It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Linux Sucks

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by kaleshchand

Yes linux sucks, I had to jump through hoops to make some needed software work, whereas in windows it would work out of the box.

You say Windows works "Right out of the box?" You mean of course when you BUY a PC with Windows on it everything works. Have you ever installed Windows on an empty hard drive? I have had virtual nightmares with a few computers, Dells come to mind here. I have taken to using a program called Device Doctor to get all of the drivers installed, and have a DVD that has 100,000 Windows drivers on it that helps sometimes. In any case, I have never installed Windows on any computer and had all hardware devices work "out of the box."

When I installed PCLinuxOS on my wife's Toshiba laptop everything DID in fact work "out of the box." Even the Realtec Wireless Wifi, all I had to do is type in the password for the connection. That was a year ago, she has not complained once that something didn't work.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

And that is exactly what you do not have with regards to your average home user because no one has successfully found a way to market Linux and Open Source solutions in an integrated package that works out of the box merely by plugging it in and also make a profit.

Really now? I think you are wrong! Oh, you can't walk into Walmart today and buy one, but you can buy one, and a top end PC too.
Here are just a few of the many Computer Companies that now ship with Linux installed, and yes, more to come. When America is known for Computer Manufacturing, those Made in USA PCs will have Open Source Operating systems on them.
System 76 Computer Systems
Ohava Computers
Penguin Systems
Los Alamos Computers
Blackstone Computers

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

It would be nice, But I keep my PC around mostly for basic surfing, downloading and media. I've gotten a few virus's but nothing I couldnt handle as of yet.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
...and the struggle continues

..and Linux don't suck. I do not care about market shares, nor about if my OS is ancient tech. It works for me, and it looks and feels good. I will not discuss about one being better that the other (Win vs Linux), since I believe both are good as much as both have there own share of problems.
It's the freedom of choice, witch I find to be a good thing. It is not about converting anyone into using the same OS as I do.

It was a good point mentioned above about the things a Nintendo Wii theoretically is capable of, yet not practically serves. I use a 3g USB 'dongle' modem, forcing me to install the default software for Windows to make it work, eating RAM and resources when plugged in to a Windows running box. No need with Linux. Automatic recognition as 3g modem, posting at ATS in 30 sec from plugging (in my distro of choice, that is).

No need to install software to be able to connect my cellphone with my computer to be able to share files or even use it as usb modem (tethering, in some cases illegal), but it works. If something does not work, it's very easy to fix, and in the process you might even learn a thing or two about how a computer works. Not necessary of course, but hasn't harmed me yet.
Also very good point about the usefulness of Live-Cd's. Countless photos and files, from countless different Windows machines saved, because of Windows not being able to start itself from a defected HD.

I am not speaking for anyone else but myself, as opposed to what the OP stated. Different Linux distributions might suck at different things, same with Windows, but Linux do not suck, that is personal opinion.

Not a very seasoned CLI Linux user, and probably never will be, since I'm very comfortable with clicking the buttons of the mouse every now and then
...but still I am able to give a helping hand to other people facing basic problems with Linux. Not them all, but some. In that way I give back something for all the free software I've been given, and the copy-pasting of other peoples codes and scripts to make my own system work. That's the good thing about community-based computing. Never had a problem with anything Linux/OS related that I would not have found the answer to within a few minutes. Happy to get answers, happy to provide them where possible.

But I guess this wrestling never ends, perhaps because of some cosmic laws of duality within the human mind. Even Linux users argue among themselves about things like Ubuntu and other GUI distros not being 'real' linux. "So what?", I say, and re-states; whatever works, works. And if things work with minimal effort, why not use it, or worse...why flame it?

*happy Ubuntu 11.10 user (and no, I do not feel comfortable with the Unity desktop), but given the freedom of choice, I'm using Gnome Shell

Stick to whatever works for you, and let other people do the same, and we all might just get along well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join