It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can your prayer give me/you understanding

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
After a long conversation with a friend the other day I have been thinking about this particular subject. I am hopeful to get some viewpoints of those who believe in the scriptures.

Various biblical verses regarding prayer seem to show a trend of ask and you shall receive if you truly have faith. With that in mind I am curious why believers don't simply pray for understanding of the scripture. I constant hear that its up to the person to discover the meaning for themselves yet if there is a claim of "I understand the truth about...." its scoffed. I personally enjoy reading the bible and discussing it although I do not believe. I also have no issue admitting I do not understand many things about it. So with that in mind, if you are a true believer and strong in the faith could you not pray that I understood what god or jesus meant in the writings and I would receive knowledge from god as I read? Or, if someone gave you a set of verses they had problems understand could you pray and be absolutely sure that you understand god's message to relay it to them?

I presented this idea to my friend and she refused to do it. I have known her since we were children and I do not doubt her conviction to her faith in god so I was confused and she really didn't give a reason for why she wouldn't. So I am posing the question here to get your thoughts. Would you be comfortable telling someone that you KNOW without doubt god gave you understanding so you could answer their questions and KNOW you were speaking the truth from god/jesus. Or would you always add the "well i believe" to the explanation?

examples of the whole ask and receive msg

Matthew 7:7 ”Ask, and it will be given to you seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
Matthew 21:22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.”
Mark 9:29 And he said to them, “This kind cannot be driven out by anything but prayer.”
Mark 11:24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
John 14:13-14 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it

I look forward to your thoughts and of course if you believe its all bunk/no god/blah blah blah thanks but that has no bearing on the thread.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by drivers1492

I think you answered your own question.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Since I don't have the power to read minds of those browsing ats I haven't answered anything. But thanks for the reply none the less.....

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Praying for discernment is beneficial for each of us.

I have already prayed that the Holy Spirit will reveal what you seek.

I find it very strange that your “friend” refused the same request.

Remember all prayer is answered, but not always is it the answer we desire.

Meditation is as important as prayer, each of us must quiet the internal noise in order for our soul to hear.

Prayer and Meditation, both are necessary.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by brokedown

Thanks for the prayer. If I might ask you, why would a specific prayer for understanding gods meaning in scripture so you can share it with someone else not be answered the way you want it too? I have heard many times that particular viewpoint but I don't see that supported in the scripture I quoted. Do you have some that would show me that idea?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Many try to use prayer as a child talks to the Mall Santa, I want this or that, I need this or that, an endless list of “Give-Me’s”.

When a child does this same action with their Parent, what we witness is some times the answer is yes, but most of the time the answer is No. The Parent knows that most of the child’s request are not beneficial for the child.

Same is the response of our Heavenly Father.

When the child starts to mature and again petitions the Parent in a much different manner, “I need help” with this or that, the Parent starts to fulfill the request more frequently.

Our intention is the attitude that will become the judge if our Prayers are answered in the manner that we desire. What I mean by this, is when we have matured in matters of the Spirit, learning that our reasons for the Prayer request is no longer rooted in selfishness, and springs from a true desire to be faithful, then we can expect that our Prayers to be answer more often in the manner in which we desire.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
It's weird to me that your friend said no to you. I mean, people are always asking for others to pray for them. "Pray for my sick dog" "Pray that I get this job" etc... She must not have very strong convictions herself, or just doesn't understand the Bible either. I feel this is an issue with MANY people of faiths that rely on the Bible for answers.
I really think that no one really understands it, but those same people will be the ones to tell you that you must have faith. Faith = we have no idea, but you should believe just in case.

Also the Bible has been written and re-written, there are books missing and books added, so there really is no telling if what you're reading is what was meant to be read in the first place. I personally feel that it's all wrong. Maybe there is a god, maybe there is a Jesus, but what the Bible says about these beings just doesn't seem accurate to me.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

So are you comfortable saying you are one of the more mature believers and that your comfortable your prayer will be answered?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleVoice731

I see your point about the re-writing and all. But, if one of the multiple passages is correct about receiving from god then even with the confusion asking for understanding should fix all of that.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

As a believer myself, I pray for understanding when I encounter a particular passage that I feel needs more understanding than I got when just reading it. I also study in a variety of ways. But as to praying for a non-believer to gain understanding of scripture, it doesn't work like that. Why? Salvation is a gift from God - for by God's grace are you saved through Faith. That Faith, to be able to believe in His Son Jesus Christ, results from that free gift of grace. Obviously, if something is a “gift of grace,” it cannot be earned. To work for something is to deserve it, and that would produce an obligation—a gift of debt, as it were. No amount of works, including studying the Bible, can get you that gift. Grace is God's part and faith is our part. Faith, in order to be saving faith, includes within itself the obedience which God asks of us.

Once sins are repented and you are baptised, then you receive the Holy Spirit. God teaches us, he is your teacher. If you do not have His Spirit, then there is no two way communication..... I hope that this makes sense, that I could pray all day that you receive understanding but if you do not have the Spirit of God then the teaching can't happen.

Having said all this, you say that you really like to study scripture yet are not a believer? Can I ask, do you understand why Jesus spoke in parables? He spoke in parables because He was there to gather only those whom His father had given Him. All others would simply not respond to the gospel message or understand it. His gospel message announces the Kingdom of God to His flock, so therefore the salvation that He offered was to that flock. And that is still the same today - those that respond to the hearing of the gospel message are those that God seeks in this Age. Why? He is raising Children for His Kingdom and understanding is given to those children.

