It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikipedia Down: Internet Blackout Has Begun

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I Just prefer intelligent conversation.

Can't we all agree that SOPA is wrong, so wrong if they pass it, we should all do more to stop this mess?
edit on 18-1-2012 by thejlxc because: Jumping to conclusions, edit.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by thejlxc
reply to post by staticarium

I disagree with you. I agree with raist just based on reading the posts in question. I'm sure I'm not alone here. I wasn't here for the "glory" days, but I see what he's saying, and it's net and world wide IMO.

I really couldn't care less if you disagree with me, you are getting SOPA whether you like it or not.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by UkRandom
why would any site ban for the use of an adblocker? that makes no sense to me at all
is it not down to the users own preferance if they want to see adverisments or not
also how would the site owners know if members do or dont use adblockers as its impossible to tell

that has to be the strangest statement iv ever read on the web by far

Because the site makes money from advertising. Advertisers aren't going to pay as much money if half the members are using software which prevents the display of these advertisements.

ATS T&Cs

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by UkRandom
why would any site ban for the use of an adblocker? that makes no sense to me at all
is it not down to the users own preferance if they want to see adverisments or not
also how would the site owners know if members do or dont use adblockers as its impossible to tell

that has to be the strangest statement iv ever read on the web by far

Because the site makes money from advertising. Advertisers aren't going to pay as much money if half the members are using software which prevents the display of these advertisements.

ATS T&Cs

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

thanks for pointing that out to me i retract my statement from earlier
never heard of that on any other site before but thats neither here nor there
once again thanks for pointing that out

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Oh, on that I agree completely.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I've already heard three times this morning on HSN/CNN that some websites are protesting Piracy laws??

Is that the same as protesting a bill that would eradicate websites such as this? Because i was under the impression that TPTB wants to totally control the Internet. Am i confused?
Is piracy the same thing?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I used to think self preservation and self interest were universal human drives but after reading this tread I'm beginning to doubt it.

If the US gov declared it was going to launch all its nukes tomorrow there would be someone on here arguing that it was a great idea and suggesting the best place to go to enjoy the show.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
add :
cryptome.org...
to the list

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
They're protesting piracy laws that don't make sense
Infringe on free speech and expression.

A lot of our favourite websites are based out of the US. And sites like this (ATS) will be all but a dream.
Youtube? censored
Facebook? censored
Google? censored

If SOPA passes, the government will have even more people ready for a revolution. Simple as that. And it effects THE ENTIRE WORLD. Not just the US.

If i get sued for linking a youtube video to an artist i like, showing someone the song that i like for them to listen, i will probably snap, I'll make headlines.
edit on 18/1/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Im looking at wikipedia right now... no I didnt use any of the tips to get by it being down... its up just like normal with no mentions of SOPA/PIPA... while other websites are... maybe its just me?

Even tried refreshing my browser, and nothing on wikipedia... but reddit is off, and ATS keeps popping up the firewall thing

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

It's a PROTEST, so that the internet can remain Free .. otherwise, you may never see some sites ever again...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

If I said to you what I really want to say...I would be breaking ATS's T&C's...so I won't.

However...since you make use of wikipedia...and it was created by Americans...I should think you would be supportive of what they are doing today.

The fact that you are not supportive...only thinking of yourself...and what you want when you want it...speaks volumes about your character qualities.

And...believe me...I am so glad myself and many other members are not like you....

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I noticed that Wiki is down several times since last night and today! I realized how much I actually use the service. I'm hoping that Wikipedia will keep track of the amounts of hits that were "redirected" to the black screen. They could then show how much information was prevented from people being able to access if the draconian bills are enacted. It's a little of an extreme way of showing what could happen, but I say good on their part.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by staticarium

Originally posted by thejlxc

I disagree with you. I agree with raist just based on reading the posts in question. I'm sure I'm not alone here. I wasn't here for the "glory" days, but I see what he's saying, and it's net and world wide IMO.

I really couldn't care less if you disagree with me, you are getting SOPA whether you like it or not.

No you still don't get it. I'll re-phrase it for you.

"I really couldn't care less if you disagree with me, WE are getting SOPA whether WE like it or not."

Try to wrap this around your head. What effects us effects you. SOPA will permanently effect you.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I should also clarify that the only reason I think it's a little extreme is because they could do this in a little different way.

I think that instead of taking you to the black page, they should redirect you to a page that educates people about what is happening, but has a link to the original article you were looking for. To the side of the original link, they could say something like "Thankfully we still have the freedom to share info on the WWW. If these bills are passed, many of these pages or ALL of them could become inaccessible."

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
glp is out as well

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking

Originally posted by Acidtastic

The way you worded that, makes it look like you think that wiki are being selfish for this protest, I hope I've read that wrong.

Wikipedia are denying access to an important resource used by English speaking people around the world, simply because of an American legislation. That is not fair.

They'd like everyone who regularly uses their free service to know that governments are beginning their attempts to infringe on freedom of speech on the internet.

If anyone is being selfish, it's you - the one complaining that they can't read any Wikipedia articles for an ENTIRE 24 hours!! How dare they deny you their free website for a whole day - you should sue
edit on 18-1-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

Then it is down to you people to stop your government, do NOT punish the entire world because you are inept at keeping your government in check.

This is one of the more ridiculous posts I've read on here.

Too inept to keep our government in check? If you knew how to make the governments bow to the people, I'm sure your day would be filled with appointments laying out strategies to numerous countries citizens, and therefor would be too busy to be posting on ATS.

Also, given you're so heavily reliant on our Wiki website, couldn't I also say wherever it is you hail from, your country is too inept technologically to have its own Wiki? Why don't you and your inept patriots hold your tech leaders accountable, so you're not relying on our website databases?

Not too mention, if this legislation does go through, the whole world will literally be punished. You just don't get it do you? Go back to class. Your teacher is probably wondering why your bathroom break took so long.
edit on 18-1-2012 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by InFriNiTee
I should also clarify that the only reason I think it's a little extreme is because they could do this in a little different way.

I think that instead of taking you to the black page, they should redirect you to a page that educates people about what is happening, but has a link to the original article you were looking for. To the side of the original link, they could say something like "Thankfully we still have the freedom to share info on the WWW. If these bills are passed, many of these pages or ALL of them could become inaccessible."

Nice job..nice reply.....thankyou

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Good luck with your silly little protest. I'll be laughing at you when it gets signed into law

So here we have the meat of it all.

You think it has absolutely no affect on others outside of the U.S. Sadly though you are complaining about not being able to use a website based in the U.S. so I guess you might have noticed how it affects you as well, or at least you should. If you cannot get it after that I am not sure what will help you understand.

For the most part I do not use Wiki that much, I do enjoy it from time to time to help get started in research. I would miss the site if it were gone. The fact is though that most of the web would be shut down if the law takes effect. YouTube would be lost, again it is not greatly important on its own but it has its place.

Something tells me places such as Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace would soon be lost as well. I do not use them at all but a great many do use them to communicate.

Anyone who says they will be laughing if this passes is a fool. I will leave it at that.

Raist

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

What country are you in so we can compare to see if your country is as free and open as the US? I'd like the chance to compare.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join