It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House to take up Stop Online Piracy Act in February

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

House to take up Stop Online Piracy Act in February

www.rawstory.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The House of Representatives will resume work next month on a controversial bill aimed at stopping online piracy of movies, music and other content, a leading lawmaker said on Tuesday.

The anti-piracy legislation has been a top priority for entertainment companies, publishers, pharmaceutical firms and others, who say it is critical to curbing online piracy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
SOPA Halted in the House Fight over bills now turns to Senate
Wikipedia to go dark Wednesday in protest against SOPA, PIPA
Reddit Announces Blackout to Protest SOPA
Boycott SOPA: An Android app that terrifies publishers and politicians

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Gosh dang it. First it's on. Then the House says SOPA is off the table. Now it's ON again. In February. These people - I told you - know their cryonics and defib. Put it on ice they said. Shelve it they said. Liars. All that money lining their pockets from those who want to control and profit off the internet means they intend to see this through.

The American people and indeed, the world, should not have to indefinitely fight bogus, flawed, wrong, misguided, legislation. There appears no end to this madness.

SOPA - it's on.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 17-1-2012 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
My friends shut down
their website today - they said
they would see what happens
with this before returning. And
here I was telling them its not
going thru - until I read this I
thought that was true - guess
not, what a shame.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Pasting in some relevant parts of the article since Raw Story is participating in the blackout tomorrow. Thank you Raw Story.

It's Mr. Smith going to Washington again...

Representative Lamar Smith, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, said the proposed Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) was needed to protect American businesses from intellectual property theft, and that legislation would move forward.

“Due to the Republican and Democratic retreats taking place over the next two weeks, markup of the Stop Online Piracy Act is expected to resume in February,” added Smith, a Texas Republican. “I am committed to continuing to work with my colleagues in the House and Senate to send a bipartisan bill to the White House.”

Story source

Reminder about Mr. Smith:

Lamar Smith, SOPA Author, Caught Red-Handed Infringing Copyright

CONgress is pulling bigger hoaxes than I have ever seen on ATS.

edit on 17-1-2012 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
People, please tell your legislators how you feel. They are doing this because they are being lobbied and don't understand the implications, plus the fact they are politicians.

Don't complain if it passes and you didn't lift a finger to stop it.

I am so sick of watching our liberties disappearing like a junkie stealing from his mom.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
People, please tell your legislators how you feel. They are doing this because they are being lobbied and don't understand the implications, plus the fact they are politicians.

Don't complain if it passes and you didn't lift a finger to stop it.

I am so sick of watching our liberties disappearing like a junkie stealing from his mom.

shameless bump for importence,
star and flag

they will ram sopa down our throats

xploder

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
My own representatives support this BS. Apparently they're torn between Hollywood (who generally support it) and Silicon Valley (who generally oppose it). It must be very hard for them, having to take all the favors and money from both sides and then support one favorite uncle over the other. (Poor things; their poor little rich palates must be so jaded from all the caviar they have to eat.)

But the long and the short of it is that the RIAA/MPAA have a wish-list, and they are not going to be denied. If they have to water it down a little to make it palatable to the White House, they'll eventually do it. Or not. If they can buy enough support to make it veto-proof, they'll do that...

edit on 1/17/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Did you know: Former Sen. Chris Dodd is the CEO of the Motion Picture Association of America, the film industry’s largest lobby, and he is mad that you are mad about SOPA. The revolving door between CONgress and lobbyist's offices seems to be working fine (for them.)

Former Senator Dodd says:

“A so-called ‘blackout’ is yet another gimmick, albeit a dangerous one, designed to punish elected and administration officials who are working diligently to protect American jobs from foreign criminals,” Dodd added. “It is our hope that the White House and the Congress will call on those who intend to stage this ‘blackout’ to stop the hyperbole and PR stunts and engage in meaningful efforts to combat piracy.”

Story

No wonder SOPA is back on the table. The revolving door landed Dodd in the cushy driver's seat of the MPAA. Bet he's making serious bank now, and oh look, he's still trying to make laws too.

Sorry former Sen. Dodd, SOPA is the gimmick in this scenario and a dangerous one too. You think we are protesting SOPA to punish officials?
No. Mr. Dodd, people and business are actually protesting because SOPA sucks. What is a gimmick is for the House to say SOPA is off the table and then 24 hours later say it's back on.

Facing a competitive reelection bid for his Senate seat in 2010 and trailing against both of his likely Republican challengers in public opinion polling,[9] Dodd announced in January 2010 that he would not seek re-election for a sixth term in the Senate. Polls of Connecticut voters in 2008 and 2009 had consistently suggested Dodd would have difficulty winning re-election, with 46% viewing his job performance as fair or poor and a majority stating they would vote to replace Dodd in the 2010 election.[10] ] Dodd was succeeded by Richard Blumenthal. On March 1, 2011, the Motion Picture Association of America announced that Dodd will head that organization. [3]

Wikipedia link - sign their petition against SOPA/PIPA on your way through

Scrub SOPA
Send PIPA packing.

edit on 18-1-2012 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

top topics

join