It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Begin Sex Ed in Kindergarten, Says New ‘National Standards’ Report

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LonelyGuy
What gives them the right to decide when children should learn about sex? Did usa become a dictatorship overnight?

In that case, what gives them the right to say when children will learn to read, write, do math, etc etc. On the other subjects that has been in place for many many years and is not being a dictatorship. It is what is required to teach our young people how to be a productive and responsible member of society. I know currently we are failing at that, but it does not change the fact that education is the power every individual needs and deserves to live in our society. By all means, parents should retain the authority to approve or disapprove of certain teachings and remove their child from the process, but they in turn must accept the responsibility of doing so.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Are we seriously looking to teach children to lose their virginity at an earlier age...? My God...girls are losing their virginity at 10 these days. I could tell you stories that would horrify you...

No. I looked at the topic title and thought to myself, "Oh he// no. This is not happening." Sexual education at a young age is an okay thing to do...I learned when I was 10. But not in kindergarten...we will have young boys trying to explore it with girls, and who knows where it'll go from there. 7 year olds raping 6 year olds because they don't know better and that's how they play? We all know kids don't listen very well, so telling them they can't do it won't work. Imagine having to spank your 8 year old son or daughter because they tried to have sex!

This is a disgusting topic. I'm okay with discussing it, but seriously...no sex ed for the little kiddies. You don't know what kind of consequences it could have! Teachers can get sued and their lives ruined by parents going off the handle over harmless little issues, and children could go home saying, "My teacher showed me this!" or something along those lines.

There is so much potential for catastrophe on all fronts, it's like suggesting teaching a cripple to walk on a mine field. Good grief!

edit on CWednesdaypm090905f05America/Chicago18 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

edit on CWednesdaypm252508f08America/Chicago18 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by xuenchen

But you need to consider WHO might be "teaching" these things to your own kids.

I understand your point. It was I who taught my kids, so I don't need to consider it for my own family's sake. My kids are grown, knowledgeable, and very much aware. I am certain they will teach their own kids in the same manner.

If parents do NOT take responsibility for teaching these things, then others need to do it. If the parents ARE teaching it appropriately, then there's no harm in their kids hearing it from their teachers also.

I know you are angry about the way the article was worded...frankly, now I'm a bit confused as to what you are hoping to achieve with the thread. The "vast majority" who do fine are NOT the ones turning out angry, pregnant kids who pack heat, sell sex, shoot at homes, and rape.

It's those who need intervention. Circumventing the poor parenting is the job of society. It really does take a community to raise a child.

My point was to expose the financial agendas of the pseudos.

There are millions of dollars in grant money involved. Not to mention "special" salaries and added expenses.
(Govt and private grants)

The money atracts the vermin who feed from the money.

I have been answering other points with opinions.

You are about 90% on target with your views.

The fact remains this "problem" only affects a small percentage.

The majority has no problem.

I'm not sure, but rapes in 2010 were around 1% of the population.

Yes we need to be concerned with the 1%, but I say only by qualified people, not a generic financial agenda.

We need to get our moneys worth. The country is broke.

(Plus, I really like that combined bathroom idea from nineix !)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Mijamija

As far as I am concerned the actual age and grade is open to discussion as to when the talks should begin.
My only objective is to get it done before some one else does it without any oversight from people that should actually care about the kids.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LonelyGuy

No, America is not a dictatorship. But as to your question: the very same reason we don't teach gun control in high school as an elective. Things can go wrong, people can get hurt...and there's scarring involved as well, especially with the younger children (as with this).

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

What gives them the right to decide when children should learn about sex? Did usa become a dictatorship overnight?

What gives them the right to decide when children should learn how to read, or when to learn algebra, or when to learn about the American Revolution? Those damn dictators deciding when my child should learn about geometry...

Look, it's real simple. If you don't like what the public schools are doing, you are free to put your kid in a private school or homeschool them yourself. If you think you can do so much better yourself, then do it. Public schools have a responsibility to turn out well-rounded, intelligent, productive citizens of society. And they do this without charging you a tuition, and without you having to do the day-in/day-out teaching. How is this a dictatorship?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by LonelyGuy

No, America is not a dictatorship. But as to your question: the very same reason we don't teach gun control in high school as an elective. Things can go wrong, people can get hurt...and there's scarring involved as well, especially with the younger children (as with this).

It is a shame that you fear the world that much.

The powers have really duped you into believing all the "what if's" instead of the facts as they stand now. You seem to be distracted by the things that could happen versus the things that are actually happening. You are right, things can go wrong at any time. Just like the bus having a terrible accident while taking the kids home. I think you are being irrational in your fears.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I wouldn't consider it part of a "liberal agenda" so much as part of a eugenics / population control agenda. While, to the ignorant masses, the "libs" are the pro-abortion, pro-gay choice, and the "cons" are the anti-abortion, anti-gay choice, in reality, prominent members of both parties have been strong proponents of population control and eugenics for generations.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

Germany is a great country and I love it dearly but I do not think the reason the German rape rate is so low is because of their sex Ed program.

That is a factor in why it is low, but it is not the main reason IMO.

There are other factors at work in Germany that cause the rate to be lower than the USA.

And vice versa,

I do not think the lack of sex Ed is the singular reason for the high rape rate here in den USA. I think there are a huge number of factors that cause us "Amis" to have a high rape number.

