It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mr.Harper...Get a grip

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Can't agree more. Voter apathy is what THG (The Harper Government) counted on to get into that beloved majority position. Perhaps we need to look at what's been done elsewhere to prompt participation in the democratic process.

$20 is a pittance, but I sure like the idea. Go Australia

Voting at federal elections has been compulsory since 1924 for all citizens on the Commonwealth electoral roll. Anyone who is unable to provide a valid and sufficient reason to the Divisional Returning Officer for failure to vote at a federal election and who does not wish to have the matter dealt with by a Magistrates Court may pay a penalty of $20 (section 245).

www.aec.gov.au...

On current policies, what I can't understand is the refusal to build a refinery in Alberta to process the Tar Sands bitumen. Yes, they can cost upwards to $10B, but wouldn't it be a wonderful thing if Canadians cound benefit (lower gas prices) from our resources rather than exporting the raw product to China or the US through new pipelines that threaten aquifers (etc.)? Let's stem Canadian dependancy on foreign oil products first.

We're willing to spend much more than $10B on F-35's and almost 3 times as much on new ships, but not on an oil refinery? What's up with that?

edit on 19/1/12 by masqua because: grammar

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
We're willing to spend much more than $10B on F-35's and almost 3 times as much on new ships, but not on a an oil refinery? What's up with that?

Harper is a tool.

He wants so bad to sit at the grownup table of the World Political Stage, that he is making decisions that please the other kids.
I so respected Chretcien for telling the Yanks to stuff it over Iraq2

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

It was Ontario that put Harper in, especially Toronto,IMO, we only had a 38% turnout which tells me that most Canadians are fed up with the same old same old. People have given up on voting because they fell like I that most politicians are corrupt, hence no change. Just look at the pensions now that they are voting in for themselves, and who is paying for that? Yes you guessed it. Look at McKay and all his travel expenses...again on our dollar,he leaves important papers at an ex-girlfriend with ties to the, supposed, underworld, now he married an Iranian lady, don't get me wrong I think there are a lot of great Iranians, but this guy McKay is looking to step in after Harper, in my opinion, we have to be the ones to make the change and take back our country. Thank you for your input.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaarkSyde2012
Look at McKay and all his travel expenses...again on our dollar,he leaves important papers at an ex-girlfriend with ties to the, supposed, underworld,

No... that was Maxime Bernier... the wonderful MP who would like to drive a stake thru the heart of Canada's Health Care system.

Doncha just love him?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I stand corrected, thank you, like I have mentioned before, I am not into politics, but feel I have to at least get a message out to help wake people up a bit. Thank you for your input. Bernier is just another politician in my books, same old same old corrupt %#@#^**(. IMO.

edit on 19-1-2012 by DaarkSyde2012 because: answer question

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DaarkSyde2012

Ontario? I always thought it was Ignatieff that gave Harper a majority.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by QuadroClip

I know, I am from Ontario myself. Iggy wasn't much of a choice either but then again who is? Thank you for your input.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by QuadroClip

The exact moment Iggy lost his mojo was the on that day he waved his arms in the air and wailed into the cameras;

Rise up. Rise up. Rise up.

I still think voter apathy played the biggest role in the last few elections. The Social Conservative Faithful came out in droves while the rest of Canada facepalmed their disgust with the system and stayed home to watch Bugs Bunny cartoons on the Comedy Channel.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
I still think voter apathy played the biggest role in the last few elections.

Yup and I'm guilty. This was the first election since I was 18 that I didn't vote. That's over 30 years. I just couldn't. The only candidate in my riding worth voting for was the incumbent Conservative. And I just couldn't put a vote in Harper's favor.

The Social Conservative Faithful came out in droves while the rest of Canada facepalmed their disgust with the system and stayed home to watch Bugs Bunny cartoons on the Comedy Channel.

Not me. I was on ATS.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

It is not looking much better for the Liberals yet either. Bob Rae? I hope people don't forget their past, remember Rae Days?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaarkSyde2012
reply to post by masqua

It is not looking much better for the Liberals yet either. Bob Rae? I hope people don't forget their past, remember Rae Days?

Bob Rae walked into a full-blown recession, and what he did was try to spend his way out of it...just as the US did in the depression. That experiment was never resolved because WW2 changed the game....but I digress.

Of course, nowadays, they call it "Stimulus Spending" and Tories vote for it. I also was part of Rae days, and it was told to me that if I could take a bit of a hit, the guy beside me would keep his job. And I'd do it again. The institution I worked for shuffled things around so I honestly didn't even feel it. I'm not going to derail this thread with a discussion of Rae, so if you want to comment further, U2U me please.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Thanks, I will try and send you a U2U message in the morning.I am at work right now so don't have much time. Thank you for the courtesy.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Well I guess my attempt at getting this out is falling on deaf ears. I sent a copy to my local radio host today, we shall see if that does anything. Keep up the fight people!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join