It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Urban Survival...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

Thats a sad commentary on society saltdog. And I hate to burst that kids bubble but if he thinks the techniques he has learned on his Zombie games is gonna help him "procure" someone elses stuff he better get use to being disappointed and learn how to stich himself up. After hes done feeding on the old, weak and frail he's gonna have to go up against the big dogs and it ain't gonna go well for him. Sad. I just hope if he does take that route he gets plugged before he hurts an innocent. Dont like being cold like this, but if thats his attitude then so be it. If anyone gets into this situation come on up to the mountains of Virginia, as long as you mean no harm you got nothing to worry about and your welcomed.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CSBowie

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the outlook that many of them seem to have. They are into there music or a cool tattoo..and have no idea about what real life is like...due to being sheltered for most if not all of there life.
edit on 14-2-2012 by saltdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Not to be critical but in todays age 2 words that don't go well together are "urban" and "survival". The best supply you can have in an urban survival situation is a good supply of rural areas where you can get out of urban areas.

Regardless of the situation urban areas will just be plain bad at best. If we experience any disruption in our supply lines whether it be from invasion, economic collapse, civil unrest etc it will take about a week for stores to be completely out of food and supplies. Once this happens you will have to contend with the masses that were unprepared and looting, murder and pillaging will commence and regardless of the supplies you have acquired you will eventually be defenseless.

If you can make it to a rural area you will stand a much better chance of survival for yourself and your loved ones. In a rural area you will most likely have a good supply of wildlife to survive on. If you plan right you can also have plenty of fresh water and you will have a much better chance of avoiding the mass gangs of desperate looters that will be left in the urban areas. Any urban area during a time of war or collapse will be about as close to he'll on earth as you will ever want to encounter.

I recently moved from Central Florida where the county I lived in had a population of 300k+ to North Dakota which has a total state population of around 500k because I am expecting things to get pretty bad in the very near future and I did not want to be stuck in a place where I had to risk fighting amongst others to survive. Survival is hard enough sometimes without having to worry about constantly defending yourself.

Im not saying you should pack up family and move.to another state but you should definitely have a plan for yourself and family and get as far out of town as possible. Thia plan should include a predetermined rally/ reandaveuz point for everyone to meet up at.

ETA: One thing I would suggest for anyone prepping for survival would be The SAS Survival Guide. It can be bought on Amazon for about $15a and is a very comprehensive guide and learning tool. I went through SERE training and the SAS Guide is as close as I've seen to actual military publications.
edit on 14-2-2012 by Nucleardiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

Your not going to get any arguement here. The military trains Urban Survival as getting off the X and getting out of town to a safe area procuring what you need on the way. I see nothing which changes that tactic in the civilian world.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

Oh I agree, but if your on the east or west coast or gulf coast areas...where 70% of the population is..well your stuck in basic urban areas unless you get to the area your in now. I grew up a few hundred miles south of where you say you are now.
That is rural, but many people will have to go through urban areas or cities to get out of there homes, and get to a safer place. I do agree with you, but as the economy sucks, the jobs in the rural areas aren't there...so you do what you have to...to get by.
Ideally I would love to be back in that area, but it financially isn't possible YET...so I do what I have to.
Besides...my BOL might be in your neck of the woods...but unless your living there, you still need to get there and to do it safely. I figure that...if I am lucky...I could bug out right away or be there...but chances are...I wouldn't be...so I plan accordingly
Will I be in an area...that if the flag goes up...I hope to not be effected by it to much
By having what I need and being self sustaining for the most part....in an ideal situation..but thats not how life always works...lol
So I will have to take what is thrown at me, and roll with the punches.
edit on 14-2-2012 by saltdog because: spelling

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by CSBowie

I agree, but we all live where we live.
Being prepared is making you better than 90% of the others though.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

I live in a small town of about 700 people called Steele, about 40 miles east of Bismarck and absolutely love it. It was a very welcomed change from the rat race of Central Fl. I don't know what you do for work but the unemployment rate up here is about 2%. I went into commercial diving in the gulf oilfields after the navy and there are plenty of jobs in the oilfields up here although obviously Im not diving now. Hell companies are begging for workers.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

That is why planning is so important. Ive lived in Northern Va, Miami, Charlotte NC, San Diego and in all the places Ive had a bug out plan and a series of routes to get out based on available transpo including foot. As my family grew travel became an issue so I went into government contracting and set my family up for success, Now I travel and they stay protected with a huge support system which includes family and friends. In a SHTF situation it is more probable that I can make it back here on my own than move to safety with small children. I know that everyone doesn't have the luxury to do this but if they can at least have a fall back point and get a game plan together then they will at least have a shot.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I hear you CSBowie...all my eggs in 1 basket..no
everything I do, have done..do I post here...no
I post as reply's to people or to get people to think...WE(you and I) seem to have a lot of things in common..ideas and thoughts.
I don't post them all here..It would take a book to put all the info out there...and quite frankly, there are hundreds of books alredy out there with some good info.
It appears that like me, you have lived in, seen. been to..areas that were in a SHTF...so you have a way better view on it..than most. A lot of the people think its like a video game or a movie..and they will have instant skills.
They also think they can throw the back pack on..then run and gun day and night...so there is a dream world out there..that a lot are thinking is real...thats why I started this tread..like I said in earlier posts....I wanna get people to think, to use there head for something besides a hat rack.

