It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOPA lives—and MPAA calls protests an "abuse of power"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
As far as piracy goes, even the copyright mob's own studies show piracy is at worst a wash (a sale negated by piracy is also added because of it) or that it actually adds to sales over time. There is a big reason why you see big time artists who have gone independent such as Coldplay and Nine Inch Nails release their latest albums for free.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
LONG LIVE THE INTERNET

see you later MPAA!!! You knew you were toast when Matt and Trey blew you guys out of the water

Check out

"This film is not yet rated"

the MPAA is the shadiest of the shades!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Excellent film and goes to show the kind of censorship the MPAA Ratings board goes through. My favorite part was when the creators of South Park were trying to distribute their independent film Orgazmo vs the South Park movie and how they were treated differently.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Hmmm....where have I heard all this before? Ah, yes....VCR's will destroy the movie industry! Cassette tapes will be the death of the music industry! Nobody stifles innovation like these guys. The more power and control they get, the more they seem to want.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Abuse of power!
ARE YOU *ING KIDDING ME???

They wanna take over the internet and block websites for the American public, but it's an abuse of power to blackout a website to educate people on what will actually happen when SOPA and PIPA pass? Then it'll be a PERMANENT blackout on whatever websites the government deems inappropriate.

How does this even make sense? I think they're just pissed off that people are actually opposing their control-freak plans.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

And besides, all they're going to accomplish is accelerate the development and learning of methods to circumvent such blocks to websites.
Government, take heed, because if you thought random hackers were scary, you're about to create a whole new breed of internet revolutionaries.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by trollz
reply to post by trollz

And besides, all they're going to accomplish is accelerate the development and learning of methods to circumvent such blocks to websites.
Government, take heed, because if you thought random hackers were scary, you're about to create a whole new breed of internet revolutionaries.

Yep. They better not underestimate the power and genius of some of these hackers.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

I disagree they are far removed from reality. We are in the reality the greedy and corrupt have created. It is those of us who think we can actually stop stuff like that who are removed from reality, because we know even if this does get stopped they will pass some other similar act. Nothing short of total revolution can save us now, and that would be world war 3.

Then let's start a revolution and create a new reality.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by capone1

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but what I meant was that with these kinds of blocks and censorships put in place, it will bring a drastically larger number of people into the world of internet security and evading censorship.

If you think about it... Say these bills pass, and you're no longer allowed to access your favorite websites. Are you going to just say "oh well, I'll just go watch some tv", or are you going to at least wonder how you can continue to access your favorite websites? Maybe you'll even educate yourself and find a way to do it. And without these bills, maybe you would have never learned about such things.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Former Senator Dodd is one of the main reasons politicians have a bad image. The only people who should be allowed to speak to Congresspeople and Senators are their constituents and fellow Congresspeople and Senators. There should be no Committees and Committee meetings behind closed doors. These fellows are not in Washington to give their own opinions, they are there to represent ours.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
An abuse of power? I don't think the MPAA quite understands the meaning of that. Or they do, and are taking the "Do as I say, not as I do" route.
Either way, horse crap. People speaking up against restrictions of freedom is not an abuse of power. Preventing them from doing so is.

edit on 1/18/2012 by Nyiah because: Typos...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Contact the Motion Picture Association of America at [email protected] and write some complaints. Although it won't though much, the negative response from consumers is sure to shake them up a little if it occurs on a large enough scale. I suggest we also boycott their products untill further notice.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
The SOPA Sponsors are biting the hands that feed. This is never a wise idea. We will eliminate all who support this act by boycotting them. Simple and effective now to get everyone else on board... Just have to do this and then the corporations will bow down before the people they are supposed to serve.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
You can't get everyone else on board because none of them are even aware of SOPA. Today a bunch found out for the first time. Still not that many.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I find the MPAA's take on the protest agianst SOPA and PIPA outrageous. This is not an abuse of power. This is a free and legitimate excuse of power by the people against a law they see as unjust. Mr. Dodd and the MPAA has forgotten about the first amendment. Oh, Excuse me, The first amendment is a barrier to even more profits for Mr. Dodd and his like minded sociopaths who think the because they have all the riches they can push their will on the American Public. This should not suprise anybody really concerning the fact that Mr. Dodd was a sitting U.S. Senator and therefore a tool of the ruling class. Also, As Chairman of the Senate Banking Commitee, He was getting sweetheart deals from Countrywide financial prior to their buyout from Bank of America.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join