It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey! may i get you a memory erasing dehumanizing pill for that PTSD?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder has been growing among US vets at an alarming rate. The trauma of war has over 300,000 deployed soldiers living with PTSD, which makes approximately 20 percent of vets. In 2010, the number of diagnosed cases have jumped 50 percent. Now the Pentagon has received an $11 million grant to study the effectiveness of a new drug on military vets. The drug, DCS, is thought to get rid of fearful memories and get the trama out of war. Doctor Jeff Kaye, blogger and TruthOut contributor joins us to discuss this new drug. Follow Kristine on Twitter at twitter.com...

To me PTSD is a reminder of the horrors of war. Like the man says in the video "taking the terror out of war". We are trying to patch up something instead of addressing its root cause. Many say war is in our blood , if it was , then PTSD wouldn't be such a problem.

Its our inner humanity , our conscience telling society no matter how much you sugar coat it , its WRONG.

PTSD is a clear example of why there never is winners in war. Only bullies.

Now to give soldiers to such a pill and patch up the problem would only cause more blowback , by having medicated soldiers walking around with a memory erasing pill. Sure it saves the pentagon millions from therapy , medication costs , etc for PTSD soldiers.

If the pill does work ,and takes away the PTSD symptoms , would this not breed a better killing machine ? Sadly yes. Not a fan of pill for this pill for that society we have today. Not a fan of this pill for soldiers.

D-cycloserine (DCS)
clinicaltrials.gov...

What's say you ? are you onboard with a potential memory erasing pill , to help patch up , the byproducts of war?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
To me, this is so wrong...it is one pill away from erasing the last vestige of our personal Freedoms.

What if the federal government passes laws that we all have to take such pills....To erase why we are so frustrated with them...

A little pill here...a little pill there....mindless sheep...
edit on 17-1-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I haven't gone through all your links yet, but this reminds me of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (featuring Jim Carrey in one of his few serious rolls- GREAT movie & highly recommend if you haven't seen it!)

I was in a 2 and half year relationship with an army vet who served 4 years in the middle east- 99-2004. (we were together from 2006-2009)
And I learned first hand the horrors and trauma that take over these young soldiers minds.

He had violent nightmares/night terrors almost every night.
He was constantly paranoid.
He got deep into drugs (and he was very straight-laced before serving)
He was unpredictable and emotionally unstable- it tore me apart inside when he would just randomly break down sobbing and collapse into my lap- a 6 ft 6 in man around 275 lbs crying hysterically, a man I loved dearly, ugh....words could never adequately express what that was like

edit on 17-1-2012 by ltinycdancerg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
There is no way this is NOT jus another form of prefrontal lobotomy.
This is a product of the insane minds which are running the whole thing....Who in their right mind would even dream of such a pill?
This is simply more psychopathic crap from above......
may God help us all!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
10% -30% of combat soldiers develop PTSD..hmm for some insane reason..I thought that the % of combat soldiers with a conscience would be higher.

Peace

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I'm gonna take the low road here and probably piss some people off, but it has to be said.

PTSD is nothing new. As long as there have been people, there has been PTSD... and the fact PTSD and war are linked is no big secret. That being said, WHY THE HELL would anyone ever join the military, especially in a time of war? Military suicides hit record highs, and people are shocked and confused? These guys joined the military in a time of war, knowing full well they were probably going to get PTSD. War messes people up.

Long story short... They joined the military in a time of war KNOWING they'd probably get PTSD and be messed up, got home from the war and (holy crap I can't believe it) GOT PTSD AND WERE MESSED UP. They knew what they were getting into.

What's the next study? "Lactose intolerant people continue to get diarrhea after drinking milk"

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I suffered with PTSD after leaving the army. I had it for a few years and it is suffering that unless you have been through it you will never understand.

It ruined my marriage, I could not go to work without having extreme anxiety attacks. I could not get on a bus, stand in queues at shops, sometimes couldnt even leave the house.

Imagine every muscle in you body tensed all the time and your stomache turning over and over ALL OF THE TIME WITHOUT RELEASE. Rocking back and forward on your chair because you cant relax, then there is the nightmares, night terrors, flasbacks.. I could go on.. I just wanted to die.. Infact I did try to kill myself.

I lost EVERYTHING because of PTSD, and got no help from the army or NHS. I found meditation techniques that worked almost immediatly combined with fitness training and keeping away from caffiene and alcohol.

However if I had the option of a simple pill to get rid of it I would have taken it!! Damn right!

If you guys do not like the pill, tough!

I would not wish the hell of PTSD on ANYONE!
edit on 17-1-2012 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

This is actually frightening research.

This could be misapplied for all sorts of psychological control purposes.

I feel for those that suffer from PTSD but this research has other implications beyond the humanitarian.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

I absolutely agree. I have even considered traveling abroad to get a lobotomy, and if I'd had the money at the time I would have done it in a heartbeat. Thank God I'm getting better now. Hell yes I would have taken the pill. If I'd had that pill for my PTSD, then I would have a job right now and be working, and still have my fiancee and be married by now, would have my own place to live, car, etc. Now I have nothing.

So bring on the pill.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

Not all of us veterans joined during a time of War. PTSD is our brains way of telling us that we are humans, not ruthless cold blooded killers. Those who have not served will never understand what. nit is like.

I would not take the pill because these memories although horrible, remind me everyday what right from wrong is.
they start forcing this pill and they will have bigger problems than Marines pissing on dead enemy fighters.

new topics

top topics

join