It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOPA QUESTION

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Ok, i like the other 99% of people have downloaded stuff using torrent programs, and i was wondering because Disney and CBS gave us this item to use for theft as they call it, and are now trying to shut us down, and sue people in some cases, can we not in turn sue them for entrapment? And for whatever the ammount totals in what money they have sued for in the past can the total add together because they are also guilty as accessories to the crime, and the total should be the ammount that each person can sue for?

also if you did not know that SOPA was being pushed by the main owners of the pirate programs you need to google it.

and last sorry if this in the wrong spot

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Ever heard of police sting operations were they leave a nice car fitted with secret cameras unlocked in a bad neighbourhood?

That sounds like entrapment to me, but the cops do it!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
yes, but the cops don't walk up to you, say hello, hand you the keys, explain how to drive it, buckle you in, fill up the tank, and then pull you over and arrest you

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by peanutman27
yes, but the cops don't walk up to you, say hello, hand you the keys, explain how to drive it, buckle you in, fill up the tank, and then pull you over and arrest you

Dont give them any ideas! lol

I'm with you here. I always thought that was stupid.

We'll give you the software, but we're going to sue you for 10X more than it's worth... Because you have no lawyer to fight it!

I wonder how many congressmen's/women's children get singled out for downloading.... None i've ever heard of. I'm pretty sure they're not above it and it is done.. but you and I will never know.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by peanutman27

Torrents have been used for years and years for exchanging free software before computers could even handle the sort of current media we have todday. CBS and Disney did not give us this tool and they dont hand out free instruction manuals explaining how to torrent along with a list of websites that you can access pirated material from.

Sorry facepalm

edit on 18-1-2012 by RandalFlagg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by RandalFlagg

Torrents have been used for years and years for exchanging free software before computers could even handle the sort of current media we have todday. CBS and Disney did not give us this tool and they dont hand out free instruction manuals explaining how to torrent along with a list of websites that you can access pirated material from.

Sorry facepalm

CBS own bit torrent and many other programs like it, now i don't know about you but i never paid for any of my torrent programs, so i call that handing it out for free. correct?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I stand corrected sir, I was not aware that CBS owned a lot of the major torrent programs!

It could after all be a grand conspiracy, allow the people to pirate as much as they want for a while, then place in internet restrictions and censorship on a massive level.

Problem - Rection - Solution

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
So the question now is, who is really behind the websites with the pirated material on!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Brilliant post , yeah CBS will / have been laying torrent traps to use against the masses , honeytrap , sting call it whatever , another mighty empire squeezing the little people.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by RandalFlagg
So the question now is, who is really behind the websites with the pirated material on!

not sure, but basic thought for trying to find out what or why the government is doing something is follow the money, so a quick guess is if they shut down most of the internet they can bring in there own brand of youtube or facebook, and people will either have to deal with it or go on without it.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
If they want to stop the pirating, they need to make their products more affordable to the masses. I guess they haven't heard about the financial problems facing our country over the last few years have they? Now I for one don't support piracy, but I can see why people do it.

First of all, going to the movie theater is out of the question for a lot of people due to the expense. In my area, it's $7.50 per person. For a family of four, that could buy some groceries for a few days. It's not bad enough they gouge you on the ticket price, but then you have to sit through ads that you PAID to watch!

Now when these movies go to DVD, they want to charge you upwards of $30 for that same movie! And forget renting them, most video rental places are either out of business, or are about to be. Add to that the people who don't have credit cards, and their only option is to download it.

I say these bastards have shot themselves in the foot. And now with independents producing their own movies/music, these guys are starting to lose their grip on the industry. So here's how it would go down:

Independent makes a movie. They release it on DVD (studios own the theaters, so they can't release there). Movie studio sees something in the movie, like say a Coke can (Coke owns Paramount). Paramount files suit against independent studio for using copyrighted and trademarked material, as in the Coke can. Now the studio has to spend a butt load of money fighting it, and all the while their site is down, DVD distribution is halted and they go bankrupt. Paramount secures rights to said film so the producers and everyone involved avoids jail time, and releases it to the theaters. Those that made it got nothing.

Now there is the scenario you will see if these two pieces of legislation pass. It is all a shell game so the old school media moguls can keep their financial monopoly on that industry in tact.

new topics

top topics

join