It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Mitt Romney only pays 15% tax, wishes Americans could pay this much

page: 2
8
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB
 


Translation: I umm.. don't want to because... eh.... I don't think you would like what you saw and um..... if you umm.... saw them... .then I would loose too many votes and umm.... I don't want to do that.... but I'll look into it...




posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by MeesterB
 


Translation: I umm.. don't want to because... eh.... I don't think you would like what you saw and um..... if you umm.... saw them... .then I would loose too many votes and umm.... I don't want to do that.... but I'll look into it...


That and THIS...

ABC News..
Romney Parks Millions in Offshore Tax Haven
abcnews.go.com...



posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms
Where are the foam in the mouth conservatives ready to throw the "60% of bottom feeders pay NO TAXES!!" line? Maybe instead of concentrating on poor people that have nothing they should concentrate on the Mitt Romneys that have orgasims firing and outsourcing their jobs to Mexico and China.


Maybe the "60% bottom feeders" should stop being bottom feeders.....I paid around 28% last year with little write offs, so I think I can be one of the ones that complain, but I don't see it as so many others do. All I know is it is more of a mass thing in if the masses paid just a little it outweighs the lots of the few.



posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero
 


Working class and lower middle class do in fact pay taxes. They pay wage taxes and are subjected to sales taxes just like everyone else. Difference is that the wage taxes and sales taxes take up more of their buying power and ability to pay for life's necessities when compared to the rich.

The misconception that working class and lower middle class do not pay taxes is bogus and an outright lie. Their taxes also go towards paying for "entitlements" too, contrary to what some believe.

Income taxes are another thing altogether, but it seems the only ones screwed are the upper middle class when it comes to income taxes. The rich (defined in this case as 2 million or more annually aka the Mitt Romney's) pay a smaller tax rate on captial gains and use off shore accounts which help off set total net worth.
edit on 19-1-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-1-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
Yea, that's obvious, thanks captain. Except 15% of "not a lot" means you don't eat, 15% of "a lot" means you might have to sell one of your multimillion dollar houses


Here's another obvious for you
you can't eat?

Then upgrade your skills, find a better job, maybe move to another state
it's basic survival skills

I'm not saying there's millions of better paying jobs out there

But I am saying that I see way too many uneducated and unskilled people complaining

that doesn't mean that educated and skilled people can easily find jobs 100% of the time
But if you have nothing to offer then just stop complaining



posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

edit on 19-1-2012 by metalpr because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms


Working class and lower middle class do in fact pay taxes. They pay wage taxes and are subjected to sales taxes just like everyone else. Difference is that the wage taxes and sales taxes take up more of their buying power and ability to pay for life's necessities when compared to the rich.


Ok the rich pays 100x in sales tax and pay into SS and will never use it. Buying power or lack of is not the point.


The misconception that working class and lower middle class do not pay taxes is bogus and an outright lie. Their taxes also go towards paying for "entitlements" too, contrary to what some believe.

So we are talking income tax here..... AND who in the end will use entitlements?



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I am sure the way Romney has his thing set up is he has loopholes...Come on 250 million net worth?! 15%?....This dude is a crook, and expects people to vote for him? What is he going to do for the average American that pays twice that? Not a damn thing!...He is a slime ball, that inherited his riches from his father, and doesn't give his own pops credit...Scumbag



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
www.nytimes.com...




FLORENCE, S.C. — Under new pressure to release his tax returns, Mitt Romney on Tuesday acknowledged that he pays an effective tax rate of about 15 percent because so much of his fortune comes from past investments.


While he wished other Americans would pay this much, Romney who is worth 250 million is enjoying his comfortable rate of 15%. He probably made the money and now only makes the lowest bracket possible. I am not sure on the entire details. How would this look coming up in SC?


Okay. He makes money.
He uses the existing tax codes.

Class warfare much?

Why not stick to policy.

This hypocritical attack on Romney is pathetic! Here we are, debating HIS personal income while POTUDS still won't release his college transcripts.

Um, didn't see your thread demanding that. Mind posting a link?



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 


Question Beezzer why defend a homemade multi-millionaire? Simple question? You are a hard working American that put blood sweat and tears to make ends meet I am sure, so why defend a scumbag?



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
reply to post by beezzer
 


Question Beezzer why defend a homemade multi-millionaire? Simple question? You are a hard working American that put blood sweat and tears to make ends meet I am sure, so why defend a scumbag?


Because the amount of money someone has should not be an issue.

People used to admire success. Now it is reviled. Now it is called greed. One day I want to be that rich (not very likely) but I'll strive towards success.

We should concentrate on the issues. Not bank balances. Issues are what drives someone to make the decisions they make. Again, the hypocricy is astounding. No college transcipts on Obama, yet the media focuses on bank balances and works towards class warfare.

Hope this answered your question.

beez



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 


Then why get choked up about it when asked questions about his taxes? Wouldn't you think if nothing was wrong that his speech would be more fluid? He was like stuttering and stuck almost on every question that was asked about how much he pays like he had something to hide....I say that because I am someone that stutters, and I usually stutter when I have no confidence in what I am trying to say or when I lie...So yeah, I am trying to make that point...He is a politician, politicians are suppose to have immaculate speech skills....Sorry he is hiding something...Just my two cents...



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS
 
Good question. He should come clean about his taxes and income.

If he has done nothing wrong then he has nothing to hide.

