It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikipedia Down: Internet Blackout Has Begun

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by staticarium

It's good to keep in mind that Wikipedia was created by English speaking Americans.

If you don't like how they do things, I'm looking forward to reading your new free encyclopedia website.

Otherwise stop whining
edit on 18-1-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking

It's good to keep in mind that Wikipedia was created by English speaking Americans.

If you don't like how they do things, I'm looking forward to reading your new free encyclopedia website.

Otherwise stop whining
edit on 18-1-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

Why would I create anything when I can get people around their blackout without reading their propaganda?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by punisher2012

Originally posted by staticarium

Originally posted by Acidtastic

The way you worded that, makes it look like you think that wiki are being selfish for this protest, I hope I've read that wrong.

Wikipedia are denying access to an important resource used by English speaking people around the world, simply because of an American legislation. That is not fair.

Grow up and stop talking to us about fair! Wiki was made by 2 men in the USA if there company is in danger, they have every right to do as they damn well please with it. And like others have said its the same wiki you use so the world will be affected by this and so much more of what's taking/going to be taking place soon. The nerve on some people.....

How about no? How about I continue to help people get around it without reading their pleady rubbish and you sit there and take it?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   

And when the legislation passes, then what.

OMG... just wow..

I should sell KY here, I'd make a fortune.!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

That is because they are not seeing the big picture. If it passes (or should I say when?), the search results on Google will be far fewer. Honestly at that point we would not longer need Google since there would only be like 5 web sites left on the web.

Raist
edit on 1/18/12 by Raist because: typo

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Yep darn that "propaganda" how dare they tell the truth.

What a sad case some are on ATS, I so miss the old days of holding intelligent conversations.

Raist

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raist

What a sad case some are on ATS, I so miss the old days of holding intelligent conversations.

Raist

What's even sadder is using insults because you cannot handle people with differing opinions.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
they did it in protest to SOPA.
they havent been shut down.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   

I did not insult you at all. I was refering to the lack of intelligent conversation that takes place on ATS today as compared to years ago.

If you find that insulting, well that is your problem. Maybe though you find it insulting because it strikes close to home. Again though I did not directly insult you at all. However I can see it now, the whole world is against you. First the blackouts and now me for making an off hand comment.

Sad face

Raist

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raist

Raist

What's even sadder is using insults because you cannot handle people with differing opinions.

Man, u seem to think this is not important. It is. They want to legally limit access to websites. Not dirty ones, but any that they deem out of order.

Do you even understand the legislation, or are you simple argumentative for fun?

I honestly do not know.. And you're pissed wiki is down for 24 hours, how would it be that you are NEVER able to access it, or likeminded websites?

Im seriously confused by your posts.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
would be intresting to see if this sopa act has any bearing on the underworld of the net
and by underworld i dont mean google,wiki etc
i mean the things google and other engines dont cache
the parts of the internet that for most people are invisible

the web is far bigger than most people realise
the net/clearweb you see daily is just the tip of a very big iceberg
just because you dont see things on the web doesnt mean its not there

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   

How to defeat the wikipedia blackout:

Go to the site, once the site blacks out with their stupid little message, click on the link that says "Learn more", you are then taken to a page listing their "reasons" for being so selfish, at the top of the page, there is the search bar - simply type in whatever it is you want to look at and as soon as the normal article loads, press the "stop" button on your browser and the blackout screen wont reappear.

Then it is down to you people to stop your government, do NOT punish the entire world because you are inept at keeping your government in check.

The bolding is mine.

Irony much? Seems they have a different opinion than you have. Yet you seem to be tossing insults.

Funny that.

Raist

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
OP are you for real ?!

So you want to educate the people of ATS on how to get around the Wiki protest.....

Errr, this is ATS ! We already have the smarts to work our way around it thank you, and do not need the crass opinion of somebody, who quote clearly doesn't understand that this isn't just a protest, this is what our future could potentially look like, should this legislation win the day.

Just imagine, not being able to google "Hypergiant star" and not being able to gain instant intellectual gratification, upon following the link to the wiki page.....

Man that would just be apocolyptic !!!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
The best black-out template by far that I've seen traveling around (aside from ATS's multi-badge pic) is on Uncyclopedia, a satiric mirror of wikipedia. Its template protests in favor of SOPA and against wikipedia's protest. Bizzaro world stuff, but well done.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Good luck with your "detour" educate the world! Stand up and protest the site! Thanks for stirring the hen house up this morning.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by punisher2012

Good luck with your "detour" educate the world! Stand up and protest the site! Thanks for stirring the hen house up this morning.

Good luck with your silly little protest. I'll be laughing at you when it gets signed into law

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
You apparently can also use adblock plus and disable _javascript. Saw it already on reddit.

I would strongly advise against anyone doing that if they are planning on using ATS as well. I'm pretty sure that it's a bannable offence to use ad blockers while accessing ATS.

To bypass the Wikipedia blackout, you just need to disable _javascript on your browser. It doesn't bother me too much, anyway, as I spent 24 years of my life without Wikipedia, so I think I could have survived 24 hours without it.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
You apparently can also use adblock plus and disable _javascript. Saw it already on reddit.

I would strongly advise against anyone doing that if they are planning on using ATS as well. I'm pretty sure that it's a bannable offence to use ad blockers while accessing ATS.

Statement Retracted
edit on 18-1-2012 by UkRandom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
So it's not going to affect anyone else aside from the US? Right. Take a look into ACTA. What affects one affects everyone.

Government ACTA page

ACTA wiki

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Then it is down to you people to stop your government, do NOT punish the entire world because you are inept at keeping your government in check

I'm pretty sure the entire point of the blackouts and protesting is to do exactly that--keep the government in check. If we do nothing, they will do what they want. Sometimes, it takes a noticeable presence like a big website that is used by large numbers of people.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join