It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Stigma of Death

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Good point.

But why should the unknown be resisted, rather than embraced?
Anything we resist in life, is ultimately tied to our resistance of death.

Are people afraid of flying, or afraid of crashing?

So why resist death itself? Why not naturally embrace it?
The opposite of fear would have to be love. Couldn't that be just as natural?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

Maybe I just have an over active mind.

It aint easy being me

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by blackmirage0311

I don't know how we may ever know everything the possibilities of everything are never ending , you asked after death if we may know nothing or everything ? your assuming it has to be all or nothing, when certainly the only form of awareness we know of now, we are not given all information or no information... but instead a small window into possibility in one of its infinite forms.

I think of the universe as an energetic computer, that is computing infinity, all the questions we may have asked, are the questions to why it is doing what it is doing, to prove it possible... concepts such as good, and love, and family, and viewing of sunset, emotion, how can this be expressed and felt by inanimate matter? so this is all speculation but i believe perhaps after we die, what is referred to as the soul or spirit, is really just the subtle software memory of the hardware physical body, and perhaps it does reconcile with the motherboard, and is lead on its next journey through eternity... i also think anything we can want to do, or urge to do such as the creation of computers, is only a primitive mimicking of the ultimate and absolute system of all creation, like fractals, ripples, ya dig?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

I believe the opposite of fear is acceptance...

Which is the best attitude towards death... Theres no way to avoid it, so what is the point of fearing something that is inevitable

Accept it, we all owe a death...

Though death is only the beginning....

Movie quote Ftw!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi

I don't know how we may ever know everything the possibilities of everything are never ending , you asked after death if we may know nothing or everything ? your assuming it has to be all or nothing, when certainly the only form of awareness we know of now, we are not given all information or no information... but instead a small window into possibility in one of its infinite forms.

I think of the universe as an energetic computer, that is computing infinity, all the questions we may have asked, are the questions to why it is doing what it is doing, to prove it possible... concepts such as good, and love, and family, and viewing of sunset, emotion, how can this be expressed and felt by inanimate matter? so this is all speculation but i believe perhaps after we die, what is referred to as the soul or spirit, is really just the subtle software memory of the hardware physical body, and perhaps it does reconcile with the motherboard, and is lead on its next journey through eternity... i also think anything we can want to do, or urge to do such as the creation of computers, is only a primitive mimicking of the ultimate and absolute system of all creation, like fractals, ripples, ya dig?

That last sentence is exactly what I have thought but I couldn't figure out how to put it into words. This brings me back to my "fungi eating" days

That was a great response. Do you have any other theories along these lines? I enjoy hearing other's opinions on this.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackmirage0311
Maybe I just have an over active mind.

It aint easy being me

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Perhaps part of the stigma associated with death is a reflection of the different ways one could leave this earthly realm. Was it a peaceful death? A painful demise? A lonely one? Will we be be surrounded by those we cherish most in this world?

Many variables come into play.

The best that one can hope for is a peaceful death and a life well-lived.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

Well it is and it isn't.

I can't ask these types of questions to people in real life because I tend to get over simplified answers. This is the first time I've ever gotten the type of answers I was looking for. You guys seem to "get" what I'm saying.

But you may be right. It might not be death that we're afraid of, but how we're going to physically experience it as it relates to our 5 senses.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackmirage0311
reply to post by Screwed

Good point.

Anything we resist in life, is ultimately tied to our resistance of death.

Truer words were never spoken.

But why should the unknown be resisted, rather than embraced?
So why resist death itself? Why not naturally embrace it?
The opposite of fear would have to be love. Couldn't that be just as natural?

yes and "love" is really just another word for "embrace".

So we resist or "fear"
or
we "love" or embrace/accept.

Now, what if we fear death because of our genetic programming.
What better way to enslave a race of sentient beings and make sure that your new subjects don't just "off themselves" and say "HEY, to hell with this # man,......I'm outta here"!!!!!!

