It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK rendition and torture collusion inquiry scrapped

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

UK rendition and torture collusion inquiry scrapped

www.bbc.co.uk

A controversial inquiry into allegations of wrongdoing by the UK's security services is being scrapped.

Justice Secretary Ken Clarke said the inquiry into the treatment of detainees could not continue because of Metropolitan Police investigations.

These follow fresh allegations that officials assisted the rendition of men to Libya, where they were tortured.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
This sort of thing never ceases to amaze me! Basically what Ken Clarke is saying is that they won’t be initiating the inquiry as the Metropolitan Police are too busy!

I think it's amazing that the government is so blatant in their dismissal of a case which is accusing the UK intelligence services of being complicit in torture.

The fact that MI6 was potentially complicit does not surprise me at all, but the coalition have shot themselves in the foot by announcing an inquiry which they are now backtracking on.

I would suggest that implies guilt!

www.bbc.co.uk
edit on 18/1/2012 by 0010110011101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Why should the scrapping of the Inquiry surprise anyone. The UK Government have been guilty of covering up abuse or assassinations before.

Just look at the Dr Kelly Case to see how far the Government will go to, to cover up such incidents.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

I dont disagree with you at all!

What I would ask is why they bothered to annouce an inquiry to the public in the first place if they had no intention of following through with it.

It just seems like they're knowingly making a rod for their own backs........now why might that be?!?!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0010110011101
This sort of thing never ceases to amaze me! Basically what Ken Clarke is saying is that they won’t be initiating the inquiry as the Metropolitan Police are too busy!

No, that isn't what he is saying at all. That is what you are saying, which means you don't understand what he is saying. Try reading the article again. If you still have trouble with it, I'll explain it to you.

I think it's amazing that the government is so blatant in their dismissal of a case which is accusing the UK intelligence services of being complicit in torture.

There is no dismissal of it, read your article again.

The fact that MI6 was potentially complicit does not surprise me at all, but the coalition have shot themselves in the foot by announcing an inquiry which they are now backtracking on.

They're not backtracking. But (and I am giving you a big hint why you're so far off the mark) they cannot have an Inquiry while there are several criminal investigations ongoing, it might prejudice the outcome of any trial.

The fact they even considered an inquiry is an admittion something went wrong and they want to know what. I don't believe anyone has ever tried to cover this up or deny it, well not from this Government anyway.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Are you usually so condescending? I have read the article and the way it read to me was that whilst some work has taken place they are stopping the inquiry because and I quote Ken Clarke:

"the new police investigations are so lengthy"

He told MPs: "There now appears no prospect of the Gibson Inquiry being able to start in the foreseeable future."

"So, following consultation with Sir Peter Gibson, the inquiry chair, we have decided to bring the work of this inquiry to a conclusion."

I am not sure why you are so quick to launch into a personal attack (read this, re-read that, you don't understand etc)?

I have read a news story, bought it to the board and offered some opinion. I'm sorry if that aggravates you in some way?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Have we ever posted videos on-line with our faces covered demanding the release of a n y one and then de-capitating the people we have to make a point...no. Do we burn effegies...no do we...

Get over it

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by FFS4000
Have we ever posted videos on-line with our faces covered demanding the release of a n y one and then de-capitating the people we have to make a point...no. Do we burn effegies...no do we...

Get over it

I don’t understand the relevance of your point to the article in hand?

Are you suggesting that the UK's complicity in torture was valid because of the burning of effigies by citizens of other nations?!?!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I have read a news story, bought it to the board and offered some opinion. I'm sorry if that aggravates you in some way?

No, what you did was read a news story, bring it to the board, spin it and make it sound like something else to fit your agenda.

What is really happening and which you have pretty much answered in your reply, is that the inquiry will not go ahead because Police inquiries are likely to take such a long time that it is inpractical for the inquiry to be on hold (costing money as it does so) until such a time that they can begin their work.

The article also says the Judge in charge of the inquiry has prepared a preliminary report and there is a mention that another inquiry will be convened after the Met have finished their criminal investigations.

