It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikipedia Down: Internet Blackout Has Begun

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
It would appear Wikipedia has already (as well as Google) started their protest against the SOPA legislation. If this has already been posted, I apologize.

Wikipedia down

Wikipedia has begun its 24-hour blackout in protest against the SOPA and PIPA bills that have currently been 'shelved'. The online encyclopedia says that even though the bills are currently dormant, they have not completely disappeared. SOPA's sponsors have said that the bill will be brought back for discussion in February. Wikipedia opposes the bills because they fundamentally oppose Wikipedia's belief in free and open Internet.

Google is blacking out their logo on their website for this, as well as placing a link to find out more information. Reddit will be down in a little under five hours. I wonder what, if any, fallout will become of this?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
This is a conspiracy site so I am going to throw this one out there, just for fun. Maybe the SOPA protest is actually a cover up and the down-time/change ups on the sites are so they can fully load in the new integrated tracking and censorship utility. *bum bum bum*

edit on 18/1/2012 by TheSparrowSings because: typo

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
How to defeat the wikipedia blackout:

Go to the site, once the site blacks out with their stupid little message, click on the link that says "Learn more", you are then taken to a page listing their "reasons" for being so selfish, at the top of the page, there is the search bar - simply type in whatever it is you want to look at and as soon as the normal article loads, press the "stop" button on your browser and the blackout screen wont reappear.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
If this raises awareness of TPTB becoming ever more determined to eradicate freedom from the net, I'm all for it. Though I do wonder how many people will see the blackout graphic, sigh and just click to a different site without reading any further.

And just for reference, the mobile and app versions of wikipedia are running fine, just the main site blacked out.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Well, the media isn't really covering this to much. I mean, wiki was down for a few hours before I posted this and I hadn't seen anyone else do so. I'm not sure if this will really do or accomplish much. People in the 40+ years of age will see the google page and go, "oh well, google does weird stuff...let me search now..."

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by staticarium
How to defeat the wikipedia blackout:

Go to the site, once the site blacks out with their stupid little message, click on the link that says "Learn more", you are then taken to a page listing their "reasons" for being so selfish, at the top of the page, there is the search bar - simply type in whatever it is you want to look at and as soon as the normal article loads, press the "stop" button on your browser and the blackout screen wont reappear.

You apparently can also use adblock plus and disable _javascript. Saw it already on reddit.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by staticarium

The way you worded that, makes it look like you think that wiki are being selfish for this protest, I hope I've read that wrong.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic

The way you worded that, makes it look like you think that wiki are being selfish for this protest, I hope I've read that wrong.

Wikipedia are denying access to an important resource used by English speaking people around the world, simply because of an American legislation. That is not fair.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I have joined in the protest by blocking out my wordpress blog.

Anyone that has a wordpress account can do the same.
A great way to get the message out.

Stop the Government from censoring the Internet.

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

I'm sorry, sir, you fundamentally misunderstand this.

THIS LEGISLATION WOULD FORCE WIKIPEDIA TO NOT SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT CORPORATIONS, GOVERNMENTS OR PEOPLE for fear of being sued or having their website blocked! It would end Wikipedia's open editing policy forever!

It would COMPLETELY DESTROY THE ENTIRE INTERNET. Don't you understand how important this is? I certainly don't care about your goddamn momentary inconvenience.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Wikipedia are denying access to an important resource used by English speaking people around the world, simply because of an American legislation. That is not fair.

They'd like everyone who regularly uses their free service to know that governments are beginning their attempts to infringe on freedom of speech on the internet.

If anyone is being selfish, it's you - the one complaining that they can't read any Wikipedia articles for an ENTIRE 24 hours!! How dare they deny you their free website for a whole day - you should sue
edit on 18-1-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

But they're not.. and believe me, a lot of non-us ppl will be affected by the legislation.

Wiki is still accessible.. just makes it, imo, redundant.

You want to make an impact, deny access. THEN people will listen.. it's like me saying I wont post again for 24 hours if I don't like mininova being taken down. No one will actually care, as I'm not important enough.

Though, I dare say people will like my idea -- sorry folks. I'm already banned by google, I needed my secret party gmail account to invite myself back.. lol.. and now I will rule the inter.. wait, what was I saying about important? Oh yeah...

lol

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by zanysami

THIS LEGISLATION WOULD FORCE WIKIPEDIA TO NOT SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT CORPORATIONS, GOVERNMENTS OR PEOPLE for fear of being sued or having their website blocked! It would end Wikipedia's open editing policy forever!

It would COMPLETELY DESTROY THE ENTIRE INTERNET. Don't you understand how important this is? I certainly don't care about your goddamn momentary inconvenience.

There is no inconvenience as I have defeated it, and will be teaching everyone who needs to know how to

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking

They'd like everyone who regularly uses their free service to know that governments are beginning their attempts to infringe on freedom of speech on the internet.

If anyone is being selfish, it's you - the one complaining that they can't read any Wikipedia articles for an ENTIRE 24 hours!! How dare they deny you their free website for a whole day - you should sue

Then it is down to you people to stop your government, do NOT punish the entire world because you are inept at keeping your government in check.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

awww diddums

Do you not think that trying to help raise awareness of a draconian legislation, which will kill the internet as we know it, is worth sacrificing 1 solitary day of usage? Or would you rather that people remained ignorant to the fact that scumbags in goverment, who don't even know how to use the internet, get to dictate how we use it? And if you couple these backward legislation, with the patriot act and the NDAA, then you've got a very dangerour situation, where anyone who speaks out about goverments and their wrong doing, can be illegally detained indefinatly, with no trial. Is this the world you want to live in?

I wouldn't complain if the whole web was closed for a day. Just a big "screw you SOPA/PIPA ect" when you try to log on.
edit on 18/1/2012 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by zanysami

There is no inconvenience as I have defeated it, and will be teaching everyone who needs to know how to

Isn't he talking about the legislation, and not the self imposed blackout?

The legislation is redundantly scary and opens a slew of further obligated infringements to all US based websites.

As it is, a self imposed blackout is in protest.

not a government supported concept, which you choose to avoid.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
IMO the only blackout that needs to happen is if google temporarily disables searches for a day. I'm sure a day truly without google would get the masses attention and tons of media attention.

Blocking out a logo and pointing to a petition just doesn't seem like enough. Would be nice if google posted all about NDAA and other laws stripping rights away. Toe is in the water, why not immerse the whole body and get it over with.

Really get the message out there that the lawmakers are not looking out for the best interests of the people.

People will probably see the logo, spend a half second thinking about it, then back to googling about the Kardashians.

God I hate people who think they are famous and get treated as such for doing nothing but living and breathing.

/end rant

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking

Then it is down to you people to stop your government, do NOT punish the entire world because you are inept at keeping your government in check.

I'd agree with you if it were the case tehy as every citizen of earth, we PAID wiki for their info.

They have every right to shut up shop for 24 hours in protest. But they didnt. It's smoke and mirrors. It will confabulate the average user, but those of us who actually use the internet and not just twitter, know how to avoid it.

It's waving a placard, that is all. Real protest would be shutting down the server for 24 hours. A blockade.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by cconn487

Google know they will have revenue on every day of the year, despite this legislation. They don't give a damn.

Not since they were bought out anyway.

edit on 18-1-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Grow up and stop talking to us about fair! Wiki was made by 2 men in the USA if there company is in danger, they have every right to do as they damn well please with it. And like others have said its the same wiki you use so the world will be affected by this and so much more of what's taking/going to be taking place soon. The nerve on some people.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join