It's all about perception. Right now, if he doesn't divulge his tax history, he's no better than Obama. And that is saying something. But to concentrate on wealth, is just poor form and sounds petulant.



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 


I am not trying to make it difficult on you beezzer I respect your status here on ATS, I just thought that had to be said, I am just saying he should be paying his fair share of taxes as well he isn't anyone special, and shouldn't be exempt from paying a little extra more...



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by RSF77
Yea, that's obvious, thanks captain. Except 15% of "not a lot" means you don't eat, 15% of "a lot" means you might have to sell one of your multimillion dollar houses


Here's another obvious for you
you can't eat?

Then upgrade your skills, find a better job, maybe move to another state
it's basic survival skills

I'm not saying there's millions of better paying jobs out there

But I am saying that I see way too many uneducated and unskilled people complaining

that doesn't mean that educated and skilled people can easily find jobs 100% of the time
But if you have nothing to offer then just stop complaining


Oh really? What should we do with these people then that don't want anymore out of life than a stable working job and nothing else? Let them starve and lose their homes or what?

What should we do with everyone who comes out of prison a felon and can't get a decent job no matter what kind of skills they have?

What is this crap your trying to tell me, it sounds like something Newt Gingrich and Herman Cain would say. Be realistic, not everyone wants to be in debt for a decade just so they can go to college and maybe get a decent paying job. And remember, when they get that decent paying job it shuts another person out of that same job as well. What you are saying is not realistic.

Not everyone can just get magically educated and skilled and a job is automatically provided for them. That is not how life works for everyone and you shouldn't tax these people harshly while giving breaks to people with 15 cars and millions of dollars in assets either.

Give me a break, you are completely oblivious to the fact that the working class is getting royally screwed or what? None of these business traders do any actual work, they "own" things and that is how they make their money, its sad and pathetic that someone can just own something and not have to work a day of their life for this nation. It was just handed to them and they use it to bend us all over.

You wreak of rich people propaganda.
edit on 20-1-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
reply to post by beezzer
 


I am not trying to make it difficult on you beezzer I respect your status here on ATS, I just thought that had to be said, I am just saying he should be paying his fair share of taxes as well he isn't anyone special, and shouldn't be exempt from paying a little extra more...


I'm no-one special here.


And if he is using the existing tax code and not cheating, then what is his "fair share"?

Many threads have been made debating what "fair share" is. If he's obeying the current law, then he IS paying his "fair share".

This goes back to Occupy and the general anger at the wealthy. But it is the people in DC that write the tax codes that people use.



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL
 


And if Ron Paul had his way...Romeny would pay even less...probably close to zero.

Because Ron Paul wants to reduce the capital gains tax to zero...which is where Romney makes all of his money today.

Straight from Ron Paul's website.

www.ronpaul2012.com...

Capital gains taxes, which punish you for success (and interfere with your efforts to hedge against inflation by purchasing gold and silver coins), should also be immediately repealed.



umm, yeah....

but if Ron Paul had his way, I wouldn't be paying any taxes either, and neither would you!

So what is the brilliant point you think you're making?






posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 


Well according to the website I have below there are different tax ranges. If he is only paying 15% which is the lowest, 35% percent being the highest which probably the average citizen has to pay, why can't he pay the 25%-28% and meet in the middle. Keep in mind this is someone who wants to be President. If you want the peoples vote then you have to be on the peoples level, and know how it feels first to pay more taxes instead of trying to lie your head off...

About.com



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
reply to post by beezzer
 


Well according to the website I have below there are different tax ranges. If he is only paying 15% which is the lowest, 35% percent being the highest which probably the average citizen has to pay, why can't he pay the 25%-28% and meet in the middle. Keep in mind this is someone who wants to be President. If you want the peoples vote then you have to be on the peoples level, and know how it feels first to pay more taxes instead of trying to lie your head off...

About.com


Who are you or I to determine how much he has to pay in taxes?

If he's not breaking the law, who bloody cares!

If he won't disclose his taxes? Well that's another issue.

But for how much he makes, where he banks, who gives a rats behind?!!



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

So we are talking income tax here..... AND who in the end will use entitlements?


Yes I specifically said income tax, but that doesn't stop some from saying the poor pay no taxes at all. It seems they need to learn the distinction between paying "no taxes" and "paying no income taxes", not I.

Doesn't matter who will most likely use "entitlements" (I have issues with that coded word) the point is EVERYONE that works (on the books) pays for entitlements. And if I pay for something for 20 years and one day I am in need of it for 4, 5 or 6 months then that means I have every right to receive them.

Here is an example of what I was saying in the previous post:


Most of the income of the middle class is earned income (e.g., wages, salary, bonuses and commissions). That income is subject to Social Security and Medicare taxes. In addition, it is taxed at the standard income-tax rates. For example, the maximum personal income-tax rate of 35%, which is designed to tax the very wealthy, is imposed on taxable income as low as $373,650 (in 2010). That is a high income but it hardly qualifies as “very wealthy.” On the other hand, the extremely wealthy receive most of their income from unearned income in the form of dividends and capital gains. Such income is taxed at a preferential maximum tax rate of only 15%--even with $100 million or $1 billion of annual income. That is very unfair. It is also unjustified and foolish. Why should unearned income be taxed at less than half of the rate on earned income? America envisions itself as a meritocracy (i.e., we reward merit). However, our current federal tax system primarily rewards wealth--not merit.


www.sensibletaxreform.org...



new topics

top topics



 
8
<< 1   >>

log in

join