It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study proves 95% of people really are sheeple

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Study proves 95% of people really are sheeple

www.naturalnews.com

Scientists at the University of Leeds have conducted research that proves the tendency many have to act like sheep, unwittingly following crowd as if they didn't possess a reasoning mind. While this tendency may have its uses in some situations, such as planning pedestrian flow in busy areas, it doesn't inspire a ton of hope for humankind.

The study showed that it takes a minority of just five percent to influence a crowd's direction - and that the other 95 percent follow without even knowing
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
this is great haha its from naturalnews.com
i've never been a fan of studies because they are a bunch of nonsense anyways ,but this one just made me laugh
"95 % of people are sheeple "hilarious but possibly frighteningly true, there are so many followers out there today
so what are you?
a sheep or a herder ?

www.naturalnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Reminded me of this analogy:

edit on 18-1-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Now watch the scientific community follow, en masse, this study and follow up with more studies about following, and then students of science will be taught to follow these studies about following so that they can graduate and do more research and write more studies on how easy it is to follow the crowd. Oh sure, some students will challenge this scientific paradigm, but the scientific community will label them "sheeple denialists" and shout them down, maybe even expel them for refusing to follow.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by kolder

Of course this is true, this is why they only needed 5% of the american people to back the OS of 9/11 to get everyone else to go along...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
you know they say there's only one way to protect the sheep....by killing the wolves.

(p.s. I'm a herder, as are many ATSers)

-not that I'm advocating violence, just stating facts on how to protect sheep

edit on 18-1-2012 by Lapislazuli because: to add

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
studies show that people who believe studies without seeing clear results or publications are also sheeple

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

greatest reply ever!

Anyway, doesn't surprise me in the slightest, people rarely care about what is right or wrong only what is done and what isn't.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I just realized that I hate "studies"..... This is stupid... Although I don't believe most of what I hear, this being a "study" and a "conclusion of 95%" is just stupid...

My 2 cents

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Something to take note of:

Black Sheep are still sheep.

That's all.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kolder

Excellent article and conclusions!

another excerpt from the article:

Scary. Are we such sheeple that we allow a few "informed" people to lead us around without even knowing what's happening? Sadly, it makes sense. How many fall for scams of all kinds because of friends or "informed" sources, from pyramid schemes to religious hoaxes and political coverups. We seem to believe just about anything, or blindly tolerate it as long as the message is delivered with enough social credibility.

s&f
edit on 18-1-2012 by Rafe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I always knew why I didnt want to be a part of the 95 percent.

People are dumb.

.....im a lion... not a sheeple.

I am gunna go pee in a bush.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I don't know I see it in everyday life. I tend to agree with this study. Hate to say I do, but the information made available to us is amazingly low. If we had every bit of scientific data presented to us in various fields, there is no telling what humanity could do with it.

Pity a few have this information and believe we cannot know as that will undo the hold they have on humanity.

Like the Vatican. Holding TONS of history we as a people cannot have access too? Something is very wrong with that picture. When we cannot look at our own history, how will we ever build a better brighter future? The whole secret archives thing really ticks me off I cannot have knowledge because someone says I can't. Who gives them the right? When a certain religion holds something back from the masses it should make people think "WHY?" not be complacent and accept it. Time we take back what is rightfully ours.

Pity that we cannot go against the grain or we will be labeled "terrorists". True terrorism is keeping knowledge from the public.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux
Now watch the scientific community follow, en masse, this study and follow up with more studies about following, and then students of science will be taught to follow these studies about following so that they can graduate and do more research and write more studies on how easy it is to follow the crowd. Oh sure, some students will challenge this scientific paradigm, but the scientific community will label them "sheeple denialists" and shout them down, maybe even expel them for refusing to follow.

The scientific community, of which I am a member, is one of the greatest examples of sheeple. Those of us within the community who do not follow its tenets blindly are chastised and ridiculed. People today regard "scientists" much as those hundreds of years ago regarded priests.

One of my classes required for graduation required that we review primary literature to look for errors/omissions/outright falsehoods. It didn't take long for us to realize that many of the "peer reviewed" studies were complete and utter garbage.

The scientific community is a good 'ol boys club just like any other community these days. The saying "don't believe everything you hear" applies as much to supposed scientific studies as it does to anything else.

I don't think it takes a study to conclude that 95% of the populace are sheeple. One can read the comments posted on MSM articles and quickly realize that 95% is a conservative figure.
edit on 18-1-2012 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
So they had to do a study to confirm what was already in plain view.
Children mostly tend to believe anything they are told - I guess they are just gullible little monkeys
In the natural world there are group or pack leaders but they do not purposefully mislead their kind or carry out pyscological experiments on one another -
So what does that tell you about human animals.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Love the monkey analogy haha

remember OWS? what a joke that was.. thousands showed up not knowing what they were there for and for what?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
This shouldn't come as much of a surprise. Humans have survived as long as we have because of our social tendencies.

In the case of confusion, indifference, or ignorance - it is more likely we will survive if we follow someone-anyone, than to remain stagnant and confused... or to bolt in a million different directions and simply end up fighting our own efforts.

In other cases - it only takes a few people fighting over a resource to give everyone the perception it is a rare or limited thing, and that if they don't fight - they won't get any.

Humans are largely self-ignorant creatures. This is the crux of many of our social problems.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
My modest study is that most people are hypocrites.(myself included)
Its not what you know...its what you learn after you figured out and realized you were wrong and knew nothing compared to how much you think you know now which you are still unsure of.

That word sheeple is just another label people use so they can think they are smarter then someone else.
aka you think differently from me so therefore you must be dumb and a sheep.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
5% isn't that low of a number compared to the amount of people there are. its around 6 million americans and much more worldwide. So if every percentage country gathers and started acting in unison with a similar direction, not necessarily one leading the other, but everyone leading themselves, things could change.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join