It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Potential Uplift in NW Yellowstone?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
So after spending a bit more time taking a look at some of the GPS readings around Yellowstone, I don't see much of anyone talking about this. It appears, unless I am flat out wrong for whatever reason, that many stations in the NW part of the park by Hebgen Lake are showing upwards trends on the vertical scales. You can see the main map of GPS stations here:

www.uusatrg.utah.edu...

And I have prepped a map with a green circle to show you where I am talking about:

Yes, that's a thumbnail, click to enlarge! Go to the link though for the clickable map.

Included so far, stations that are showing this upward trend are stations from P460 headed south all the way down to P361. Now that's a pretty good bit of area. But click on each station in the green circle and look at the bottom of the three charts for the vertical (up and down) displacements.

See what I am talking about? They all appear to be on the rise, and some quite sharply.

Interestingly, there has been recent seismic activity, although small, near this area, on the southeast side of Hebgen Lake. With the apparent ground uplift, I am wondering if this could be magma injection, or possibly uplift from gas pressure. Because they did apparently find and map a humongous gas chamber in the northwest of the park.

Magma, gas, or water- any of these causes could be it, but the point remains. And something to keep an eye on, me thinks.

edit on Wed Jan 18th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I have been waiting for this baby to blow, ever since I saw a documentary on Yellowstone as a kid.

From what I understand, If it goes, which it is I think 60,000 years overdue, it will affect most of the world, and will block out the sun, at least in most of the US, for at least a couple of years, possibly much longer

I think its this, and other things that the elite's are preparing for.

Just take a look on a map, how far Denver International Airport is from Yellowstone .

The built DIA with Yellowstone in mind

Great thread.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
This is very strange indeed, I was under the impression that uplift had generally slowed down over the last year or two, but clearly it hasnt. What is more interesting though is that this area of uplift seems to be outside of the general track of the hotspot (too far north it looks like) Could mean bad things in terms of the size of a potential eruption, were it to occur. Will definitely keep an eye on this!

Btw the uplift goes as far as 461, maybe not as sharp but definitely noticeable.
edit on 18-1-2012 by mastervolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mastervolo

No, you're right: uplift IN THE CALDERA has slowed since like 2009-10.

But this is a new spot I think.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Just out of curiosty, Im looking around at the other stations that are way back around the older calderas (IDPO, P683, that area) and the ground around there seems to be generally moving upways as well. Is that the usual trend for these areas? or would the hotspot still be affecting these areas? Seems odd, I'd just never really considered that ground outside the park would move as well : P

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Good Catch! now to find the plots on PBO as the ones linked from YVO are only showing upto the middle of 2011. Had it out with them a number of years ago with out of date information - then gave up as it got me no where.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
dang, i am planning to visit Yellowstone this summer
, it might blow up just before i go there

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Isn't Norris up that a way?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Double post, sorry
Rainbows
Jane
edit on 18-1-2012 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
It has been rising but I am curious if it is really a new area.

Yellowstone Caldera has Risen Three Inches Per Year for Last Three Years
edit on 18-1-2012 by AuntB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
My Grandpa and the Kids wanted to stop off at Yellowstone this summer... Funny thing is after he watched 2012 last night he said he wouldn't pay a nickel to go there now...

Anyway, I like so many others have an intuitive feeling about Yellowstone but I can only pray that it could have a venting type event without a full blown disaster, is it possible?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Anyway, I like so many others have an intuitive feeling about Yellowstone but I can only pray that it could have a venting type event without a full blown disaster, is it possible?

Not only possible, but if anything happens at Yellowstone, chances are it will be smaller, not bigger. But you never know. There could be a hydrothermal event, which happens from time to time. But full blown eruption? I think at this point no one expects that.

Of course no one expected a 9.1 in Japan, either.
Not there where it happened.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Okay, looking at the other instruments, it DOES NOT appear the is much if any uplift in the area. StationP465

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96

Okay, looking at the other instruments, it DOES NOT appear the is much if any uplift in the area. StationP465

www.uusatrg.utah.edu...

That's P456 not 465. And according to that chart, looks like up to me. But that's just one station. Click around on some of the others, as I circled in OP.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

hey true whats up ? how have you been? good i hope ...

i think your right about this new uplift in the caldrea and this needs to be look into further ...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

okay - nope

P457
P456
P458
P676
P361

Darn, I got excited there for a few minutes.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Well Anmarie, not sure what to think. The data I'm looking at says up, and the data you're providing from PBO says just "sort of" up.

I think we need a GPS expert to weigh in on this discrepancy, cause those PBO charts are interpreting the same data, and yeah are a bit more current, by a few months- but tougher to read.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
been watching the supervolcano news for awhile and am still wondering why no energy corp is not trying to tap the heat energy off of this geothermal hotspot...you got russians wanting to drill into an antarctic under ice lake, you got frack drilling but no attempt to tap this and maybe disipate the destruction of midamerica?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Here's some of that seismicity I was talking about southeast of Hebgen Lake:

www.seis.utah.edu...

With all the quakes up in western Montana, and the gas chamber discovered and mapped, I am really starting to believe an arm of the hotspot is reaching out in a NW direction from the caldera. Now the odd thing about that is the hotspot is supposed to be migrating to the northeast, as the crust moves southwest over it. And that makes me wonder if maybe if it has reached some kind of blockage, and is being forced out in the northwest direction instead.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

S & F (as usual
) for another very interesting thread, so my thanks to you.

Certainly worth keeping an eye on but my understanding is that big calderas "breathe", with fairly regular uplifts and downturns (no idea what the opposite terminology for an uplift is!).

As such, this is certainly nothing to get worried about. Now if the ground starts rising by metres over a short amount of time.........

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join