Sex Ed helps I agree, but the problems the USA has are a lot more systemic and sex Ed just scratches the surface of a much deeper problem.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I think that is way too young for their minds to truly grasp and it eats away at their innocence if it isn't taught correctly. There is just way too much room to screw that sort of thing up to be honest. We teach our kids our values at home and they are each taught different things at different ages so it makes the most sense to their way of thinking. I'm not religious by any stretch and when it comes to this topic some might even call me liberal. We teach our kids the idea of to each their own and what someone does in the privacy of their own bedroom is no one's business. We do not exclusively teach that it should only be a man and a woman, we teach about love, devotion, respect, kindness, responsibility because those things matter far more than the mechanics of sex. This is not to say we have not taught them more of the mechanics of things as they are getting older mind you.. we have a 14 and a 12 year old that are ready to understand more of the mechanics.. the younger two however are a different story. There is no way that any of them would have been ready for a lot of this stuff in kindergarten or even cared for that matter.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dogstar23

I wouldn't consider it part of a "liberal agenda" so much as part of a eugenics / population control agenda. While, to the ignorant masses, the "libs" are the pro-abortion, pro-gay choice, and the "cons" are the anti-abortion, anti-gay choice, in reality, prominent members of both parties have been strong proponents of population control and eugenics for generations.

Another valid viewpoint.

And possible in some circles.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mijamija
reply to post by nineix

Sex Ed helps I agree, but the problems the USA has are a lot more systemic and sex Ed just scratches the surface of a much deeper problem.

Yes, the lack of respect and pride in their country.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

But as to your question: the very same reason we don't teach gun control in high school as an elective.

Are you meaning "gun control", or safe use of firearms?

The people I know who were raised with firearms in their homes (I was not one of them, but am married to one), were taught from an early age SAFETY and PROPER use of firearms. If as citizens we are (for now, anyway) free to keep and bear arms, and a family decides that is what they are going to do, then it is imperative for the adults to teach the children, from a young age, basic safety, respect, and appropriate use of those firearms. Not when they are babies, but as soon as they show an interest. I've known parents who refuse to let their child play with toy guns...whose children then turned around and picked up a stick and pretended it was a gun...and then the kid is forbidden to play with sticks.

What would be wrong with teaching high schoolers the safety and skill parts of owning/using a firearm, when as soon as they reach majority they can go out and get one and might have no concept of how to use it? Without having been trained as to the appropriate time and place, and basic safety and handling and marksmanship skills, they are at a disadvantage. They become the proverbial "loose canon." Dangerous at best, dead or killers at worst.

If my child buys a blender and doesn't know not to stick his or her hand into it while it is running; or a chain saw and does not know to keep it away from their legs; or a lawn mower and does not know you don't stick you hand into the blade area while it's running; or a car without ever having been taught to drive.....whose fault is that?

EDIT TO GET BACK ON TOPIC, SORRY GUYS:
These analogies are, imo, equivalent to NOT teaching children about sexuality and the natural human process and precautions necessary while exercising it.

edit on 18-1-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dogstar23

What was the last planet census? 7, or was it 8 Billion?

There's a reason stuff, all stuff, no matter what the stuff is keeps getting more expensive. Competition for resources.

Less people to feed = cheaper everything.

eugenics is one thing, but, fostering an awareness and social responsibility against increasing overpopulation is another. If everyone on the planet vowed and stuck to only having 1 kid per couple, max 1 kid, then in about 200 years we might be back down to population levels in the 1970s.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
This liberal government doesn't trust parents to raise their children correctly.
edit on 18-1-2012 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-1-2012 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
i am a parent of two boys and i as a mom would never ever want my children to learn about sexuality in any context for my children before the age of Puberty. No thank you!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaMaa
We teach our kids the idea of to each their own and what someone does in the privacy of their own bedroom is no one's business. We do not exclusively teach that it should only be a man and a woman...

So...you do teach them that it should only be a man and a woman?

These two sentences appear to contradict eachother. You say let people do what they want in private, but then turn around completely implying that homosexuality is wrong?

How would you react if one of your children realised they were gay?

Sorry for going a little off topic but this is somewhat mind-boggling.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

What gives them the right to decide when children should learn how to read, or when to learn algebra, or when to learn about the American Revolution? Those damn dictators deciding when my child should learn about geometry...

Look, it's real simple. If you don't like what the public schools are doing, you are free to put your kid in a private school or homeschool them yourself. If you think you can do so much better yourself, then do it. Public schools have a responsibility to turn out well-rounded, intelligent, productive citizens of society. And they do this without charging you a tuition, and without you having to do the day-in/day-out teaching. How is this a dictatorship?

Not a bad response, but LonelyGuy was only talking about sex ed.

The other things are a different matter, but maybe related.

And public schools do charge "tuition". They call it property taxes.

Poeple pay the taxes even if they have no kids or send them to private schools.

"Dictatorship" could apply, but in a loose reference only IMO.

The public schools are a mirror image of the neighborhoods and cities.

Many have failed on all fronts, including financial corruption.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by badkittie748

So you admit that you'd rather your children be fully unprepared for the onset of puberty and not understand that what the urges are telling them to do will, in all likelyhood, result in an unwanted pregnancy?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I dunno. Seems like some topics like birth control dont need to be brought up at that age.
i believe intercourse and birth control need to be brought up earlier in schools, but kindergarten no.

However sexual orientation might be relevant. kids learn when they are young what kind of families are good or bad, usually from parental's that may or may not have a society-friendly biased view.

This is definitely a step forward for gay acceptance. Teachings like this start at home, and the state is trying to get their 2cents in early enough.
you can debate if the state should or not, however i support it so far.
edit on 18-1-2012 by Bisman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join