It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikipedia Down: Internet Blackout Has Begun

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I'm missing it. I love reading random articles on wikipedia.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
reply to post by happy2003

Please tell me who you are so that I can never buy any product associated with you. I would also like to know the business you work for as I will not be buying any of their products either. Thank you for your support of draconian laws.

ATS has always had a political content to it. If you failed to notice this it is because you never ventured far from a few forums. I can go to those forums now and see content without political discussion in it, or I can come to a news forum and see discussion on a political view much as you have just done.

ATS has always had its political side. It did at one time have a much better grouping of people that held very intelligent conversation with a great deal of critical thinking.

If SOPA passes ATS will be lost for sure, as will most other parts of the net.

Again though please inform me of anything you are in contact with so that I can make sure I do not support those products.

Raist

I just click t on my favorites to log in. and i got a what if.. from ats. site whas shut down by the great firewall...
I had to click a link at the end of the notice to get in here...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Wikipedia seems to be up and running fine with my browser? Maybe there is just a cookie needed or something?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Anyone remember how to read a newspaper? Watch local news on Tv? I just bring those points up, you still need to maintain a view from at home first. Same as watching the weather. I can directly effect what happens at my area, but can only do so indirectly on an international level.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
███████ everything ████ ███ █ is █ █████ ██ fine █████ ██████ ███. ████'█ ██ ██████. The ████ ███ █ government ████ ███ ██ knows ████ ███ best █ █████ ██.

Thank you for the great new sig. I love that soooo much lol.

By the way please don't sue me for using it if SOPA and PIPA pass.

edit on 18-1-2012 by Strict because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I'm sorry ATS. After reading some of the posts in this thread, we can no longer DENY IGNORANCE. It EXISTS - no doubt about it. Lord give me patience. They know not what they do.

SOPA must be stopped for all our sakes...even those who would lead themselves to slaughter.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Razimus
It's not even down, it's just a weak forwarder, just go to the page you want, hit the esc button a few times and it works fine, I'm kind of disappointed by the fake blackout but it's better than nothing.

So they are using this Wiki blackout as an example. There will always be hackers able to steal and redistribute copy written material. Historically the artists have been satisfied with limiting copies. Some redistribution using lossy grade media such as VCR tapes etc., has always been grudgingly tolerated as long as its not for profit.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Ignorance exists everywhere.
It permeates existence for those of us that go 'against the grain'.

Think of it this way, If you sing good music. People will buy your music. Simple.
Lil wayne has no problem making millions.(i dont find it good, but to each their own)
Katy Perry
Eminem.
etc etc etc.

They all make really good money doing what they do. And i bet their stuff is pirated. Do you hear them complaining? The only ones complaining are the RIAA, because their own profits are suffering, not the band/singer. A band/singer makes most of their money playing their music live for people who pay good many to hear said live music. Merch as well. The singer only gets about 14% of the profits of the CD, the rest is divided elsewhere (riaa takes a nice chunk)

And movies? Psh. I downloaded avatar,
Avatar grossed over 2 billion dollars.
I paid to see avatar in the theatres as well.

Im not going to go waste money on music i'm going to hate. If you like a band, go support them. Thats what i do (when i can afford it). If i download music, and i hate it. I delete it. Just like most people.

If one makes good products, then people will buy them. If one makes crappy products, then don't expect to get paid.

Rank Title Worldwide gross Year Ref
1 Avatar $2,782,275,172 2009 [# 1]
2 Titanic $1,843,201,268 1997 [# 2]
3 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 $1,328,111,219 2011 [# 3]
4 Transformers: Dark of the Moon $1,123,746,996 2011 [# 4]
5 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King $1,119,929,521 2003 [# 5]
6 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest $1,066,179,725 2006 [# 6]
7 Toy Story 3 $1,063,171,911 2010 [# 7]
8 Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides $1,043,871,802 2011 [# 8]
9 Alice in Wonderland $1,024,299,904 2010 [# 9]
10 The Dark Knight $1,001,921,825 2008 [# 10]

List of the top 10 grossing movies.
I make cents in comparison to that.
They don't need my extra 30 bucks to have a copy of a movie.
Call it whatever you want,
Christian Bale received 38million dollars for The Dark Knight. Not that im complaining, glad he did good for himself. But the fact remains is, not enough people download to actually make a substantial dent in the profit margins of big movies and big bands.
Small bands don't get downloaded much anyways. And lots of small bands give their music for free for publicity.
edit on 18/1/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
It would appear Wikipedia has already (as well as Google) started their protest against the SOPA legislation. If this has already been posted, I apologize.

Wikipedia down

Wikipedia has begun its 24-hour blackout in protest against the SOPA and PIPA bills that have currently been 'shelved'. The online encyclopedia says that even though the bills are currently dormant, they have not completely disappeared. SOPA's sponsors have said that the bill will be brought back for discussion in February. Wikipedia opposes the bills because they fundamentally oppose Wikipedia's belief in free and open Internet.

