It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Should we be calling the poison control hotline for ingesting fluoride?

page: 1
6

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
So toothpaste carries a warning about ingesting the toothpaste due to the fluoride content. It states to use a pea sized amount for brushing and if ingestion of more than this amount occurs then you should contact poison control. The way these labels read it looks like it's generally referring to children however it is usually ambiguous enough that it could also apply to adults.

Now, the amount of fluoride contained in a pea sized amount of toothpaste is roughly equivalent to the amount of fluoride found in one to two glasses of tap water. With the aforementioned warning in mind, should we be calling poison control for ingesting more than eight to twelve ounces of water? And if the warning is only relating to children then should we be calling after they drink water?

I have not done this myself but I am very curious as to what they would say if one were to call them for something like this. I would be even more curious to see what would happen if they were inundated with calls from many people for this. Thoughts? Has anyone done this or know of someone who has and the outcome?

The number for the poison control hotline in the US is 1-800-222-1222. This is a handy number to have and if you don't know it already you should make sure you have it somewhere just in case you need it for something besides fluoride.




posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
That would be awesome.

Flood the phones.

Millions of calls for ingesting flouride.


 
Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com
 



posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I used to eat toothpaste as a kid and I turned out fine.

I wouldn't worry about it...


edit on 17-1-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I saw this documentary too.


Yeah, I think it's a great idea to flood their phones with thousands of people calling in saying "I JUST DRINK TWO GLASSES OF WATER OMG AM I GOING TO MAKE IT!?!?"

I'd happily call and do my part.



posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho
 


Another inmate trying to tell other inmates how to run the asylum. Don't listen to him. Everyone is medicated, haven't you heard? Take your medicine.



posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
2 glasses of water is 1ppm of fluoride. Drink 10 glasses a day and its still 1ppm of fluoride.


Toothpaste contains on average depending on maker 1450ppm of fluoride....unless you eat the toothpaste the brief exposure is not going to toxicify the body unless you are going to walk around all day with toothpaste in your mouth

edit on 17-1-2012 by minor007 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I've no idea how busy the poison hotline is, but don't you run the risk of inhibiting someone in genuine need of assistance? It's a nice idea in theory, but it could have real world repurcussions to people who are in need of urgent help.

(edit- we're not in urgent need, we're being poisened slowly
)
edit on 17/1/2012 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by minor007
 


The concentration does not matter, it's the amount of the product ingested.

Optimal fluoride levels recommended by the U.S. Public Health Service and CDC for drinking water range from 0.7 parts per million (ppm) for warmer climates to 1.2 ppm for cooler climates to account for the tendency for people to drink more water in warmer climates.

If they reduce the amount of fluoride in warmer climates because people drink more water then aren't they saying that more is bad and there is a risk of ingesting too much with your water?

The concentration does not matter, it's the amount of the product ingested, however, yes you would get more of the product in higher concentrations.
edit on 17-1-2012 by mus8472 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic
 


I agree and wouldn't want to tie things up because of that, was mostly just curious as to weather anyone has tried this and what response they may have gotten. Locking the system down doing this would be a bad thing for sure.



posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mus8472


If they reduce the amount of fluoride in warmer climates because people drink more water then aren't they saying that more is bad and there is a risk of ingesting too much with your water?

 


Humans can only consume so much water at one time. The fluoride benefit consensus was formed after studying populated areas which were consuming naturally fluorinated water at a level of around 1ppm.

There is one case, I believe (no link) in India where there was a very high level and it caused negative effects for the population. That was of course natural though. The evil Mother Nature Conspiracy...

Just as certain vitamins are absolutely necessary, some are also poisonous in large doses.

www.cancer.gov...



posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic
 


I wouldnt worry about it.

The poison hotline is a crock anyway. You've got two choices depending on the poison, induce vomiting or dont induce vomiting and drink either copious amounts of water or milk depending on the poison. If topical just flush with water for 15 minutes.

At any rate a serious call to poison control always ends with "hang up and dial 911."

Most of what 911 deals with is crap too.

These hotlines are crap first and actual emergencies place somewhere around 7th or 8th.

I love this:

If someone has swallowed a poison like a household cleaner call 1-800-222-1222 before you have them drink anything or induce vomiting.
Because calling them makes them feel useful. God forbid you actually have a manual on hand or knowledge in the bank. Please America, give our operators something to do and call.

They front like it's some kind of secret magic only a select few are privy to.



posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX
reply to post by boncho
 


Another inmate trying to tell other inmates how to run the asylum. Don't listen to him. Everyone is medicated, haven't you heard? Take your medicine.


So I assume by this comment you have completely cut out the consumption of fluoride from your life? You only consume non-fluorinated water, toothpaste, etc, etc.

Tell us, you must go to great lengths to achieve this, and has your IQ gone up? Do you now wield some super power that the "powers that be" have been hiding from us by feeding us fluoride?




posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by SyphonX
reply to post by boncho
 


Another inmate trying to tell other inmates how to run the asylum. Don't listen to him. Everyone is medicated, haven't you heard? Take your medicine.


So I assume by this comment you have completely cut out the consumption of fluoride from your life? You only consume non-fluorinated water, toothpaste, etc, etc.

Tell us, you must go to great lengths to achieve this, and has your IQ gone up? Do you now wield some super power that the "powers that be" have been hiding from us by feeding us fluoride?






I no longer ingest fluoride. I drink water that is 1/2 RO and 1/2 artesian well. I have the water chemistry from 2011 back to 2000. No fluoride.

I don't use fluoride toothpaste and my teeth are white and shiny. I think my breath is ok too, but it's hard to be one's own judge when it comes to halitosis.

I don't drink soda, or other prepared drinks. I don't eat fast food and most of what I do eat is local organic.

I don't have super powers, and I don't think I've gained any intelligence. I do, however, feel like I'm representing myself by not only talking about, but acting how I believe. I encourage others to do the same. So if you want to drink the water, drink it. Personally I think there is plenty evidence that fluoride has negative health effects that I'll avoid it whenever possible.


Seriously, though. You wouldn't "regain" intelligence by not ingesting fluoride. You may, however, reach a higher potential IQ if you don't ingest it in the first place. I believe this is pretty concretely documented.



posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus
 


Some of the greatest minds have ingested some of the worst chemicals known to man. They didn't coin the term "Mad Scientist" for no reason at all....




top topics



 
6

log in

join