Originally posted by Cosmic911
Originally posted by MrUncreated
He did take a lie detector test and pass with flying colors. So either he knows how to beat one, he's crazy, or he's telling the truth.
Polygraph tests are not permitted as evidence in U.S. courts so the credibility of such tests is questionable at best.
As far as polygraphs are concerned, one aspect of a traditional polygraph is of any so-called "test" it is extraordinarily and almost entirely
subjective. Unlike a DNA test, or conventional lab test, where you have a value that is compared to a set of norms, or for DNA you compare a visual
image, like a complex graph. Consider even the MMPI; the Minnesota multi-phasic personality inventory, a dreaded 500 question test (roughly, when in
full form), that goes back to the 1940''s. Though it's been "updated" and despite giving anyone who takes it the distinct impression it's the shrinks
who are in need of therapy, it is well established that it can provide a basic psychological profile with fair accuracy, provided other methods like
asking the right questions, in the right way are also used.
But it's also very culturally biased, and many will feel like they need to take a shower after slogging through what seem like disjointed, "Weird if
not creepy" questions. Personally I feel you can "get inside someones head" with greater relevance by having a casual conversation with someone. (The
best "interrogators" "interrogate" someone by "casually" just sitting down and having a cup of coffee with the target individual. So it's sneaky, the
more spontaneous it seems, like sitting next to someone waiting to catch, or on a flight, it's also much more effective, IMO ).
But I have heard from a few people who as part of some , usually routine, annual investigation, are in an environment were it's done frequently,
like intelligence, that an experienced polygrapher has an uncanny ability to get an accurate "read" of someone's level of truthfulness. But were
talking at LEAST 10 years experience or more. Among other things they have to recognize the normal apprehension in the physiological activity of
anyone (normal or as mentioned not a sociopath) taking a polygraph. Your expected to be a little nervous, and if not thats a red flag. Then theres the
fact some people are very good liars, given no incentive some people PREFER to lie, it's not that unknown a trait. Also the idea that certain drugs,
like valium can "fool" the box (actually the guy interpreting the results) is not as helpful as many think. It's also something that is in itself is
detectable by experienced people even without a drug test, which is sometimes standard procedure anyway. After all many people are also on certain
medication's for legitimate reasons plus the ones that may have an affect, also affect the entire session, not just certain answers, which usually
just present as inconclusive. Often there not even the drugs people would think about.
So all this means is of all types of "tests" I can't think of any that so depend on the experience and subjective ability so much as a polygraph.
Very, very few are really good at doing this, but the best are close to amazing. With al my babbling, what about Lazar? Clearly his credibility is
close to zilch, but a few odd things do pop up. Like his W-2 for an Office of Navel Intelligence contractor. This could be, though I doubt it, a very
good example of how we create and use disinformation, with OR WITHOUT his knowledge or co-operation of the "actor". This guy speaks well but can't
remotely hold his weight when it comes to "talking like a real scientist". He's demolished by a few questions any BASIC physics student should know in
his sleep. And when you check credentials, going back to high school this guy was a lousy student all around. Ad to that his story is just too Walter
Middy, and not a very clever one. Way to many holes.
So my cheap opinion for what it's worth? I give a 10% probability its disinformation and he was an unwilling dupe. And 90% likely its just bull s***.
But it's the kind of bs so many of us WANT to believe, it kind of sells itself.
edit on 17/1/12 by arbiture because: spelling screw-up...
edit on 17/1/12 by arbiture because: same...