It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Quietly Joins the Protest against SOPA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
So, I just went to visit google, and it appears that they too have joined the protest, albeit this was quiet but everyone will know soon enough.

Edit to Add: Google is not blocking the search functionality, they've just blacked out their logo. They've also added the feature to Tell Congress:

Don't forget to Tell Congress: Please don't censor the web!

edit on 1/17/2012 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/17/2012 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Apparently I missed the news earlier today: Politico Covered this...

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

Well google knows that the "fabric of the internet" could be broken"

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
its working fine for me, try going outside the U.S. through a proxy and then back into the U.S., i think its an internal splash screen your seeing for the guys within the U.S.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Still the normal home screen in Canada. It's still before Midnight here though. Maybe they will just do the US home page with it since (presently) it's just a US government bid to elicit more ridiculous power over the people.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Google works absolutely fine. Been using it all night. They are just protesting by blocking out their logo....however, I still have the logo on my personalized page.

Again, Google is still 100% functional....

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Thanks for pointing that out, Leo. I've edited the OP to include this information. The Politico article I linked above in the 2nd post mentions this.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Google voiced their concerns about SOPA months ago, not quietly at all.

SOPA: Google Warns Lawmakers That Online Piracy Bill Could Depress Investment

Google, Yahoo! Inc, Facebook, Twitter, eBay Inc and other Internet companies ran full-page advertisements in major newspapers on Wednesday, urging lawmakers to rethink their approach.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

Wellllllll, it's nice to see Google join in--in however small a way.

Nice that they can stoop toward something patriotic, for a change.

The laws are outrageous and need to be trashed along with those who wrote them, imho.

Traitors, all.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
WIKI works just fine.......................

Stop Online Piracy Act

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Google Fails at Protesting.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Fantastic... Craigslist is in on it now. They even provide a list of ways to protest.
CL - About SOPA

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TomServo

Interesting!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Not for me...After clicking your link. Once I navigate to another page the Imagine a world without knowledge comes up. After navigating to another page the Imagine a world without knowledge comes up again.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Corporate supporters of Senate 968 (PIPA) and HR 3261 (SOPA) demand the ability to take down any web site (including craigslist, Wikipedia, or Google) that hurts their profits -- without prior judicial oversight or due process -- in the name of combating "online piracy."

Source

WoW according to this if the bill "Stop Online Piracy Act" (SOPA) is passed then certain corporations and entities will have the power to take any website including Google its-self down without the courts first ruling on it and without any due process. This is a fundamental violation of our constitutional right of due process.

I look at this as those politicians taking yet another shot at us. Are we going to just stand here and let them take shot after shot? Look at the sucker punch they pulled on us soon after 9/11 the "Patriot Act".

I think it is absurd that they would have the audacity to even try something like this. Are they going to just keep trying to pass these and pass these until finally the citizens get tired of keeping track of them and one finally passes?

This is very unsettling, because I know the government can only back us up into the corner so far before we react violently and this can and should be solved well before that happens. But the thing is I see the American people in general backing up into that corner and the only outcome after they reach that corner is violence or submission, and I don't see even the sheeple being submitted totally, even they have a point of "wakening". But that's the thing, it appears to me that the sheeple will not awake until they get backed up into that tight spot.

Then they will have that choice of violence or submission, they will probably choose violence (hopefully) but violence can be avoided if they act now instead. I sure hope they wake up before its too late although somehow I doubt they will.

-Alien

edit on 1/18/2012 by Alien Abduct because: error correction

edit on 1/18/2012 by Alien Abduct because: ummm another correction =)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Posted in error.
edit on Wed Jan 18 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewsDoom
Google Fails at Protesting.

I have no love for Google, having been a victim of their corporate mafia. I thought "how ironic" when they went whining to the NSA when they were hacked by China. But in the end, I dob't approve of hacking anyone, including Google. Ad to it state actors and one does not need not be a genius to know this is dangerous. But as far as copyright laws on the net are concerned, if people who create "a product" are going to be robbed blind by pirate's what's the point in creating anything? The net has as it's greatest advantage the free exchange of ideas. It needs some kind of structure threw which creative people can justly by way of ownership and be compensated for their work and not have it stolen out from under them.

And her's our problem. The internet by its nature allows even encourages what was once called plagiarism. Perhaps trying to paste the old laws to a new technology is futile. You need to adapt the technology to apply new laws that acknowledge the times are constantly changing. Evolve or die.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Of course they will, they are abusing privacy for like forever.

My names are still indexed. A guy wrote some disgusting posts on an anonymous message board signing his posts with my full name. And the guys at Google refuse to remove those insulting links. I can't even sue them currently.
That being said, SOPA needs a lot of reworking.
edit on 18-1-2012 by happy2003 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
posted in error...this thread is open......

Please forgive me, I'm lost.

Is my thread open or closed? Posts are coming in.

Also, I did use the search engine. You will see that my thread was started a full nine hours prior to the thread you referenced above.

Sorry for the off topic post but I'm curious.
edit on 1/18/2012 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Jan 18 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join