Incode into their programming to resist the unknown rather than love/embrace the unknown as they were doing.

The answer to your question is a very deep and fundamental one which would take getting to the very VERY bottom of this whole illusory existance and that is just a trip few people are willing to make.
edit on 18-1-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Physical death is not nice, so slaughterhouses, war - all those things are kept from most people today.

No school will take kids to a morgue for career day, for example.

In the Western world I've heard that most people don't encounter much death in their 20's and 30's, until their parents start dying, and then they start considering euthanasia and funerals.

But I'd agree with the poet Dylan Thomas when he wrote "Do not go gentle into that dark night".
www.rjgeib.com...
We must rage against the dying of the light.
Whatever awaits in uncertainty; this is the life we know, and we should treasure every breath.

So death is also a material defeat.
But it was a battle well fought, and the defeat was inevitable.

So stigma happens through denial, and thinking that by pushing something out of social and biological reality, we can avoid it.
edit on 18-1-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

It's very fundamental. I guess what I'm trying to do is figure out our "natural" emotions as a species. Fear had to have been encoded firstly by our will to survive. If you didn't fear death, you couldn't live and raise offspring. Love had to be the other, otherwise you couldn't care for your offspring. Every other emotion seems to stem from both fear and love.( I'm typing as I'm thinking so bare with me here if this is a mess.) But that still leaves the question, why does death = bad? Basically we're left with dead = bad because you can't continue reproducing. But reproduction was important because a certain value was given to life.

I'm still stuck with wondering why a continuation of our species is valuable. Why a will to survive at all? Where does this will to experience come from?

Just how far does the rabbit hole go?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Great questions and ones I have personally come to peace with by settling on the only answer that makes any sense......TO ME.

Engrained DEEP within our genetic code is the fear of the unknown.
It was not always like this for us.
We were tampered with by others who did not have our best intrests at heart and sought to enslave us.

Before this, death was most likely an event that would have been celebrated, as it marked the evolution and a reunion of a soul to its source. No one feared it and some may have sought it out through sheer impatience.
It must have been quite a time to ....be alive.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

because if you think anything swell about this world and your abilities within it,, death means you may NEVER experience this world again, for some rats or men that may be a fine thing, but for some this life is an opportunity to establish greatness, to create originality, to find another separate from your being, but that perfectly fills in any void, to create your offspring, you are given the chance to be an original creator. there has never been another one like you, and there never will be, you are a unique expression of the infinite, everything the universe cannot be in this moment.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

You know, I've always had that theory in the back of my mind.

I guess I have ignored it because it opens up a whole #load more questions for me

Basically it opens up a lot of the same questions I have for humans

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
also this is important! if the earliest human ancestors were all in one area and decided to embrace death together, nothing human following that point would have ever occurred, the link or chain of ancestry, family tree, has not been dropped by our species since we started.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
you are driven through life by the things you are "fear"ful of missing out on..

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

So if we are in a sense, a creator, and computers are a fractal representation of the whole picture. Does this mean we are a first hand physical experience of the evolution of the universe, in a sense? Is our objective to create a computer that can simulate reality as well as the one we are experiencing, so on and so forth, for ever?

I hope that makes sense to you.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Funny, I have asked myself that same question many times.
I think this is exactly the point.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

hmm it makes sense, i dont think we have to do anything, like i said before there are rules or laws, but there will be consequences from all of our actions, and we dont know for sure whats behind door number death.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Life is such a mind#

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
It could be that the genius creators of universes were so bored with their existence of accomplishing anything at command they desiree simple and rustic environments such as jungle of planet earth.

we have to ask ourselves what we wish to accomplish and why?

progression technologically is just opening another door, a path, an adventure of possibility, who knows what the human race will learn and find when and if they are capable of long distance space travel, im under the impression that everything we don't know about, exists... somewhere some how.. how could it not, the majesty of it all can not be comprehendible,

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join