Which is nothing at all like what you posted in your OP. Hence the "aggravation".

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

www.bbc.co.uk
edit on 18/1/2012 by 0010110011101 because: (no reason given)

In fairness though, the article I just read on the BBC site had Mr Clark saying investigations had yet to conclude and an inquiry at this point would be meaningless. He also talks about the inquiry at this time being abandoned, not that an inquiry won't take place once investigations are complete. Of course you can believe that or not, that's up to you, but any inquiry that makes conclusions while investigations are ongoing would be seen as both pointless and a waste of money.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

No, what you did was read a news story, bring it to the board, spin it and make it sound like something else to fit your agenda.

With respect StuMason, I do not have an "agenda". Considering the "Hater of Labour" line in your profile I would suggest the opposite.

The point that I was trying to convey is that it does the UK government no good, regardless of political party, to order an enquiry and then scrap it (BBCs words not mine). A logical person might ask why they incepted the process if the Met's criminal investigations were going to throw a spanner in the works before its completion.

I would also suggest that you could have made your points in your first reply without the inclusion of the underlying patronising tone. A simple, "have you thought about it this way" or "I think you misunderstand what the articles is trying to convey" would have been more appropriate, no?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by 0010110011101

In the UK unlike the US, no one is above the law. The reason they the enquiry has been scrapped is because there are on going police investigations..

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Robin Cook – The Convenient Heart Attack..........another , they say Mo Mowlan also , not sure on that one.

Cook was such a massive thorn in Blairs side , you have to question his demise at that moment in time.

wideshut.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Droidinvoid

Robin Cook – The Convenient Heart Attack..........another , they say Mo Mowlan also , not sure on that one.

Cook was such a massive thorn in Blairs side , you have to question his demise at that moment in time.

wideshut.co.uk...

Whatever peoples thoughts are on Robin Cook, having lost a close relative to a heart attack completely out of the blue recently I think to pin it on a conspiracy is pushing it. As for Mo Mowlam, well, considering the illness she actually died from then that would really have had to have some serious long term planning. Not very likely.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

We're getting off topic here, but wasnt Mo Mowlam's brain tumour benign and she died from a serious fall at home - if my memory serves?

I'm not saying that the government are implicaetd, just playing devil's advocate......

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

reply to post by something wicked

We're getting off topic here, but wasnt Mo Mowlam's brain tumour benign and she died from a serious fall at home - if my memory serves?

I'm not saying that the government are implicaetd, just playing devil's advocate......

Hi, and appreciate the potentially off topic comment, you are right - I was responding to a previous post. However, she was admitted to a hospice following a fall, yes, but the tumour was - and I say was - the ultimate cause. My understanding is that she had said the tumour was benign to convince Blair she was fit to keep her role.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

edit on 18-1-2012 by Droidinvoid because: (no reason given)

something wicked,

I hear you and respect your opinion and sorry for your loss.

Justice Secretary Ken Clarke said the inquiry into the treatment of detainees could not continue because of Metropolitan Police investigations.

Like already stated , this does in no way assert that there will never be a forth coming inquiry , time will tell.

Sorry for the off topic verbal winding road .

edit on 18-1-2012 by Droidinvoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

In the UK unlike the US, no one is above the law. The reason they the enquiry has been scrapped is because there are on going police investigations..

That's not quite true now is it! Remember Tony B-Liar quashing the SFO investigation into the dodgy goings-on over at British Aerospace? That was another blatant politically motivated move to stop any investigation of what could have potentially turned into a very nasty can of worms indeed.

So yes, some are above the law, just need to be well connected to avoid the flexible arm of the law these days!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Ok hands up it is not entirely true..

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Look in the real world you cannot always play to the rules because the terrorists never do.If we abide by the rules it puts us at a huge disadvantage.The powers that be may say they stick to the rules but in truth they never do.If you had any dealings with Police or security services you would find that they are the man and you are screwed,the only thing that can save you is not truth but money.

top topics

join