Google is blacking out their logo on their website for this, as well as placing a link to find out more information. Reddit will be down in a little under five hours. I wonder what, if any, fallout will become of this?

I thought it was funny that google just put a black rectangle over the name. So silly! they should have just shut down completely for the day! Sopa is so so so so SO SO SO SO against our liberty.

SMR

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by happy2003
Hello, as a SOPA supporter (not American), I wanted to say something.

I support SOPA because:
4. I want to be able to sue people that insult me on message boards.

Life was a lot better before the Internet anyway. It's mostly the nerds, geeks and web junkies that oppose SOPA.

If SOPA passes, I am going to sue you for insulting me and I'm glad I have it on record.

Good Day Sir

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, But isn't, or hasn't Google already been proven to be on the .Gov's side? As in, part of TPTB? If so, why would they support this? Something smells, bad.

I am not sure if this was mentioned as I did not read through all the replies, but you can go here, and enter your zip code to contact your local representatives on this issue. en.wikipedia.org...

U
edit on 18-1-2012 by USarmyFL because: Add

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Hello, as a SOPA supporter (not American), I wanted to say something.

I support SOPA because:
1. I am an occasional singer (besides my office work). I don't want my mp3s to be passed on from one person to another freely. I have to earn a profit from my singing, you know.
2. I don't want my birth day and bio on Wikipedia or on IMDb if I become a celebrity. My biography is mine, it's not public property so I have the right to keep it private.
3. I don't care if Facebook and Wikipedia cease to exist; they are time-wasters.
4. I want to be able to sue people that insult me on message boards.

I think the ATSers afraid of SOPA are the political junkies that ruined ATS. Yeah, that's right -- it was a time when ATS was more about UFOs, aliens, time travel, paranormal stuff and now it's mostly about politics; Obama this, Ron Paul that. It's not what it used to be!

If this law passes, a lot of the internet will become useless

So what?! Are you an internet addict or something? Life was a lot better before the Internet anyway. It's mostly the nerds, geeks and web junkies that oppose SOPA. SOPA won't destroy the Web, it will clean it from junk like 4chan, memes, illegal mp3s, etc. You'll still have access to freeware & shareware.
edit on 18-1-2012 by happy2003 because: (no reason given)

Lol yeah we're all dying to illegally download what I'm sure is some incredible singing.

And you want to be able to sue anyone who insults you on message boards? So you're against freedom of expression and freedom of speech too?

I'm starting to think this post is sarcasm, no one's this stupid, right?

edit on 18-1-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by staticarium

Originally posted by punisher2012
reply to post by staticarium

Good luck with your "detour" educate the world! Stand up and protest the site! Thanks for stirring the hen house up this morning.

Good luck with your silly little protest. I'll be laughing at you when it gets signed into law

And I'll be sad for you and the rest of the world when it does. This isn't a USA-centric issue. This could have ramifications that could destabilize the entire internet.

Just like when Napster got shut down, I have a feeling there will be "workarounds" to whatever the gov. tries to impose. The hacker/technophile community is always one step ahead.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by InFriNiTee

The same for me. Today I had a few things that I thought "well lets just see about that..." and usually I'll hit the wiki search result on google (I mean, who actually uses bing?). Nope, had to just rely on other websites.

Sure wikipedia isn't perfect, and you can't always trust the material...but it's free, and it's surprisingly accurate for what it is.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

It's just a reminder of what is to come if SOPA passes. You think it's selfish that they are doing this? How about when Uncle Sam aka the Federal Government does it? Will it be an annoyance then? I think it will be. I mean no disrespect but if you can not endure one day of disruption then what will you do when the government enacts it's tyrannical laws over the internet and you have no choices?
edit on 1-18-2012 by Flint2011 because: Typos and mispellings.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Could I just point out the simple fact that as long as I've been coming to this site , which is about a year , I've been warned about the disinfo agents who post here.

It's obvious to me as someone whose read this on this very site that the people saying this is a good idea are obviously disinfo agents who are working with the government. Arguing with them is completely pointless , they're sheeple who've been brainwashed for their job.

Seriously read the Art Of War or anything about the CIA , It's an age old tactic to put people you can trust into organizations you dislike to try and tear them apart from the inside. They're called moles.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by staticarium

Originally posted by thejlxc

I disagree with you. I agree with raist just based on reading the posts in question. I'm sure I'm not alone here. I wasn't here for the "glory" days, but I see what he's saying, and it's net and world wide IMO.

I really couldn't care less if you disagree with me, you are getting SOPA whether you like it or not.

Lol so are you.

Us website, blocked... ahem..

tick tick tick tick tick -- did it sink in yet?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

reply to post by Raist

ATS is not a piracy website. And I have nothing to be afraid of, since I'm doing nothing illegal online.

AHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhhahhahhahhhhhaaaaaah!

omg you really think thats it..

Oh bejsus freakin christ.

WOW..

I will now indulge in a stinky prawn stir fry, because... frankly it has less chance of making me sick.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join