It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about Simulated Reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Could someone in a simulated reality "hack" the simulation?

I ask this because if we find the answer to be yes then we may be able to finally prove or disprove the theory that we are in a simulated reality.

A couple ways to look at this:
Recently, a player in Minecraft created a real working CPU in the game. He plans to build an entire computer within it. Would it be possible to use that virtual computer within the game of Minecraft to hack into any real world computer?

or..

If You were running a virtual OS, let's say Windows 98 within Windows XP, and you were disconnected from any outside connection, could you hack your way into XP from 98?

I have asked some programmers this question and all have said they do not know so I am hoping someone can shed some light on this.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowOblivionX

I am going to refer a friend of mine for this question. It is very tricky and has many possibilities as realistic.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowOblivionX

I've said it before and i'll say it again. Our reality is essentially identical the workings of a generated computer word, but from an organic, universal perspective(as we would see it). There are countless parallels to a video game world.

We are merely low level mods in the game of life. It's all about knowledge. If, in the game, the player had knowledge of the potential scripts that could allow him or her to fly, they would have the ability to fly. If we had some sort of conscious knowledge on how to fly or teleport, we would be able to. We are gods without the knowledge of gods.

Also checkout the Source field investigations. Putting it simply, it's like the internet for all things contained in our reality, without it, we would not be able to communicate with anything or anyone. It makes a lot of sense, and answers a lot of questions.
edit on 18-1-2012 by BeforeTheHangmansNoose because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BeforeTheHangmansNoose

I will have to look into that. From what I've read on Simulated Realities, there is no directly observable experiment that can be done to test if what we are in is simulated or not. I believe that my OP could potentially be a good test and so I am hoping we can find some answers.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
so when we die, we're thrown into the recycle bin.

star trek dealt with this issue many times, when they would put less advanced, i.e., idiots, into a holodeck programmed with a recreation of their exact village or planet.

they would never know, until the usual malfunction, breaks the illusion.

all i know is when i burn myself, it isn't simulated.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
so when we die, we're thrown into the recycle bin.

star trek dealt with this issue many times, when they would put less advanced, i.e., idiots, into a holodeck programmed with a recreation of their exact village or planet.

they would never know, until the usual malfunction, breaks the illusion.

all i know is when i burn myself, it isn't simulated.

Pain is the curse of consciousness.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

I don't want to argue on if we are actually in one or not, for the whole point of my post is to see if we could actually test it, but the point of a simulated reality is entire simulation of the real world, including pain. What else is pain than electrical signals interpreted by the brain?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowOblivionX

Yes, but only if there is a gateway. If the creator did not create a way to 'hack' the simulation, then it would not be possible. A program cannot interact with anything outside of its environment unless there is a gateway for the program to interface with. For example, you can't connect to my computer and take my files, UNLESS i set up a program to accept your connection and provide access to my files.

So using the minecraft analogy, lets say you want to build a computer in minecraft that will allow you to save a text file to your computer. This computer you build within the game would NOT be able to save a text file to your computer UNLESS the game itself had a built-in function that allowed its creations to save text files. Since the simulated computer is a manifestation of the game, it can only act within the boundaries set by the game.

Now... OUR universe is a lot more complex than a computer system. Its creator has provided several entheological gateways to interface with a higher reality. I can't discuss the details because this is one of the best kept secrets of the "administration".

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

If You were running a virtual OS, let's say Windows 98 within Windows XP, and you were disconnected from any outside connection, could you hack your way into XP from 98?

Yeppers.

As to hacking from inside a VR with only what is available inside that VR.....I would think that it is only possible if the initial programmer left a gateway to allow it.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by avatar01

Yes, but only if there is a gateway. If the creator did not create a way to 'hack' the simulation, then it would not be possible. A program cannot interact with anything outside of its environment unless there is a gateway for the program to interface with. For example, you can't connect to my computer and take my files, UNLESS i set up a program to accept your connection and provide access to my files.

So using the minecraft analogy, lets say you want to build a computer in minecraft that will allow you to save a text file to your computer. This computer you build within the game would NOT be able to save a text file to your computer UNLESS the game itself had a built-in function that allowed its creations to save text files. Since the simulated computer is a manifestation of the game, it can only act within the boundaries set by the game.

Now... OUR universe is a lot more complex than a computer system. Its creator has provided several entheological gateways to interface with a higher reality. I can't discuss the details because this is one of the best kept secrets of the "administration".

Thank you very much for you input. My question to you now is: Say a gateway was setup by the programmer of the Simulation, would there be a way to find it without knowing if it was there to begin with? Like a ping or something similar?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

reply to post by BeforeTheHangmansNoose

I will have to look into that. From what I've read on Simulated Realities, there is no directly observable experiment that can be done to test if what we are in is simulated or not. I believe that my OP could potentially be a good test and so I am hoping we can find some answers.

In a video game, the character you control has no idea that, we the player, are here controlling it through this technology we created. The same could be applied to real life, and what people call "the higher self", ie our consciousness comes from somewhere.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
no problem. Yes there is a way to ping but you have to find complete stillness of the mind. The administration makes this difficult by burying you with garbage. Junk data. I recommend you research 'pharmacratic inquisition' original version.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by avatar01

I see what you are saying but i was actually asking if there is a way to ping an actual gateway from your computer to see evidence that there is actually one there. If so, then it may be possible to ping a gateway if one is in a simulated reality. Remember, my point here is to try to develop a serious way to test the simulated reality hypothesis.

If this is possible, could you explain how it is done?

new topics

top topics

join