It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Obama to reject Keystone XL Pipeline

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

BREAKING: Obama to reject Keystone XL Pipeline

ca.news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Obama administration was poised on Wednesday to reject the Keystone crude oil pipeline, according to sources, a decision that would be welcomed by environmental groups but inflame the domestic energy industry.

"We're expecting the pipeline to be rejected," the source said.

TransCanada's planned 1,700-mile pipeline has become a potent symbol in the battle over of the future of U.S. energy policy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Is Obama scared to create jobs? Is there THAT much environmental red-tape involved?

We all know the Northern Alberta oil-sands here do major damage, but regardless if this pipe-line is still put in these projects will still expand every year.

This will only be a delay until after the next election, because I can see this being re-introduced over and over again until it's implemented.
edit on 18-1-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Perhaps because the Northern Gateway pipeline is going through, they don't need to push the Keystone pipeline?

Just a question, but as of now I'm uninformed on Keystone as I haven't followed it.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
CNN BREAKING NEWS UPDATE:

The Obama administration will likely announce its opposition to the controversial Keystone pipeline project as early as today, according to a Democratic source briefed on the matter.

Though House Speaker John Boehner's office has not yet been informed of the White House decision, the speaker said today that, "This is not good for our country. The president wants to put this off until it's convenient for him to make a decision. That means after the next election. The fact is the American people are asking the question right now, 'Where are the jobs?'"

The proposed Keystone pipeline has been caught up in Washington politics since Republicans inserted a clause in the payroll tax cut extension negotiations last year to try to force an earlier decision on the project. The White House had tried to push the decision until 2013 after the coming presidential election.

The pipeline would run from northern Alberta, Canada, to the Texas Gulf Coast. Republicans a nd some unions support the project because of its job creation prospects. The administration points to environmental reviews still under way, and opponents express concerns about its furthering the nation's dependency on oil.

To be honest, I think him APPROVING this would give him a higher approval rating.....

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
They put that pipeline in, and some lunatic will be making a giant oil lamp with C4.

Go, alternative energy!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

From what I've been reading on the subject this isn't just about environmental concerns. According to many of the land owners who's property lies within the planned pipeline route, it also has a lot to do with "eminent domain." Especially because of the fact that the pipeline is owned by a foreign company. In essence, a lot of property owners feel that if Obama approves the pipeline it will open the door for foreign corporations to exercise "eminent domain" over american land owners.

There's a lot more to this story than meets the eye.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Environmental concerns are plenty.

Pipelines leak, even when installed and maintained competently. To be more precise, they CAN leak.

This pipeline, hauling major toxic crap, goes right through a major fresh water source, where a leak would do major long term damage.

How stupid is that? Really stupid.

Good on Obama. If this pipeline is so important, re-route it so it doesn't go through a major water supply. That would be even more jobs, or longer lasting ones.

But Oh No, that would trouble the God of Profit First, Profit Last, Profit Only, Profit Always.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

20,000 jobs gone.

Price of gas......very high. Economic growth......very low.

Obama has just lost the election.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The whole point of this pipeline is to allow the big four oil companies access to refine oil on the gulf coast so that they can sell it on the global market. Since now the largest U.S. export is refined oil.

No thanks, I am not up for putting the mid west clean water sources at risk which is vital for our food production so that a few ultra rich jerks can make a little more.

edit on 18-1-2012 by AllexxisF1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Open_Minded Skeptic

Than keep getting your oil by tanker.
Because that is the far safer option for oil transportation.
/sarcasm.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I have a friend who lives in Atkinson Nebraska. They want to run the pipeline right above their water table.. that's why people DON'T want it. If it leaks.. Like they ALL end up doing then it contaminates their water supply.. Some of the cleanest water around.. They simply want them to redirect the pipeline and they won't.. Why because they don't give a flyin sideways crap about the people.. So this whole "but it creates jobs" crap needs to quit. Don't need a small bandaid on a massive wound just to end up killing the entire person ya know?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Best news I have heard all day.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Obama has been for higher gas prices his whole life... well except for 10 minute hiatus he took to blame Bush for high gas prices back when Obama was a junior senator. In fact just recently when asked about high gas prices Obama said we should all go out and buy new cars to get better gas mileage. Gee thanks Obama.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by flipflops

When it leaks.
Also, eminent domain all over the place. I don't understand these small government people...one second you want small government, the next you don't.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by flipflops

Any highways over that water supply?

Whoops.

To give you an idea as to why;

On average 37 million barrels are spilt via oil leaks (pipelines/tankers/etc)

On average 363 million barrels go down residential drains and runoffs.

And we are worried about the pipeline 'potentially' leaking...

edit on 18-1-2012 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420

/sarcasm.

At least shipping by truck would probably create more jobs in the long run than the pipeline. You would need to purchase trucks, hire drivers, purchase parts and employ all the administrative workers required to keep it going for years to come. In addition the truckers wold be putting money into local communities through food purchases all along the route they drive.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420

/sarcasm.

The pipeline was to be used to transfer unrefined oil to the big 4's refining plants along the gulf coast so that more could be processed and sold on the market for Canadian Tar Sands owners. The Big 4 would get money for the refining that oil.

After the oil is refined where do you think it go's? ....EVERYWHERE. The largest current U.S. export is refined oil and how do you think we transport the stuff, pipeline or not, with ships.

Talk about deny ignorance, holy crap all you have to do is pick up the damn paper and use some common sense. But you do whatever Right Wing media tell you to believe. If its from the President then it must be bad amirite?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllexxisF1
Talk about deny ignorance, holy crap all you have to do is pick up the damn paper and use some common sense. But you do whatever Right Wing media tell you to believe. If its from the President then it must be bad amirite?

Sadly, most people who want this pipeline don't know the story behind it and don't care. All they care about is that Obama is against it. That means they're FOR it. No reasoning or logic needed.

I sure hope Obama rejects this.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I hope you are brighter than that.

Pipeline is the safest way to transport oil. It has the fewest connections, the least chance of unfortunate occurrence, and is easy to monitor in comparison to any other transportation method.

But why bother with facts.

Why bother with the fact that this water supply already has MILLIONS of barrels / day travelling over it in a far more dangerous shipping method (truck).

Why bother with the fact that a single highway crossing the water supply will have more oil run off than a modern pipeline will leak...

Do you want me to keep going?

The environmentalists are idiots on this one. Let's keep shipping in the least safest manner...it's GOOD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It seems to me that this would just be a short term fix.

Either way we look at it we are at a critical point in human history where a) we decide to just continue with the current and out of date systems of energy and kick the can down the street once more before all hell breaks lose and we are forced to change due to ignorance and greed of a few. OR b) we understand exactly where we are headed if we dont make a change now. Population vs. Resources vs Energy: the human race can win and retain society simply due to our ability to look into the future and adapt to the changes. I we chose not find alternatives we will drown.

Chris Martenson paints a much clearer picture
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join