It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alternative Physics Theories - book suggestions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I apologize for not contributing much in the way of substance myself with my first thread, however, I searched for a similar thread and could not find it. So, to my query.

I am educated in the sciences (BS Biology) and have spent the past ten years as a chemist of some form or another (mostly organics, but biochemistry now). All that said, I have a good foundation in the sciences and even remember a bit from my college physics class. Unfortunately I was too busy then thinking about beer and girls to wrap my head around how utterly important physics is. I used to give the "root of all science" title to chemistry, thinking that chemistry was the description of nature at its most reduced. While all I thought of physics was that it was a tool to figure out why things moved in a certain direction and how many newtons it takes to move a box up an incline! Youthful naivety at its best

Moving on, I have recently become very interested in physics, quantum mechanics, astrophysics and cosmology. It is my belief that our current theories are inadequate in explaining and predicting what can and does happen around us. So I want to explore what is known, what is well explained and what observations are not in agreement with theory. I thought about starting this journey by going through some free online courses (there are a few full courses available from some esteemed universities). But, I do not feel like this would be the best use of time, since I would imagine they will be heavily pushing currently accepted mainstream theories and ideas as much closer to fact than maybe ought to be. In other words, it is my feeling that such a resource would not spend the time I would like on reasons why the theories don't work, and instead sort of sidestep those issues. What I want is a resource that delves into both worlds, showing both instances of a given theory working quite well and instances in which it falls flat. As well as presenting alternative theories that may explain some of the things unexplainable by current science.

I really have no idea where to start, but want to get off the internet for awhile and into books. When I search and research this stuff online the info comes in tight little packets, is rarely expanded upon and is also pockmarked with some outlandish claims and disinformation. I am hoping that some of you may have ventured this path in the past and have some suggestions on where to go from here. I realize that what I am looking for will not be contained within one book, but several, and will take some synthesis on my part...but that is the idea!

cheers

edit on 17-1-2012 by UdonNiedtuno because: clarify

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by UdonNiedtuno

There is currently no University or Physicist capable of the Mental Aspects and abilities of understanding the connection between the Macro and the Quantum worlds.

This does not mean than we do not have...examples of...items capable of displaying this interconnectivity.
Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Hi UdonNiedtuno.

I'll admit I haven't read much into it myself as I'm not keeping up with my Kindle well, but I'm very interested in some of the ideas Joseph P. Farrell has toyed around with, listening to some of his interviews on various podcasts. He's into some 'pseudoscience' material and has some interesting views on alternate physics models and historical interpretation.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Are you familiar with Nassim Haramein? I don't know if he has a book but he has some intriguing perspectives in a few of those fields.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Brian greene's the elegant universe was a good read . Talks about classical physics quantum and string theroy
edit on 17/1/12 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Hi there, I liked "the field" by Lynne McTaggart. It gets into everything from old school Michelson&Morley aether stuff and non accepted Lorentz transformations to Ingo Swann remote viewing and actual action at a distance experiments. Other than that I have like "The Quantum and the lotus" which mixes new science with classic buddhism. Another more mind exercise orientated was "The Motion Paradox" by Joseph Mazur, it grapples with time segments reality of motion from "zenos paradox"

Not to sure if this was what you were looking for but it seemed like they were good transitional books into theories of the universe without being too math heavy.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

The Alternative Cosmology Group offers a forum for scientists who challenge the mainstream of physics.

I have my own Fractal Foam Model of Universes, which explains how analog phenomena at one scale produce quantum phenomena at another scale. If the universe is truly fractal, it must alternate between analog scales and quantum scales. I refer to "our universe" as what lies between the Planck scale and the cosmic scale.

I believe there is an analog scale below the scale at which we see quantum phenomena. That smaller scale is a chaotic mix of aethereal shear waves and aethereal pressure waves, which exchange momentum with one another, resulting in forces of attraction and repulsion between shear waves. Each species of particle is a strange attractor, combining pairs or groups of shear waves according to very specific recipes. Particles which don't fit one of the recipes are extremely short lived, so we don't know they exist.

The big picture is that the aether foam of our universe is the cosmic foam of a sub-universe, and the the cosmic foam of our universe is the aether foam of a super-universe. A cosmic-foam bubble is a huge void surrounded by walls of galaxies, having a median size perhaps 10^24 m across. A median size aether-foam bubble is perhaps a Planck length (1.6 x 10-35 m) across. So super-universe particles must be roughly 10^59 times larger than the comparable particles in our universe. A cubic meter of our aether might contain googols of sub-universe galaxies.

