It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOPA Author Lamar Smith (R-TX) Breaks Copyright Law on His Own Website

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Texas Congressman Lamar Smith is clearly a man of principle. He authored the Stop Online Piracy Act because he believes that copyright violators must be punished, whether they're individual citizens or websites that have copyrighted content or link to such content.

As dozens of other congressmen have revoked their support of SOPA in response to the mass protests against the bill, Smith has held steady. In his view, every website containing copyright infringement must be shut down as quickly as possible.

Up until very recently, this is how texansforlamarsmith.com, Smith's campaign website, looked:

" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

This is the background image on that page:

" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

Vice journalist Jamie Taete traced that image to photographer DJ Schulte. Taete asked Schulte if he had given Smith permission to use the image, and Schulte responded that he had never done so.

Apparently the SOPA author is not a man of principle after all. According to SOPA, legal action must be taken against its own author.

"I do not see anywhere on the screen capture that you have provided that the image was attributed to the source (me)," DJ Schulte said. "So my conclusion would be that Lamar Smith's organization did improperly use my image. So according to the SOPA bill, should it pass, maybe I could petition the court to take action against www.texansforlamarsmith.com."

Congressman Smith is a hypocrite who is championing SOPA because he is bought out by the corporate interests that would benefit from the bill, not because he is against copyright violation.

That is the sad state of politics today. Smith's own violation is the latest example of how the insane broadness of SOPA's provisions would immediately end Internet freedom.

If only we could immediately end the constant shame Smith and his fellow Texas Republicans bring upon our state.

www.burntorangereport.com...

It is rather hypocritical that the author of the SOPA legislation himself has violated copyright law. If this legislation were to pass I think a 5 year prison stint (warranted in the SOPA legislation) would serve him well. Of course it is never the powerfull, corrupt and rotten that face the law, but only we the people.
edit on 19-1-2012 by SpeachM1litant because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-1-2012 by SpeachM1litant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
But the sad truth about it is that it's perfectly okay for him to do this because he is a politician, and they are simply above the law.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
A hypocritical politician? NO WAY?

Hopefully he's not re-elected, tired of these hypocrites trying to control our lives

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
You've violated the copyright of MzMorbid in this thread from several days ago....

The Author of SOPA is a copyright violator.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This website must now be shut down, and you have to go to jail.

also...
and

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

You've violated the copyright of MzMorbid in this thread from several days ago....

The Author of SOPA is a copyright violator.

This website must now be shut down, and you have to go to jail.

also...
and

LOL
at least you were "original" this time
however you are guilty of usurping the Authority of The Moderators
so expect a visit from the Men [and Ladies] in Black of ATS

top topics

join