It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get Off My Bumper!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Why do people always have to follow so close behind my car?I sometimes
wonder if they enjoy sniffing my car's exhaust fumes.Earlier today,a woman
was driving a Honda SUV right on my bumper.I looked into my rearview mirror
and told her to back off my bumper,she didn't.
I was getting slightly annoyed and I was driving the legal speed limit.I decided
to slow down a hair and reduced my speed to 5 miles under the speed limit,no
good.I then put my foot on the gas and was driving 60 in a 45 mile zone,still no
good.I was starting to get really ticked off and avoided the impulse of slamming
on my brakes.I like my car too much to do that.
When the road finally split lanes,she zoomed right by me and I flipped her off.
I hadn't flipped anyone off in years.The more that I drive,the more that I don't like
people! I usually drive the speed limit or 5 miles over.That doesn't seem to be fast
enough for others.They seem to want you to drive interstate speeds on streets
and roads.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Haha! My husband loves to ride peoples bumpers. He also rides the white line on the right.

We have gotten several flat tires because he rides on top of where all the road junk is. He thinks because of his profession he knows how to drive, that may be true on the track, but the real road is another story. He is the butt hole everyone flips off, haha!

When I am driving he fusses because I am too slow...I always do five over the speed limit. Some people are just idiots, my husband sometimes included.

edit on 18-1-2012 by LittleVoice731 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Yea it sucks, driving is a huge responsibility, i mean think about, a car going x miles per hour has more force than an entire clip of bullets. And everyone over 16 drives one for the most part. One for all and guns for all...erm cars. Lol.

Anyway...

Yesterday i was at a red light trying to make a right turn. The guy about to cross the intersection going int he direction i was intending to go put his left turn signal on, so I thought "Oh right on, i can squeeze in as he waits to to turn because he's on an unprotected left turn" As i begin pulling into the intersection to turn, the dumby decided he didn't want to wait to make that turn because cars were going through the intersection the opposite way, so he promptly guns it forward without looking and nearly creams me.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Great rant! Here it's something Police can fine you for, bumper-sticking. Did you consider that maybe she just thought you were hot and didn't wanna lose sight of you though?
It could happen!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
MamaBeth, I hear you! That's part of the reason I sold my car and moved to a place where there's great public transportation and I don't have to drive. 5 years later, I am SO happy.

I moved from an area where there are some of the worst, most aggressive drivers on the planet. 'Have seen it all -- tailgating, backing down highway exit ramps, switching abruptly across 5 lines on a highway, you name it. My favorite was a case of two people driving a station wagon while holding a mattress on top of the car with only their hands.

A friend of mine has a alternative response to flipping the bird that really works well, but only if the driver is a man. He simply pulls up beside the other driver, smiles, and holds his thumb and forefinger in a "little bitty tiny" gesture. It has dramatic impact!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleVoice731
Haha! My husband loves to ride peoples bumpers. He also rides the white line on the right.

We have gotten several flat tires because he rides on top of where all the road junk is. He thinks because of his profession he knows how to drive, that may be true on the track, but the real road is another story. He is the butt hole everyone flips off, haha!

When I am driving he fusses because I am too slow...I always do five over the speed limit. Some people are just idiots, my husband sometimes included.

edit on 18-1-2012 by LittleVoice731 because: (no reason given)

Even if you're a professional racer...in fact if you are one you'd think he'd understand physics. Car in front of you, plus 15 feet between your cars + 40 mph + plus person in front of you slam brakes = you're #ed.

Unless of course you're running 700 pp + coil springs, sway bars, light weight vehicle, prime weight distribution, and 14 in + Stoptech brakes or something of that sort. Even then, riding on someones bumper is retarded because unlike racing where everyone is for the most part trying to move forward as fast as possible, driving on regular roads means the person in front of you could be trying to move forward, stay, or brake as fast as possible, randomly.

Not to be mean, and Im sure because he's a "good driver" that he'll be fine, but watch within the next week he gets into a little fender bender. That'd be too much.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

HAHA!

What were you thinking, driving your car on HER road! Didn't you know that she owns the road because she pays taxes.

