It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Can anybody recommend a good reverse osmosis water filtration system that's affordable? This website has a bunch, but they're anywhere between $200 - $300, plus you have to replace your faucet too based on what the guy I talked to on the phone said.

I'm looking for a simple system that filters out all of the bad stuff and chemicals in water, fluoride, chlorine, you name it, that's cheap. Does anybody have one themselves that they'd recommend?
edit on 17-1-2012 by TupacShakur because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

No such thing as a 'cheap' reverse osmosis system. They will all need regular replacement parts too.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

We have a 5 stage system here and it cost about $800.00 dollars Canadian which are the same as American right now or at least close.

I grew up with the owner of this company and no we did not get a deal, but what he did tell me was worth quite a bit of money.
He told us that the filters used are good for many many more months then claimed, he sold us a digital meter for about 70 bucks and this thing is accurate to the nines.
It is the same meter the cities use to test their water and therefore proven to be good.
So far here our water is still pure and fluoride free, April will be one year for our system and about then we should think about replacing the filters but not the membrane.
The membrane lasts a lot longer as in years if you maintain your system.
Maintenance includes back flushing it every year and changing your filters about that time if you use a lot of water.
What I am trying to say here is that what they say and what you do are two separate things, of course they want you to buy and change filters every few months but of course you don't have to.

We bought the Vectipure 5 stage system and also paid for the installation which cost us about 300 bucks of the purchase price.
The only real advice I have for you is to go with a 5 stage system as it removes everything and I do mean everything.
People will post here that you better watch out for the system removes all the nutrients in your water and you might get sick from lack of them.

Garbage I say as we are still alive here.
Lip smacking good water and ice cubes that are crystal clear everytime.

One other thing of note is that when these systems filter they dump half of everything down the drain so if you are on metered water rates this can be an unexpected cost.

If you would like pictures of our system being installed and the final result please just U2 me with your email address and its a done deal.

Our city water reads at 135ppm
Bottled water is in the 40ppm range
Our RO water is about 13ppm right now
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Wow so I guess $300 isn't too bad then. The one I'm looking to buy is also a 5 stage system, and I was told that three filters need to be replaced every year which costs $40 total, and another filter needs to be replaced every 4 years which costs $50 if I remember correctly.

Setting it up is going to suck though.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

We have a 5 stage system here and it cost about $800.00 dollars Canadian which are the same as American right now or at least close.

I grew up with the owner of this company and no we did not get a deal, but what he did tell me was worth quite a bit of money.
He told us that the filters used are good for many many more months then claimed, he sold us a digital meter for about 70 bucks and this thing is accurate to the nines.
It is the same meter the cities use to test their water and therefore proven to be good.
So far here our water is still pure and fluoride free, April will be one year for our system and about then we should think about replacing the filters but not the membrane.
The membrane lasts a lot longer as in years if you maintain your system.
Maintenance includes back flushing it every year and changing your filters about that time if you use a lot of water.
What I am trying to say here is that what they say and what you do are two separate things, of course they want you to buy and change filters every few months but of course you don't have to.

We bought the Vectipure 5 stage system and also paid for the installation which cost us about 300 bucks of the purchase price.
The only real advice I have for you is to go with a 5 stage system as it removes everything and I do mean everything.
People will post here that you better watch out for the system removes all the nutrients in your water and you might get sick from lack of them.

Garbage I say as we are still alive here.
Lip smacking good water and ice cubes that are crystal clear everytime.

One other thing of note is that when these systems filter they dump half of everything down the drain so if you are on metered water rates this can be an unexpected cost.

If you would like pictures of our system being installed and the final result please just U2 me with your email address and its a done deal.

Our city water reads at 135ppm
Bottled water is in the 40ppm range
Our RO water is about 13ppm right now
Regards, Iwinder

I screwed up here and replied to the wrong post and I apologize for that LightAssin
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
There's no such thing as a cheap filtration system, unless your just trying to hook something up to your kitchen sink. If you want something that can handle the water you use for showering and drinking, it's gonna cost you at least $2000, and that doesn't even include the cost to install it. Even if your installing it yourself your looking at additional costs for plumbing parts you'll need, pipe dopes and solder.

I don't know much about reverse osmosis filtration, but I do know a lot about copper ionization and titanium oxidation. In these systems, titanium rods are electrified which releases oxygen into water, helping to oxidize any small particles in the water and blow them up like a tick so they're easier for the filter to catch. Then copper rods are electrified releasing copper into the water and copper is a great sanitizer( that's why most plumbing in houses on the water delivery side is copper piping). Another great sanitizer is silver.