As our space expands, the bubbles of our cosmic foam grow, stretching the walls of galaxies that surround them. I believe those walls of galaxies are held together by poorly understood forces which have tensile limits. Ultimately, the stretching causes a wall of galaxies to rupture, removing the boundary between two bubbles, and radiating pressure waves thru the cosmic foam. Those pressure waves are the dark energy of the super-universe. The same thing happens in the sub-universe, supplying the dark energy of our universe.

Removing the boundary between two bubbles reduces the total number of bubbles by one. If space can be measured in aether-foam bubbles (about 2.4 x 10^104 bubbles per cubic meter), then the expansion of space requires un-popping bubbles. Therefore, the arrow of time reverses from one universe to the next. The pressure waves which are our dark energy must converge to a point where a new bubble wall appears, adding one Planck volume (4 x 10 ^-105 m^3) of new space to our universe. This must occur about 2 x 10^87 times per second per cubic meter.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

There are two sayings that are equally true.

One theorist can keep a thousand experimentalists busy.

One experimentalist can keep a thousand theorists busy.

Honestly - the best book I can recommend is a collection of sci-fi short stories (about 20-30 pages a piece). It's called "Engineering Infinity." www.amazon.com...

There are many different stories with a wide base in sci-fi and the physics (both real and theoretical) they draw upon. Each story is accompanied with a particularly relevant quote from notable figures in the history of physics and scientific discovery.

No - the physics are not elaborated upon or put into defined mathematics. In many cases - the physics are not really even 'alternative.' I think it's important to stretch the imagination with what is possible in the known and defined as well as the unknown and undefined.

A particularly relevant 'quote' (if the author is unknown) to this conversation is this: "Reality is that part of the imagination we all agree upon."

Some particularly interesting quotes pertaining to physics come from Bohr: en.wikiquote.org...

Physics is to be regarded not so much as the study of something a priori given, but rather as the development of methods of ordering and surveying human experience. In this respect our task must be to account for such experience in a manner independent of individual subjective judgement and therefor objective in the sense that it can be unambiguously communicated in ordinary human language.

- Bohr.

The more I read the quotations of the "founding figures" of physics (Einstein, Bohr, Heisenberg, Planck, etc) - the more I begin to realize how indoctrinated the education system and the communication of theories has become.

I would suggest reading about the founding members of the theories that became part of today's Standard Model. It, really, exposes how much slack there is in the premise of each theory.

Isolated material particles are abstractions, their properties being definable and observable only through their interaction with other systems.
"Atomic Physics and the Description of Nature" (1934)

Another Bohr quote.

How wonderful that we have met with a paradox. Now we have some hope of making progress.
As quoted in Niels Bohr : The Man, His Science, & the World They Changed (1966) by Ruth Moore, p. 196

And another. This guy and I would have enjoyed hanging out. There's nothing I love more than a paradox.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by UdonNiedtuno
I have recently become very interested in physics, quantum mechanics, astrophysics and cosmology. It is my belief that our current theories are inadequate in explaining and predicting what can and does happen around us. So I want to explore what is known, what is well explained and what observations are not in agreement with theory. I thought about starting this journey by going through some free online courses (there are a few full courses available from some esteemed universities). But, I do not feel like this would be the best use of time, since I would imagine they will be heavily pushing currently accepted mainstream theories and ideas as much closer to fact than maybe ought to be.
One must certainly question your logic in the quoted statements:

"It is my belief that our current theories are inadequate..." when by your own admission, you don't have a good understanding of current theories. If you don't have a solid understanding of the current theories and the evidence supporting them, on what basis do you have a belief that they are inadequate? If you are thinking of all the unsolved problems in physics, this does clearly demonstrate that our knowledge of physics is quote incomplete. However this is a different matter than saying our current theories are inadequate. Many existing theories make extremely accurate predictions so they at least have that much going for them.

My recommendation would be to first learn what the current theories are, and what the evidence is that supports them...then re-assess your belief about their adequacy.