See I have this crazy idea...let them do some research and ask questions...no questions, then they are good. I will gladly help or assist if they want it or need it..but they have to ask.
That way I don't give up all the little secrets that I might or might not have...if I tell all, then you might actually hurt yourself in a SHTF...because the guy down the street read your post, and did it before you..so he got the items or things..just my .02 cents on it
edit on 15-2-2012 by saltdog because: spelling

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I have a simple bug out bag build. Made one for my wife and for me.

I have a simple kit for an on the run approach. Take the essentials only. Light load. With just my wife and I, I only need enough food and water to last for about 3 days. In my experience, 3 days is enough time to find a spot to recharge on supplies. However, it's best to know where that spot is and about how long on foot it will take to get there. The supplies carried would be focused more on food and water.

9 field stripped MREs. Packed right, these wont take up that much room. Might even add a few power bars or protein bars.
Two canteens of water. Coupled with purification tablets, these are easily refillable. Also if you can get the military issue canteens with the canteen cup, that canteen cup can be used to boil water. A camel-bak is also a very useful thing to have for hydration. I would recommend getting one.
6 pairs of socks and underwear. And 3 extra shirts. And maybe another pair of pants, preferably jeans. Also a polar fleece jacket would be nice as well as gloves and knit cap. And if you feel necessary, another pair of shoes besides the hiking boots you should be wearing. And if you have room, you could try and fit a Gortex style rain coat. But a simple plastic poncho will work best for saving space.
You'll want a heavy blanket, preferably made of heavy duty wool. You'll also want a space blanket still in its packaging. Also a light foam mat that can be attached to the outside of your pack is nice to have too. It's not heavy and it's usually pretty easy to attach.
A good tarp is also something you will want. It's a lot easier to carry a 10X10 tarp than a two man tent. If you also carry about 100ft of 550 chord, you'll have the means to set up a pretty solid shelter.
Then comes the little things. You may want to have a headlamp as well as extra batteries. You will definitely want a waterproofed fire kit. A small plastic container that has matches, magnesium block, and even flint. Having a spool of fishing wire and hooks can be helpful for fishing and snare lines. A pocket knife is also a must have. And if you feel it necessary, you can also carry a pistol and a few magazines of extra rounds. I don't have a pistol, yet, so that's not a part of mine. Also a solid first-aid kit is a necessity. You'll want to include band-aids, gauze, medical tape, sterilizing material, and even thread and needle. The thread and needle can be useful for stitching up wounds and even patching clothes.
As far as what kind of pack to use, look in to BlackHawk gear. I would recommend the Tactical RUSH 12 or 72 backpacks. They're big and they have ways to attach stuff on the outside.

That's it. You can add anything else you think is necessary, but this is usually what I would take when I've done my yearly "survival excursion" with the men in my family.
edit on 2/16/12 by Echo3Foxtrot because: first-aid

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Echo3Foxtrot..sounds like you might have an Idea about what your doing...and how to get it done. The biggest thing would be having a safer place to go..if you've got that..then your good to go!! semper fi.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

Yeah, I forgot to elaborate on that.

Basically, I'm going to plot points that may be beneficial. Depending on the SHTF situation, I have to decide whether I want to stay mobile or have a set destination. Currently, I have points plotted on a map of possible safe zones. Mostly military installations and secluded areas in the middle of nowhere. I understand that in most situations places like a military installations could become highly saturated or highly avoidable. I'm an avid camper and I know of many areas often missed by the public that provides the necessities for survival. Mostly abundant wildlife and running water. The cover of trees is also a want, but not necessarily needed. I've got points mapped that are somewhat secluded but relatively easy to get to. I decided to use areas that at least within a mile from a road. I also tried to avoid rough terrain such as mountains. Most of my secluded points are about 3 days travel by foot. I also have farther points noted in case moving from the area is necessary or the distance isn't far enough.

And yes, all travel is estimated by foot travel because I'm not big on having to rely on vehicles. There are too many parameters with vehicles, even a bicycle. You'll have issues with maintenance and also the possibility you may need extra parts. For bikes you'd want to maybe keep extra tubes or even a can of WD-40 to keep the chains from rusting. But at the same time, you can add saddle bags to a bike. But the bike may impede getting to certain places and if you have to make a quick get away, you might have to ditch the bike. It's not a complete negative, just it could become more of a burden than it should be in any situation.

It all comes down to the situation at hand and what kind of environment would be most beneficial.

If anyone wants any tips or has any questions, go ahead and ask. If you want credentials, well, I used to teach the wilderness survival merit badge in the boy scouts and I've learned a lot about survival in the military. Plus I've done some pretty avid research and as I stated before, there's a yearly "survival excursion" the men in my family does. I've got some good stuff that may or may not work for you. But I'm open to inquiries.
edit on 2/16/12 by Echo3Foxtrot because: bottom stuff

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
on a warning because i challenged david ickes teaching, if you take what is false, a lie, and say it is the truth,

this is being deceitful, using deception, so those under Judas ickes control, said i was calling david icke a liar,

well if you are not telling presenting the truth ,but presenting lies as truth what are you doing. ?

another example of this david icke,s hard core followers at his forum, say that this forum is run by the CIA

no electricity

forum.davidicke.com...

johnny

top topics

<< 1   >>

join