I just seen too much road rage to be anything other than passive when driving, anymore.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I absolutely hate that bumper riding tendency that seems to be getting worse and worse. I was stopped at a stop light in Tampa several years ago, a LONG line of cars stopped at the light. I happened to look into my rear-view mirror and saw that the car coming behind me wasn't stopping. At all. I tried to pull into the median and got most of my car there before I got hit. The worst part was, I was then hit again by the same car when the car following HIM hit him, causing him to hit me again. I was told that I saved my own life by paying attention and pulling into the median. The idiot who hit me had his infant child in his back seat, in a carseat yeah, but who doesn't drive more carefully when their child is in the car?

In the town I live in now, not only do they ride bumpers, but if you DARE to stop completely at a stop sign, you risk being hit from behind, especially if you are making a right turn and the person behind you is as well. It is insanity and having learned to drive in New Orleans ( the New Orleans Shuffle it is called), I have never seen anything like what I see here.
edit on 18-1-2012 by Ceriddwen because: sometimes my brain doesn't work

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I noticed you said her. Woman drivers annoy me to man.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by xacto

He just drives, I am sure he doesn't know anything about the physics behind it all. I always ask him if he's trying to draft with these people he is riding. He just rides them until they move, and so on and on, down the road. He races a Monte Carlo SS, but when he is driving at home, we use the mini van. To me that is like night and day. Men... is all I can say.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Yeah I hate people who tailgate . As a truck driver I see people doing alot of stupid things and as times goes peoples driving is getting worse and worse. Also the crap people do to me when I am on my motorbike people are just oblivious as to whats going on around them . One thing I have learned over the years is people are selfish drivers . When people tailgate me in my car I will drop the tranny down to 2nd or first gear ( auto transmission ) I don't hit the brake I don't give people the luxury of seeing my brake lights come on. Once they figure out what is going on they will usually back right off .

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LonelyGuy

I am also a woman and the driver behind me was a woman.
Don't get us women started about men/women drivers

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

What I do when someone is tailgating me is to swerve suddenly for no reason a few times. This gives them the impression that I might do something crazy and unexpected at any moment. I don't swerve like I'm drunk or anything but, instead like I'm dodging the pink elephants in the road. I make it seem as if I'm driving to avoid obsticals only I can see in my demented little mind.

Most people use common sense and back off just in case I do something really crazy or slam on my brakes suddenly or jump out and attack them.

Sometimes crazy is your best defence.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleVoice731
reply to post by xacto

He just drives, I am sure he doesn't know anything about the physics behind it all. I always ask him if he's trying to draft with these people he is riding. He just rides them until they move, and so on and on, down the road. He races a Monte Carlo SS, but when he is driving at home, we use the mini van. To me that is like night and day. Men... is all I can say.

Hahahaha i hear that!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Yea people dont see people as people out on the highway. All they see is a big metal obstacle to whatever destination they are bound for. If we all had convertibles or motorbikes; would that remind them that cars contain people? Lol
edit on 18-1-2012 by Foxy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
If driving crazy doesn't work, maybe this might.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/16f7fe1aed01.gif[/atsimg]

I've also heard stories of people who put on a mask backwards and then stick their head out the window when someone is following too close behind. The driver behind you thinks you are looking at them instead of the road in front of you.

BTW: I've been rear ended twice at stop signs and red lights by idiots not paying attention behind me. I drive an old, beat up 97 Expedition. Both times, the other person totally wrecked the front end of their car and left hardly a scuff on my back bumper.

Anyone who tailgates me in that truck is just asking for it.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

hit the breaks my dear... that means a new car for you if they hit you...

A person that rear ends someone is always at fault...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

Hi Freedom. I'm a truck driver and biker too, in the UK. Ancient 850 TDM.
The one that realy pee's me off is that car thats 100 yrds ahead and is about to turn left (maybe right for you). You take no notice because he'll be long gone by the time you get where he is but then he slows to 1 mile an hour like he thinks his car will fall over if he goes any faster, now I'm on the brakes trying to stop 20 ton of dog food and my truck before it squashes him.

Tailgaters. I just keep decreasing my speed until they back off. They get the message quick enough.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Most roads have cctc, if your seen doing that you'll get booked for dangerous driving and rightly so because tailgaters often have their kids in the car and its not their fault the drivers a plonker.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I have the worst road rage. I have been known to cuss like a sailor when I am driving, at times. And people riding my ass when I am going the speed limit (or 5 over) are one of my biggest pet peeves.

I hear you. S&F

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join