The copper and titanium cells are only part of the equation. You'd still need carbon filters to filter out the flouride and chlorine your municipality puts in your water.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
reply to post by Iwinder

Wow so I guess $300 isn't too bad then. The one I'm looking to buy is also a 5 stage system, and I was told that three filters need to be replaced every year which costs $40 total, and another filter needs to be replaced every 4 years which costs $50 if I remember correctly.

Setting it up is going to suck though.

You are correct, even then if you buy a digital testing meter you might get and probably will get more miles to your filters.
Yes the other filter is the membrane and they can last up to 4 years depending on your use and maintenance.

For us here it is just two people, tea, soups, etc of course drinking water and ice.
Trust me it is a scary transition once you try the filtered water you will gag after trying tap water ......plus the stink of chlorine and whatever else is in there.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

What is being measured at 135 ppm in your water? Or the 40 ppm, what is that a measurement of? Just curious

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BigBossWorm

The kind of filter I'm talking about is strictly for drinking water, not for showering water and faucets throughout the entire house, although that would be awesome if I had the money for something like that.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BigBossWorm

Ours is what you say it is, just for drinking and cooking......No need to revamp your kitchen sink you just drill a small hole to accommodate a second tap just for the good stuff.

I agree with you as in you can't possibly avoid it all the time but we have done the best we could here and will never go back to the mind altering crap in our city water.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Ah that's how it works! You drill a hole for a second tap, OK, that makes sense. When the guy was telling me on the phone about drilling a hole and installing a faucet, I imagined having to replace the current faucet I have.

The clean water sounds so nice. Crisp taste, no chlorine or fluoride or any of that junk, just some high quality H20
I'm curious, this might sound strange, but do you feel like your mind is functioning smoother with that fluoride free water? Because there are dozens of studies that say fluoride causes lower IQs and impairs cognitive functioning and stuff like that, so I'm curious if drinking fluoride free water produces a noticeable effect?
edit on 17-1-2012 by TupacShakur because: affect --> effect

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigBossWorm
reply to post by Iwinder

What is being measured at 135 ppm in your water? Or the 40 ppm, what is that a measurement of? Just curious

Suspended particles including heavy metals, good question and I will be honest here that our water tester does not test for the infamous Fluoride but it is a proven fact that the 5 stage removes it completely and totally from your drinking water.
When we first installed the system here our RO readings were at 4 ppm but that was almost a year ago.
We are very pleased with what we got and the only regret is that we did not do it sooner.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

reply to post by Iwinder

Ah that's how it works! You drill a hole for a second tap, OK, that makes sense. When the guy was telling me on the phone about drilling a hole and installing a faucet, I imagined having to replace the current faucet I have.

The clean water sounds so nice. Crisp taste, no chlorine or fluoride or any of that junk, just some high quality H20
I'm curious, this might sound strange, but do you feel like your mind is functioning smoother with that fluoride free water? Because there are dozens of studies that say fluoride causes lower IQs and impairs cognitive functioning and stuff like that, so I'm curious if drinking fluoride free water produces a noticeable effect?
edit on 17-1-2012 by TupacShakur because: affect --> effect

Actually the water you get is very smooth not crisp at all.....its like velvet on the tongue is the only way I can explain it.....almost soft and oily....sounds gross maybe but once you drink it you are sold.
Yes the tap you install is a secondary tap in the corner of your kitchen sink.
The reason we paid for installation is that we did not have room for the unit under our kitchen sink.
It had to go in the basement and the line runs about 30 feet to our kitchen.
My price included all taxes which are quite heavy here in Canada.
I don't know if we feel anymore aware because of this water but we do feel more comfortable in the thought that we have done something that our city will not and that is to remove Fluoride and other crap from our water.
Regards, iwinder

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

I'll probably have to get somebody to install it for me. I don't know where I'd go for that though, because the place I plan to buy the thing from is in another state. Maybe I could just run up to Home Depot or Lowe's and see if somebody can install it for me lol

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

reply to post by Iwinder

I'll probably have to get somebody to install it for me. I don't know where I'd go for that though, because the place I plan to buy the thing from is in another state. Maybe I could just run up to Home Depot or Lowe's and see if somebody can install it for me lol

All you really need is a drill and some patience but if your going to run the lines as far as we did it involved a lot of drilling and feeding the lines through our frame work in the floors.
With all the connections involved I was not comfortable with doing it as in "LEAKS" were my worst fear.
One another note here there are no movable nor breakable parts involved at all.....it all works off of your water pressure.
Regards, Iwinder

top topics

join