It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Name Nasa's Twin Moon Probes "Ebb and Flow"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Fourth Graders in Montana won the contest to name Nasa's Twin Moon probes and this is what they picked

"Ebb" & "Flow"

NASA's twin gravity-mapping moon probes received new names Tuesday (Jan. 17), reflecting their mission to study the changing pull of Earth's natural satellite.

Now to be called "Ebb" and "Flow," the tandem Gravity Recovery And Interior Laboratory (or Grail) spacecraft arrived in lunar orbit over the New Year weekend and were previously referred to simply as "A" and "B". Their new names were offered by fourth grade students in Bozeman, Mont., who were chosen as the winners of NASA's naming contest.

I think this is great! I remember in 2nd grade we got some tomato seeds that went to space on the shuttle and our class grew them once they came back and tracked the progress to see if being in space kept them from growing. I made the paper measuring my plant, tongue sticking out and all. Funny thing is space didn't affect their growth, my grandparents had it for years

I like when schools get involved in things like this. I live on the Space Coast so our schools were always very involved with various space programs. It was cool and probably explains my love of space exploration

According to NASA, about 900 classrooms with more than 11,000 students from 45 states — as well as Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia — suggested names. The contest was open to U.S. students in kindergarten through 12th grade and began about a month after the probes were launched last September and ran through Nov. 11.

I remember when they started this, I followed it on FB. I even gave my suggestions, which for the life of me I can't remember! It was neat to see the names people came up with but the final name was down to the kids! I am sure they are excited as was I as a kid whenever we did anything that involved the space program. I think my mom still has the paper clipping of me measuring my tomato

The link below has a video on GRAIL, sorry it's not a youtube vid so I can't embed it.

Ebb and Flow

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
That's quite clever and a reminder of the most obvious effect the Moon has on planet Earth - one which almost certainly led to the rise of life on the land

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
The second place team offered "Fred and George" to honour the Weasley twins from Harry Potter.

Until they found out Fred was killed in Deathly Hallows II.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
As others have pointed out "Ebb" and "Flow" are great names for craft that will be studying the gravity of the Moon, considering the Moon's tidal effects on the earth....

..However, maybe I'm just an old fart who watched too much TV when growing up, but when I hear "Ebb and Flow", I think of these two (Eb and Flo)
:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

LOL I have no idea who those people are.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

That's Eb from "Green Acres" and Flo from "Alice". Eb and Flo.

I suppose you may not know them if you didn't watch a lot of TV through the decade of the 1970s.

new topics

top topics

join