It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Warns That Western Support for Arab Revolts Could Cause a 'Big War'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Russian Warns That Western Support for Arab Revolts Could Cause a 'Big War'

www.nytimes.com

Russia’s foreign minister, Sergey V. Lavrov, warned Wednesday that outside encouragement of antigovernment uprisings in the Middle East and North Africa could lead to “a very big war that will cause suffering not only to countries in the region, but also to states far beyond its boundaries.”

Mr. Lavrov said Russia would use its position on the United Nations Security Council to veto any United Nations authorization of military strikes against Syria
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
It appears to me that Russia is trying hard to not allow the world to descend into utter chaos and war. They claim that they will veto any UN authorisation to attack Syria. Furthermore, the warnings that these little uprisings could turn into a big war also sounds like a possibility. Sometimes i wonder what ever happened to the USA, the protector of nations

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 18-1-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

I was just looking at the Map of the region today after reading somewhere that Qatar is supplying troops and arms to Syrian rebels. And found that Quatar, Kuwait and UAE are very near to Iran. If any mess gets loose then Iran can attack these nations and their oil hubs with ease, using missiles, special forces, insurgents and even have a land invasion on Kuwait via Iraq. Syria will get involved by attacking Israel and Turkey and Iraq being a Shia nation might even join in. Given the Israel factor, this can turn into a major regional war and outside parties like Greece, Egypt are not yet counted in.
edit on 18-1-2012 by victor7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Well if you know how to read political speal you can see Russia will do nothing if people act in Syria but, they will not allow it under the UN umbrella. Lavrov said "If some intend to use force at all cost we can hardly prevent that from happening, but let them do it at their own initiative, on their own conscience; they won't get any authorisation from the UN Security Council." Thats called Russia washing its hands of doing anything beyond a UN veto about Syria and green light for the Arabs, EU, NATO, US to act if they so wish.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
the russians are master chess players. so are the iranians. and the chinese are master tacticians with little or no fear of death.

it's strange that they'll bat for one ally, syria, while steering the west to attack iran, by allowing western resolutions.

it makes me think iran is more heavily armed than led to believe. forget s-300 missile defence systems the west is afraid of.

they might have the more deadly and effective s-400 stored away for when shtf.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

It seems to me that China and Russia have gone on record that

if Iran is attacked . . . they will treat it as an attack on their own homelands.

Now this . . .

Do we need a clearer warning?

The PTB are setting the pins up and will evidently soonish begin to knock them down.

. . . laughing demonically at all the blood flow they caused . . .

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

Russia is not in position to get involved in military sense. They can always provide sophisticated weapons to Syrians and Iranians and make it 'extremely' costly for the attacking countries. Iran can attack UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Saudi oil fields with via Russian intelligence support. Next thing we know is oil is sitting at $250/barrel. Next thing we also notice is Russians have gotten drunk in celebration over the windfall.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by victor7
reply to post by MrSpad

Russia is not in position to get involved in military sense. They can always provide sophisticated weapons to Syrians and Iranians and make it 'extremely' costly for the attacking countries. Iran can attack UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Saudi oil fields with via Russian intelligence support. Next thing we know is oil is sitting at $250/barrel. Next thing we also notice is Russians have gotten drunk in celebration over the windfall.

Russia will not support Syria or Iran so long as the West assures them of continued prefred trade with whomever takes over. This is all Russia and China care about. Iran tried in the past to hit Kuwaits oil fields and failed and has been threatining to invade the entire region since the 80s. You can bet the entire GCC is more than ready for that not to mention US/UK and French forces in the region. Iran has no military options.

So why you ask is Iran provoking the West at every turn? Iran has internal problems. Big problems. The last time it was this bad Iraq invaded Iran with a single division thinking that would be enough to cause a complete collapse. The opposite occured and Iran unified and long war nobody was ready to fight was started. Iran wants an attack. They just do not want an invasion. A limited attack om Iran would, they hope, unify the peope at least for awhile. They do not think the US has the stomach for an invasion and occupation so they think that as long as they do not go to far they can provoke a limited attack. Iraq used to use a similar tactic but they did not count on Bush cashing in on 911 and going all in. Iran thinks they have a better handle on things. Only time will tell I suppose.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I think he wanted to say US is actually behind the destabilization of Syria, but he did not want to be provocative so instead he said US is encouraging the uprising. It is obvious what his intended words were at least in my opinion.

