It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Winged Creature Reported In Pennsylvania (March 2011)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I like stopping by Stan Gordon's UFO Anomalies Zone to read Bigfoot and UFO reports gathered by his organization. I was particularly intrigued by a report from March, 2011 about a winged creature spotted by a gentleman in Butler County, Pennsylvania.

Stan reports

The man told me that he was driving down the road when from about a ¼ mile away, he observed something on the right side in a grassy area. His first thought was that it was a deer. The driver stepped on the gas to move closer to get a better view. From about 50 yards away, he observed something that appeared to be hunched down, and then stood up. The driver then observed a very tall muscular creature. At this point, the driver had his high beams on and watched as the creature walked in front of a yellow reflective road sign, then crossed the two lane road in three long steps and continued into a wooded area. What he saw was a humanoid figure that stood at least 8 feet tall that appeared to have smooth leather-like skin that was of either a darker tan or light brown color.

At this point I was thinking that maybe the witness saw a Bigfoot and in the light the creature's hair looked like leathery skin or maybe even a Bigfoot with mange or hair loss. As I read on I find out:

The witness also saw what appeared to be wings on its back which were tucked into its body, with the wing tips extending toward the side of its head.

Here is a drawing the witness did of the creature:

I find this report very intriguing. If we believe the witness saw something what could it possibly be? Of course mistaken identity is always a possibility. Maybe he just saw a very tall person by the side of the road. The witness even went back to the site the next day to measure the road sign -coming up with his 8 feet tall figure.

Or is this one of the usual winged suspects like The Jersey Devil or Mothman? A new cryptid? A visitor from the stars?

What is your guess? If it would have been you would you have reported it and opened yourself up for ridicule?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Jersey devil. Must be.

Oh and I would have kept it quiet, unless I had concrete evidence.
edit on 18-1-2012 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Probably someone just landed after doing this;

www.mbandf.com...
edit on 18-1-2012 by Ozvaldo because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-1-2012 by Ozvaldo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I'll say it...

Promotional campaign for the new Dark Night movie.

Truthfully, either these "creatures" live for 1000s of years, or no one is clever enough to find a corpse of one of them whilest hunting in the woods. Then again, who knows what really lurks deep underground.

edit on 18-1-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I can't remember if it was in here or on tv that I saw an individual who in daylight saw what appeared to be a "prehistoric long-winged" bird...it sort of resambles the image on the OP.

I'll do up a search see if I can find it!

Here it is Thunderbird in South Greensburg PA - 8/26/10
edit on 18-1-2012 by TheEnlightenedOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by angrywhitechick

Mothman

The time was 1966 in Point Pleasant, W.Va., and something very strange was happening. More than 100 people reported seeing a 9-foot-tall, black, winged creature with glowing red eyes. Some said it spoke to them and forewarned of an impending disaster in their town, a small farming community at the intersection of the Ohio and Kanawha rivers. One year later, their worst fears were realized when the bridge over the Ohio River, connecting Point Pleasant to Ohio, collapsed and 47 people died.

"Mothman"--as the beast was known by locals--was never seen or heard from again.

"There are a lot of people who just don't want to talk about it anymore, either because they are traumatized or they don't want the press attention," said Jeff Wamsley, a Point Pleasant native and author of "Mothman: The Facts Behind the Legend." "People were pretty much scared out of their wits."

The story of this strange season in Point Pleasant was chronicled by journalist John A. Keel in his 1975 book "The Mothman Prophecies."

The book is now a movie.

"The Mothman Prophecies," a $42-million Sony Screen Gems release that opens Friday, stars Richard Gere as a crusading Washington Post journalist named John Klein who, through a personal tragedy, finds himself in Point Pleasant. He gradually becomes embroiled in the town's strange sightings until he reaches a point of obsession and near lunacy. Although the real story occurred in the 1960s, the movie is set in contemporary times. The film also stars Laura Linney (who was paired with Gere in the 1996 thriller "Primal Fear") and "Will & Grace's" Debra Messing.
www.lorencoleman.com...

And also starring Will Patton.
edit on 1/18/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: dvd box photo, and reply to heading

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It was a Venezuelan drone, and you better bet we're gonna invade them over it.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

Mothman

He was once an angel and now he's demon. Simple.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Was there any information regarding the person being on any drugs/alcohol ?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Do I see a talon on the back of that foot? A policeman who investigates evidence of big cats in the North of England has said about once a year he sees a kill that has three puncture wounds. He interprets them as teeth marks, but doesn't know of any animal with two teeth opposing one tooth. I think they are wounds from a creature with talons.

My story is of walking along a track I knew well on a Welsh hillside one dark, misty, rainy night in the early 80's. I could only see the ground immediately around my feet. Suddenly I realised I had walked off the track. I stopped and realised if I didn't find the track again I would have to sit down and wait till morning. There are quarries and small cliffs on that hill, it would be far to dangerous to carry on walking. I felt unsettled, then scared. I became intuitively aware of a winged, humanoid creature hovering several hundred feet up somewhere over my right shoulder and several miles away. I knew the creature was aware of my fear and would use it to home in on me, pick me up with its talons and carry me away. I struggled to contain my fear and felt the creature losing contact with me.

