how much i should " produce" ?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Well, I suppose everybody would agree with being able to sustain ourselves. Contribute to being able to sustain ourselves in some way; even if it is materialistically really small or zero. There are many ways how you can contribute to a community. I just wouldn't like to see my neighbor sitting on his backside all day eating my crops when he doesn't add any value.

In my honest and very personal opinion I would only like to add people to the group if they have the same mindset unless they have some other unforeseen reason I currently can't and don't think of.

There are so many aspects. I would just want the community to function properly. A person disrupting this process wouldn't be needed. A person stimulating this process is however very welcomed.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Qilady

The Amish was just a rough example of how stubborn and isolated they decided to be. How to give a middle finger to the system and live a life they control.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

Hey I really like your site. Thank you for your contribution by sharing knowledge with us.

I just think you haven't found the right strangers. Interesting times are coming and people just have to face the reality that our current way of living isn't sustainable. I expect self sustaining and governing communities to sprout out of the ground like mushrooms the coming decades, even if it is illegal according to the system.

I'm reading through your site currently. I enjoy the idea of being self sustainable yet losing little comfort.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Still have to pay taxes or the government will come and murder you.

Even the Amish pay taxes.

Get past that hurdle and I'll move there this afternoon.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I don't know about American taxes. What kind of taxes could that be? Property taxes?

In the Netherlands agricultural property is subsidized.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join