US is no doubt playing a game in the area, trying to destabilize its opponent Arab states (even directly going to war (in Libyan case), and at the same time trying to boost support for what some regard as "puppet Arab state". For example US recently "I think" finalized a 60 billion USD weapons deal with Saudi Arabia, a country which is facing its own protests, and some protesters have already been killed.

The media is dead silent about Saudi Arabian protests, and is not working to demonize Saudi King, or the Bahraini King, or the Yemeni who recently announced that he will be leaving Yemen and will go to US to live there until things cool down.

US foreign policy isn't that complicated if, only if you know at least the basic variables, for example which nation safe guards US interests (puppets) and which nations safeguard their own interests before US interests.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I just ate a bunch of Taco Bell tacos and there's about to be a "Big War" on the home-front of my toilet.

And that's also how I feel about these pointless political BS battles and that these small numbered politicians dictate whether or not a creature needs to die on this planet. Why can't we all just band together and explore the stars, since that is our existence? All these galaxies, nebulae, stars and planets waiting to be explored. Discovering whether or not extra dimensions exist, wormholes, and other life.

Humans are so damn inward and retarded. If I was president, I'd start a massive space advancement program. Where people who are interested get free college education that would major in physics, astronomy, optics, exobiology, computer science/engineering, chemistry, and anything else that would benefit the space program. I would reach out to the private sector and jump start advanced engineering industries in order to research and develop new engine technologies and sciences. You get the picture...

Maybe my mind is perverted by all the sci-fi I read, but it sure does sound awesome than to live on this cancer ridden planet. I wish I lived in the EVE Online universe - even though there's countless fighting, at least you have the opportunity to live a relatively peaceful life on whatever planet you wanted.

This video is the future of the U.S. vs Russia, EVE online style - sad but pretty much true.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
France got $35B of contracts in Libya. How much did Russia get? They are not even able to hold on to contracts that Gaddahfi gave them. So if Russians prostitute their long run interests atleast with Syria then they are in for attack themselves down the road.

Iran is not asking for attack on itself. It is trying to show the bigger dog that it also has some bite. Iran is using selective diplomatic aggression as a tool for defense.

Iran attack on gulf states........you are talking about 80s. Now Iran has long range missiles and other advanced weapons.

Assymetric hurt is what Iran can inflict much more easily than get into a direct war scenario vrs US. This is what they are planning. Iran is not oil drunk Arab country like Iraq or Libya. Shia culture is very stoic and since 1980s Iran has been living pretty much on its own, in hardship and self reliance, with only light friends around to buy their oil.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
████ ██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love █████ ██████ your Federal Government.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
the russians are master chess players. so are the iranians. and the chinese are master tacticians with little or no fear of death.

it's strange that they'll bat for one ally, syria, while steering the west to attack iran, by allowing western resolutions.

it makes me think iran is more heavily armed than led to believe. forget s-300 missile defence systems the west is afraid of.

they might have the more deadly and effective s-400 stored away for when shtf.

Russians are master chess players only in the game of chess, not in international diplomacy. Chinese are too selfish minded 'still commies', they will not fight for anyone else except China. Also, Chinese armed forces have no power in the punch vrs US or Europe.

Iran does not even have S300, so forget about S400.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Yeah, but we large industrial powers can make big, big bucks selling weapons to those carzies. Just think of the profits!!!!

Everytime there is a skirmish or uprising in the streets somebody is shipping a boat or C-130 load of equipment and arms to one side or the other.

All of that stuff costs money. Sure, the US government, for example, can send a load of ammo to some outfit, and sure it was the government's ammo to give away to the "right" cause if it choses, but the government brought that ammo with taxpaper's money and the ammo manufacturer makes a bundle (at our literal expense).

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Russia condems the violence in Syria, talks cheap..Why dont they move in and do a bit of the heavy work to keep it from escalating.When you have a failed state you have a real problem. It's their nightmare as well.In the UN. statement they are saying in fact is let the violence continue, in Syria and let Iran have Nukes...if the West backs off because of their stated position..then the consequences are Russias problem.Or more likely Putins problem as the Russian people know the score as far as their present leadership is concerned,and have proved in the past that they can change things.

new topics

top topics

join