It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War Looming With Argentina??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Again the trouble brewing over the Falklands raises It's . once again.

During prime minister's questions on Wednesday, Conservative MP Andrew Rosindell branded Argentina's actions "wholly deplorable" and urged Mr Cameron to "remind Argentina they lost the Falklands War".

In reply, the prime minister said the "absolutely vital point" was that "the future of the Falkland Islands is a matter for the people themselves".

"As long as they want to remain part of the United Kingdom and be British, they should be able to do so," he said.

And he added: "What the Argentinians have been saying recently, I would argue, is actually far more like colonialism because these people want to remain British and the Argentinians want them to do something else."

I totally believe that Argentina is in the wrong. It seems they want another war.

They don't even have a claim to the islands. And the the islanders themselves want nothing to do with Argentina.

How far are they going to take this?

Read full article here. www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The Argentines might insist that they do have a claim, but their views do not seem to make it to news outlets outside of Argentina.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
This is all about oil. There is potentially billions of barrels of oil in the falklands sea!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11I11
This is all about oil. There is potentially billions of barrels of oil in the falklands sea!

No, it is not about oil. A rudimentary knowledge of the history of the British involvement in the Falklands would demonstrate that to be the case. Oil is only a very recent possibility.

It was about seals at one point.

Regards

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 11I11

So basically the US would be fools to not help us out..
South America would be easy pickings for them.

Not that I'm saying I want war. But the US owes us some back up.

And as the above post states. We were there long before oil was known about. But now we know It's there Argentina want it.
edit on 18-1-2012 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Britain is in serious debt:

Britain in Debt, Daily Mail

I suppose they need a war to make some money...Hmmm
edit on 18-1-2012 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
It was about seals at one point.

Mmmmm, seals... Great on toast..

Anyhoo, in answer to the OP's question, no. War is not looming because Argentina knows they are seriously out of their league militarily. They are in a worse state now than 1982 and we are far stronger than 1982.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I will dust off my uniform and come out of military retirement to keep those Islands. Its not about Britain its about allowing those people to decide their own fate. I would lay down my life in a heartbeat if it meant a better life for those I defend.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Much less debt than most developed nations, but we know what agenda you like to push, don't we?

As a % of GDP, it is just over 70%. Germany, Japan and the US are higher...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Britain is in less debt that most of the EU and America. Stop talking #e for one day please.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

War is usually a good way to lose money, rather than make it.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Certainly in the UK's case.

Prior to WW1, we're top dog. By the time WW2 had finished, the Empire was gone.

The US, however, made quite tidy sums out of both wars.... Hmmm.....

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

But if they joined forces with other south American countries, our navy would be outnumbered. And although our technology is better, we would be over run. That and It's their backyard and we are on the other side of the world.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Its got nothing to do with anything other than the historical gripe of the argentinians that its theirs. Despite the fact the Islanders are all british.

All the rhetoric lately has come from the Argentinian president.

They don't have the capability to take them anyway so its all just internal Argentinian political theatre.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

Chilie would not allow that to happen.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

No, no we wouldn't...

Have you even looked up what ships most SA countries are sailing and how many there are? C'mon man... A couple of Astutes would eat them alive and they wouldn't know what hit them.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I thought we only had one Astute so far
but even so one would tear them apart.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I know we have a good navy, and don't want to put it down. I'm sure we would do quite a lot of damage. But they could send wave after wave at us. How much ammo do we have down there?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

One that has been commissioned fully and one in sea trials.

The keel for the 3rd of the class has been laid already

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
It is just bluff and bluster by Argentine politicians who require to get the popular vote. It would take serious money, time and investment to get the Argentine forces up to standard to sustain such a conflict. The casualties that they would sustain trying to retake Mount Pleasant Airport would be substantial.

The Argentines still have no answer to Royal Navy hunter killer submarines so how can they expect support from their Navy. It would be the Belgrano situation all over again. The Argentines know this full well and their only option is bluff, bluster and meddling from politicians seeking re-election. .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join