It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Congress Shelves SOPA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

U.S. Congress Shelves SOPA

www.escapistmagazine.com

I don't think any piece of proposed legislation has ever been the subject of condemnation and opposition as widespread as that of the Stop Online Piracy Act, better known far and wide as SOPA. A number of prominent game developers and publishers have come out against the act [although the Entertainment Software Association, unfortunately, remains a supporter] and many high-profile websites, including Reddit, Mojang and Boing Boing, intended to "go black" on January 18 in protest.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Well, it seems as if SOPA has been stalled.

The idea of the republic has worked, for now. We still have PIPA to worry about in the long term, and future bills that may jeopardize the sanctity of the internet. We should not give up, and we should remain vigilant.

Keep up the good fight: americancensorship.org...
Support the blackout tomorrow, and always keep an eye out for the sake of internet freedom and the free flow of information.

www.escapistmagazine.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
This is a big win for the united states and the world. I'm starting to doubt that this bill will even make it to becoming a law with many major websites taking action against the bill. However, the battle is won but the war is not over.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Important Note: Shelved not binned.

This will rear its ugly head again soon, mark my words. The people are not ready for it yet.
They fast forwarded this bill because people are waking up to tyranny and illegal goings on by the government and the NWO extremists.

When war starts you will see SOPA enforced initiated by marshall law.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

This is why I say that it is important for us to stay vigilant. We must continue to be our own watchdogs, because I swear this will be back under a different name and with prettier writing.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
damn beat me to it
heres an alternative source tho
www.shtfplan.com...

ps. obama did originally say he would not support the NDAA could he not just switch his stance on this bill as well?

i do agree it will just come back with a prettier name, already this isnt the first internet bill they have tried to pass
edit on 17-1-2012 by trust_no_one because: ps.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Brilliant news, but let's not forget about the sneaky PIPA alternative.

www.bbc.co.uk...

www.computerworld.com...

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Its hard to happy about it completly, a excellent tern of events, but it really shouldnt have even been serious in the first place...

2nd

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
That PIPA thing doesn't sound good locking someone up for five years for watching 10 episodes of south park in six months for example it is completely insane to criminalize someone for watching something they may otherwise have never bothered watching otherwise. WTF goes on these peoples minds do u have to have an accident as a child or be mentally deficient in some other capacity in order to even begin to contemplate that PIPA is appropriate.
I think because someone has watched something online some monkey employed in someones accounting department believes they could have sold that digital media instead , Completely wrong you silly monkey they would have done something else that was free probly more interesting and possibly better for there health or just bought a traditional pirate DVD/CD or got a friend to make them a copy.
The quality online is usually poor at best and is normally accompanied by advertisements.
If they can't compete they should piss off.
The people complaining are greedy , useless , ignorant fools that have become reliant on extorting vast sums of money from the general public by making fancy looking propaganda films.
Not only do they hold award ceremonies and functions to empower there ridiculous ego's they want to lock people up for not paying to watch there mediocre jizz.
As you can tell i think there lunatics 5 years in prison WTF u can get less than that for stabbing someone.
A 10p fine for repeat ignore's of bull# would be a little more proportionate even then it won't be long before everyone labeled all involved as a bunch of INSERT NAME HERE though.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I called it! I said this wouldn't pass, last time a bill similar happen it got shelved. The moment google throw its self behind the Anti-SOPA movement it was done and done with.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Star and flag this. I guess Wikipedia and other websites threatening to go dark worked!

I wrote to my congressman about SOPA, but she didn't listen to what I had to say and basically called me and other anti-SOPA folk criminals who didn't even deserve her time in her reply. The White House had a very good, well-informed statement against the bill in the above article that is worth reading. It's always important to stay informed so that you can make good arguments.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
SOPA is back on the table in the house already for February. Shelves in the house gather no dust. SEE ATS breaking news thread. Can't link at the moment sorry.

This is not good.

ETA this thread is a duplicate too of one I posted yesterday, but I figured the more people that switched focus to PIPA (not the cute sister) the merrier. With the news that SOPA is on the table again though, looks like they are playing their shell game with the whole net.
edit on 17-1-2012 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

top topics

join