After a little thought I realised that I could estimate how far I'd walked along the track and at that point there were rushes on the left and bracken on the right. The vegetation around my feet was dead bracken, it being wintertime, so I took a few steps to my left and found the track again. For years I thought the creature was purely my imagination playing tricks on me. I'm sure most of you would immediately put it down to imagination.

Then came the wake-up call. A friend told me of an account he'd heard of exactly that creature. In this account the creature was said to be responsible for occasional missing campers. Allegedly this is covered up by 'the authorities'. The area in which the creature is said to live is exactly the area that was several miles away over my right shoulder. Too much of a coincidence for me to easily dismiss.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

It's a very neat story, but that's a terrific drawing that the witness came up with. Almost as if he's had a lot of practice drawing creatures such as this.

I'm going to err on the side of an over-active imagination and great illustration skills...someone might just notice his work now. ::wink::

But, I really like thinking about all the other theories!

edit on 1/18/2012 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

There was a spot where there is small clearing in the woods with a dirt driveway that leads to a field where the farmers always plant "winter wheat" and alfalfa about two miles from where I use to live... every time I'd passed this spot for years I'd always got this weird "tingly" feeling that I'd mentioned to my mother years earlier when we first moved into the area...

Late one night in maybe '98 or '99 I was traveling home I got near this location and got an even odder sensation than "normal"... as though "something were watching me"... the next thing I knew I saw something huge take flight... and when I say "huge" I mean "HUGE"...

It had an extremely slender body and enormous wingspan... it looked directly at me/my vehicle and as the headlights glanced off it's eyes instead of glowing green the glowed fire engine red...

To say I was "spooked" would be the understatement of a lifetime... when I got back to my house my brother was there with several of our friends... I'd told them all "I swear I just saw a demon"... I went through the whole story and everyone was trying to convince me it was "probably an owl"... at that point I'd lived out there for about 13 years... I'd gone "night hunting" and seen plenty of owls... I know what owls look like and how big they get around here... and I know for a fact what I saw was not an owl...

When I read through that post and saw the link for the picture the first thing I thought was "please don't look anything like what I saw"... when I clicked it I got no comfort in the fact that's exactly what whatever it was I saw looked like...

Last night my daughter and I were driving by the area I'm talking about... and I haven't thought about that for years and didn't until I saw this thread... but when we drove by the exact location she said to me "I really feel panicky"... now... that being said... again... I hadn't thought about that experience or that area being "spooky" for years after I'd chalked it up to me just being "paranoid" (as well as avoiding that area for the most part)... but last night we'd gone out to check out a constellation that was "acting weird" and the darkest location I know of is right in the vicinity of where this all happened...

Now I might have to take the deer spotter out tonight and shine it around in the woods...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
How far is the location from the "Whitehouse".

lol

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheEnlightenedOne
I can't remember if it was in here or on tv that I saw an individual who in daylight saw what appeared to be a "prehistoric long-winged" bird...it sort of resambles the image on the OP.

I'll do up a search see if I can find it!

Here it is Thunderbird in South Greensburg PA - 8/26/10
edit on 18-1-2012 by TheEnlightenedOne because: (no reason given)

I thought of that as well. I know Pennsylvania has a rich history of thunder bird sightings. It is pretty rare to get a report of one landed.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Ozvaldo

hahaha true

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

The Mothman Prophesies is one of my favorite movies... though it does skip a lot of details in reference to aerial phenomena before and after the Point Pleasant event.

The stories of this creature continue to surface and circulate, but they don't get as much web coverage as things like UFOs and hauntings, etc.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by freakjive

It's a very neat story, but that's a terrific drawing that the witness came up with. Almost as if he's had a lot of practice drawing creatures such as this.

I'm going to err on the side of an over-active imagination and great illustration skills...someone might just notice his work now. ::wink::

But, I really like thinking about all the other theories!

edit on 1/18/2012 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

I understand where you are coming from. If I had to draw anything I saw it would be a stick figure! If that was his intention for reporting this it was a fail because I don't think many people really got to admire his creature.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

The Mothman Prophesies is one of my favorite movies... though it does skip a lot of details in reference to aerial phenomena before and after the Point Pleasant event.

The stories of this creature continue to surface and circulate, but they don't get as much web coverage as things like UFOs and hauntings, etc.

I know I have heard stories about a Mothman like creature being seen in other parts of the country. I think it was Monster Quest that had an episode about some people seeing a Mothman like creature around the bridge that collapsed in Minnesota but when I tried to do some research I couldn't come up with anything.

Maybe people think it is just something too far out of "normal" to report.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SwissMarked

Thank you very much for sharing your story. I really value and enjoy witness reports like this.

Interesting that your daughter gets the same feeling you did.

Let us know if you do go back!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21
Jersey devil. Must be.

Oh and I would have kept it quiet, unless I had concrete evidence.
edit on 18-1-2012 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

I probably would have kept quiet, too. Too many factors like it being dark, short duration of the sighting, and so on.

I was impressed that he went back to look for footprints and to measure the sign. He must have been pretty sure he saw something unusual to go to all that trouble.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join