It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advertisment: Important Topic (3 days)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Who reviews what advertisements show up on this site? The latest offensive advertisement uses the same colors and font as the ATS site in an attempt to bait users to click on it. It has something to do with 9mm guns or something. The point is that allowing advertisements like this reduce the ATS site's credibility. Advertisements are fine, as long as they are not shady.

edit on 18-1-2012 by BIGPoJo because: added the pic

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I've noticed a couple of political campaign ads recently on ATS that are soliciting money; one of them being a Ron Paul ad. What I don't understand is why those ads are allowed to run on ATS, but members are not allowed to solicit campaign donations for their candidate of choice.

15e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:

i) You will not use your membership in the Websites for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

More specifically, I understand why members are not allowed to solicit, but I don't understand why the advertisers are allowed to do something that members are forbidden.

EDIT: Here is the other ad

edit on 18-1-2012 by Muttley2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Do not take this by any means as an official answer, but I think there is a big difference between a member recruiting as part of their FREE membership, compared to an advertiser paying for the right to recruit. If a member ever wanted to pay for some coverage, they could probably contact Skeptic Overlord or Springer and work something out.

Also, the ads are Google Ads, and they are not vetted before appearing, but if they cause any trouble then they can be removed. They can be alerted via the complaint feature, or in This Thread for "Worst Ads Ever! (Skeptic Overlords Ad Hitlist)

Personally, I didn't mind either of the ads brought up here so far. The ones I hate have sound, or roll down to cover the screen, or have other annoying features.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
A Self-Important Ad

reply to post by BIGPoJo

I haven't seen that particular ad, but if someone is actually mimicking the site format just for ATS, it's kind of flattering, I suppose.

Simulating an ATS thread listing, presumably to get more traffic, does seem somewhat shady to me -- if that's what's going on. Ads are annoying enough as it is without being sneaky like that.

Like GRA, though, the ones that bug me are ads with sound or funky code that tries to hijack my browser or other obnoxious behavior. Those rightfully tend to get knocked out pretty quick.

This one seems to fall more into a "gray area" (literally, I suppose, considering the color scheme), but if you were to tack it on to the "Worst Ads" thread, Bill might well decide to give it the heave-ho.

Or not.

Only the Overlord knows for sure...

edit on 1/18/2012 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Their free membership does make the site money though.. as do the ads. Freedom of speech a no no unless someone is paying eh? eh? ;p

Anyway.. the real concern to me are these shady ads that look like they belong to the website. They are just obnoxious and though I never really get fooled by them they are obnoxious and I am sure some users do click them and are taken to who knows what threatening site.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Oh and responding to the second part of your comment.
The ad that is my most hated to date was that superman advertisement where you couldn't click anything and then the superman crest appeared. Then in the middle of the crest it showed something was loading and after a 5 or 10 second wait the entire page turned into an ad.

Annoying, I think I actually complained about that one.

top topics

join