It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Plane never Made.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mxboy15u
All nice airplanes, but especially with the cold war aircraft, they have never DONE anything. My votes are for the 3 planes that changed the world.

P-51
B-17
B-24

This thread is about planes that were NEVER built, but your point gives me an idea to start a new thread, if you don't mind me pinching it

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
deleted. stupid, misread the topic

[edit on 1/9/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
does that mean plaens that were only conceptualised or those that were never inducted into the military??

If its the latter then YF-23..otherwise well im not too fond of going through blueprints so i can't contribute..

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Best planes that will never be made....

S-37
MFI

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I am just resurrecting this tired old thread in order to point out that, thanks to Tony Buttler, I now know who REALLY invented the F-15/MiG 25 layout (whether either of them copied it however is something we will probably never know).

The true origin of the 'twin engines side by side in a box fuselage with a shoulder wing and twin fins' layout was the North American WS-300.

This was a fighter bomber design proposed in 1955 as a rival to the F-105 Thunderchief and also included an internal weapons bay, unlike either of the similar looking designs we were debating. This was three years before work on the MiG 25 started and THIRTEEN years earlier than the F-15 design. When you consider that its contemporaries around the world (ie still largelyon the drawing board in 1955) were the F-4 Phantom and BAC Lightning (both flown 1958) and in service fighters were the F-100, Hunter and MiG 17 then it is remarkable how futuristic this design looked. Round of applause for North American Aviation then

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Waynos, as a late response to your Hawker jumpjets you nominated WAY earlier in this thread, I´d like to present the german VJ-101 V/STOL.

The X1, equipped with six Rolls-Royce RB-145 without afterburner, made its first hover flight in April 1963. Vertical take-off and the transition to aerodynamic flight by swivelling the engine pods on the wing ends were safe and confirmed the selected VTOL-concept. In July 1964 the sound barrier fell when the aircraft reached Mach 1.08. With this flight the VJ-101 became the first VTOL-aircraft in the world to reach supersonic speed.

www.tomtom-net.de...

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Mach Buster.
Hasn't flown yet, but was built.

800mph with a prop.
That would be so cool at Reno.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
YF-23 is cool yes, but so is their pick, the YF-22 which is now the F-22 Raptor...
but the Sukhoi Su-47 Berkut is AWESOME

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Re : Stealth

The Canadian navy developed a type of radar that can track a Stealth technology fighter , something of a surprise to our American friends when they splashed the tracking of their much vaunted stealth fighter over the common navy tracking network in the late 90's while the Canadian navy & US navy were on manoevers ...

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
The North American WS-300 actually morphed into the A-5 (and RA-5) Vigilante..One fine looking bird in it's own right.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join