Someone suggested studying Nassim Haramein. He makes a big deal out of the unsolved problems in physics. The problem you will find when you get into alternate theories such as his is, he can't solve the unsolved problems in physics weither, and what's worse, when you look for evidence to support his alternate theory, there is far less evidence than there is evidence in support of mainstream theories, and in fact evidence contradicts his theories and he seems to ignore that except to say that someday he will publish an explanation about this.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

One must question the logic of all statements I suppose, so thanks. To clarify a bit, when I state my belief that current theories are inadequate I think of entanglement, of spontaneous particle appearance/disappearance in a vacuum, of evidence of a dipole universe, etc. I have not yet heard any explanation of how the big bang theory deals with evidence that atomic forces may not be constant within in the universe.

So in my opinion, even without a very good understanding of the current theories it does not seem illogical to posit that they may be inadequate. I definitely don't think it is wise to dive in under the assumption that the current models are the best we can do, I would guess even Einstein would call that a mistake.

ETA: Arbitrageur, if you have suggestions on books that explain the current theories in terms a biologist could understand I would be interested.
edit on 18-1-2012 by UdonNiedtuno because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Sorry I can't help you as there are no courses anywhere on the work of Tesla that is indeed
necessary for understanding the environment and even to understated how solids exist.
The Quantum Atom is perhaps the best instance of how K Capture works as a free energy
source but is completely wasted by the leaders who control our 99% education and keep
what Tesla found to themselves and hold up Einstein especially in the existence of 50 times
the speed of light particles giving us no lead into the world of free energy.
ED: Any amount of money and stories to occupy false ideas is worth the cost for those
at the profit centers.
edit on 1/18/2012 by TeslaandLyne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I recommend Why God Doesn't Exist by Bill Gaede. The title is misleading; the book is not about God. Gaede objects to over-reliance on mathematical physics, which he views as functioning as a religion in mainstream science at the present time. He offers an original model for light and gravity.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne

Sorry I can't help you as there are no courses anywhere on the work of Tesla that is indeed
necessary for understanding the environment and even to understated how solids exist.

So is there a book on it? If it is "necessary for understanding the environment", you must have found this knowledge somewhere, otherwise you would have no idea if it was necessary or not. Where did you learn about it? I am very interested in learning more about Tesla. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

A word of caution: Take Tesla enthusiasts with a grain of salt.

The man made many wonderful discoveries that really have not been fully realized/utilized to this day. That said... he was senile, especially after he began experiencing financial problems and began making exaggerated claims.

There are plenty of books about Tesla. Again - I would start with some good books about the man before you start to get too deep into some of the theories he had (or the ones people make up and attribute to him).

He is, unfortunately, one of the more obscure figures in the history of electronics; yet he had an indirect (if not direct) influence on many of today's staple electronic technologies. Which has elevated him to the status of a deity among fringe elements.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

Point taken, however, history has proven that money and authority have reason and impetus to keep important information from commoners. Thus, I entertain that Tesla may not have been as senile as he was made to be (you can take that how you will) and that some of the things the "fringe" attributes to him may actually be true.

I also don't discount that he may really have gone mad, he was obviously a genius, and they tend to go mad at a higher rate than most. But thanks for the heads up nonetheless.

edit on 18-1-2012 by UdonNiedtuno because: grammar

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by UdonNiedtuno

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne

So is there a book on it? If it is "necessary for understanding the environment", you must have found this knowledge somewhere, otherwise you would have no idea if it was necessary or not. Where did you learn about it? I am very interested in learning more about Tesla. Thanks.

The environment of gases if you will.
Read the 1892 Lecture that seems to be the popular reading for fine matter reactions
to electrical processes.
search.lycos.com...
www.barnesandnoble.com...
that looks like it
search.lycos.com...
that was a better search
Ordering online might be faster because the store had to order it.
What is more of the environment in which we live than the fine matter of electrical nature.
Is it physics.
Or alternative physics.
No one talks about Tesla but there is a lot to talk about.
It might be the 50x the speed of light particles Tesla found that people can stand.
The 50X SOL particles is the norm and not alternative.
So its a whole new world.
The 50x SOL in found in a document here:
www.tesla.hu...
More environmental studies online Tesla announced though out his life.
Some people like 1% in the world might have understood.
There is not a all in one book combining the work of Tesla except for the Lyne
books helped in some respect. But perhaps some day the world will be allowed
and not prevented by anti Tesla cartel agents.
search.lycos.com...
Filled with extraneous conspiracy theories perhaps.
ED: If the 50x SOL particles are taken away from the environment,
what does that mean? Can you think of the source of these particles?
There is a very important impact on the 99%.

edit on 1/20/2012 by TeslaandLyne because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join