It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reporter discovers that SAS squadron was deployed in Libya - Illegally!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The whole reason the NATO coalition used all of its bombs blowing up Libya was because under international law they were prohibited from putting feet on the ground. My Stepfather is a 1 star in the RAF and at the time we were bombing the hell out of Libya, he told me that SAS and Commando insurgents were deployed in Libya and had been for a decade collecting information, Illegally. This was no suprise to me at the time and it showed that we have been planning an overturning of the Gaddafi regime for quite some time.

For this to come up on the BBC, plain as day proving they had boots on the ground helping the rebels was suprising, and it seems no'one really cares that we broke laws. It will be interesting to see what the UN have to say about it(not that they can actually DO anything about it), but it seems we can do whatever we want, as long as its in the name of freedom, Democracy and overturning an 'evil' Dictator.

Source

The British campaign to overthrow Muammar al-Gaddafi's regime had its public face - with aircraft dropping bombs, or Royal Navy ships appearing in Libyan waters, but it also had a secret aspect.

My investigations into that covert effort reveal a story of practically-minded people trying to get on with the job, while all the time facing political and legal constraints imposed from London.

In the end though, British special forces were deployed on the ground in order to help the UK's allies - the Libyan revolutionaries often called the National Transitional Council or NTC. Those with a knowledge of the programme insist "they did a tremendous job" and contributed to the final collapse of the Gaddafi regime.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
What rank is a 1 star in the Royal Air Force?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

I believe he is a Wing Commander, possibly a Group Captain.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Dionisius

While being sickened having read the linked story, I can't say it really surprises me. This is why MI5, MI6, SAS and who knows what else usually operate in secret.

The existence of E Squadron is well known within the special forces community but has not hitherto been discussed publicly. It was formed five years ago to work closely with the intelligence service MI6, and is mainly involved in missions where maximum discretion is required, say Whitehall insiders.

In modern parlance I believe that would translate roughly to:
"Nefarious # we don't want people to know about, at all"

It's time these secret services were abolished imho. All they ever seem to do are great acts of wrongness...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Yeah, I reported it here on ATS, in a thread.During the first few days of the no flyzone being actived.What's a law to these people?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I have never heard of a 1 star in the Royal Air Force. Stars as far as I am aware is part of the American rank structure

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Like they say, laws are made to be broken.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Nowhere near 'one-star' rank, WingCo/GpCpt are closer approximations to Colonel NOT General.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Kolya

Im gonna call bs on the op's credential

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

He told me that his rank is equivilant to a 1 star, I am not familiar with the ranking systems so I apologise if I have made a mistake. He is currently stationed at shrivenham partaking in elite officer training, top officers from all over the world go to shrivenham.

Trust me, his credentials are fine, and it is now obviously clear that we had special forces on the ground so why the doubt?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dionisius
He told me that his rank is equivilant to a 1 star,

For the avoidance of doubt...

I think within NATO the "star rank" is used to show rank-equivalents between different nations. I would have thought that a “one star” is rank-equivalent to Air Commodore in the RAF, Brigadier in the Army and possibly Commodore in the Royal Navy.

Hope this casts some light

Regards

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Thanks for clearing that up, I'll have to quizz him on why he told me that, probably just trying to big himself up infront of his step son. Bastard

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The rank may be BS. The story is not.

The BBC reported this already.

Inside story of the UK's secret mission to beat Gaddafi

The British have always been into shenanigans like this. how oyou think they occupied a third of the dry land on Earth? It wasn't by playing fair, despite the English gentleman and sporting image of the Brits.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
well the fact that they installed alciaduh and a rothschild central bank and next sharia law
is certainly rank
or
one whiff of what the rank is cooking...
and you will see stars

well you get the idea...

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I did not say I doubted the story. I just wanted to be clear on the rank issue, Shrivenham is a military college of management, and technology, and elite is a much over used term today. The Royal Air Force rank structure for officers is Pilot Officer, Flying Officer, Flight Lt, Squadron Leader, Wing Commander, Group Capt, Air Commodore, Air Vice Marshal, Air Marshal, & Marshal of the Royal Air Force. The UK miitary does not use the star system, I am just asking for the sake of accuracy.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Why would anyone be surprised at the UK Special Forces being active in Libya for a number of years?

Gadaffi had previously been involved in sponsoring terrorism and both funded and trained IRA members.
Surely any intelligence agency etc would seek to gather as much information as possible and monitor the activities of any potential threats to the UK and it's citizens.

In addition the UK had vested interests in Libya and it would have been exceptionally stupid to risk those investments during any uprising.

Personally I think Gadaffi and Libya had progressed since those days and the vast majority of Libyans enjoyed a relatively high standard of living and quality of life.
Libya had an excellent infrastructure and everyone benefitted from the profits of it's oil industry.
Unfortunately, as is all too common, the country was, and still is, riddled with tribal and religious differences and feuds which literally go back centuries.

When this came to a head and the uprising against Gadaffi began the UK, along with France, hedged it's bets to protect it's interests and offered support to the rebels using long existing contacts.

IMO, the uprising will help no-one, least of all the Libyan people, and Libya will descend into yet another Mullah dominated hell hole.

Who benefits from all this?
Well, I think the most telling fact is that Libya will no longer be a ceditor to other African nations but will become a debtor to the IMF etc.

An interesting read on Libya.
globalresearch.ca...

new topics

top topics

join