Faith is a gift from God. I pray for that faith to come to as many as possible, but understanding of scripture is something that is given to those of faith. If I may ask, why do you not pray for that gift of faith? Obviously, something attracts you to the message...but yet you remain an unbeliever? I sincerely hope that I answered your questions, but Jesus made it clear why He spoke as He did in parables. When that gospel message gets through to someone, they usually fall straight down on their knees in repentance and complete humility for it is humbling to the core.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Yes, I do have an example of why a prayer for understanding is not always answered with the ability being bestowed.

The Spiritual Path is explained very well as in one attempts to build a building.

First the ground must be cleared, all that is growing upon it must be scraped away, so that the root of the weed is no longer present, so that the weed can never start to sprout again, keeping the foundation strong and in tack.

The foundation is then laid down, the cornerstone is the first stone to be set in place.

Then the blocks are each laid in place, one by one, each block upon another, each additional block could not have been placed less the block that is rest upon was already set.

The Father knows the desire of each of our hearts, if one truly thirst after the things of the Spirit, the Father will start where one is and start building Spiritual maturity from that point.

You have already received understanding for the level you find yourself to be. As desiring a deeper understanding, this will come when you are ready. You may believe that you are ready today, and today may be the day that a deeper understanding appears, but this is not for us to decide, the Father will give the additional responsibility when he knows that the weight can be carried.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

I was raised in the protestant church and over the years have found I no longer believe. Why do I study it? It was a large part of my life growing up and many in my family and friends maintain its the truth. So I do search for understanding. I no longer pray for anything.

So my question to you would be this. Given my statements, and given yours that you do believe, why could you not pray for understanding and explain scripture to me. Of course that reverts back to without faith you can't have understanding, but, if you know you do understand gods message then a non-believer would be able to read scripture with the knowledge you shared to help them see what god/jesus means from said scripture.

So what I am asking believers is do you honestly feel you could explain scripture someone has questions about and absolutely KNOW you are giving them gods message correctly since you gained it from god.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Very nice analogy. Do you have some scripture to show god only gives as he see's we are ready. Please don't quote 1 cor 10 it refers to temptation which isn't really relevant to the discussion.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Absolutely,

I am very comfortable in where I find myself along the Spiritual Path.

Have I reach my destination ? NO.

But, I am no longer at the beginning either.

Each day I recognize the Spirit working in my life, this conversation is an example of that.

Prayer being answered is no longer a question for me. I understand that when I pray that it will be answered, however, I still receive a lot of No’s.

Sometimes the “No’s” are a better teaching tool than a yes, and is it not the understanding that we really are seeking.

I have learned over the years, through trial and error, that when I get the No, listen and obey, because when I do it anyway, the consequences of my disobedience are hard to cope with, so today I accept the NO and move on.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Not that I am side stepping the question about “Proof text” I will get back to that.

You had asked a very important question to another responder concerning interpretation of scripture.

This is something I must respond to.

You have a Bible, you have the ability to read, and have some understanding of what you do read. Is your understanding complete, maybe not, but here in lies the rub. We are all human, each with our own set of frailties, failures and baggage, NONE of us have a complete understanding of the Spiritual lessons to be learned from Scripture. None of Us !

Let me caution you to use your own intellect first, what you find as the Spiritual lesson to be learned will be the Spiritual lesson for you, personally, at this point in time. Years later you could read the very same passage and a whole new outlook could be revealed, that would be the lesson for you personally at that time.

There is nothing wrong with each of us helping one another along the path, but many allow other humans to “Tell them what GOD is saying”, this is very dangerous.

No one knows better than you what it is GOD is saying to you. No One! This is your responsibility, no one else’s.

You see that this is the method in which many are lead astray.

This is how Religion is born.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I will have to reply to your last to posts a bit later but thanks for the input and I will respond when I get back home.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by drivers1492
reply to post by WhoKnows100

I was raised in the protestant church and over the years have found I no longer believe. Why do I study it? It was a large part of my life growing up and many in my family and friends maintain its the truth. So I do search for understanding. I no longer pray for anything.

So my question to you would be this. Given my statements, and given yours that you do believe, why could you not pray for understanding and explain scripture to me. Of course that reverts back to without faith you can't have understanding, but, if you know you do understand gods message then a non-believer would be able to read scripture with the knowledge you shared to help them see what god/jesus means from said scripture.
So what I am asking believers is do you honestly feel you could explain scripture someone has questions about and absolutely KNOW you are giving them gods message correctly since you gained it from god.

If it's a subject that I feel confident about, sure I could explain it knowing that God has allowed me to have the understanding. Having said this, not all believers are called to be teachers and there is a reason for this. Teachers are judged more harshly than others because they have the ability to lead another person down the wrong path. Look at the enormous variety of doctrine within just the Christian churches. This is why Christians need to study scripture so that they cannot be misled by false teachers. It truly is like making your way through a swamp in this day and age. I will even qualify my understanding that the listener seek confirmation in scripture and with God. We are told in scripture to verify everything, even if an angel popped up in front of me. All of us are to seek scriptural support in every instance. But remember, to an unbeliever, I could speak all day long but if they have no faith (which comes as a result of Gods grace) then the message will not stay with them.

Sharing the gospel message prompts a response in certain individuals that God is calling. But remember, you cannot study your way to salvation but you can seek that faith that leads to salvation. Your family is right, God is Truth and His inspired Word is truth. Something deep down is drawing you to it and just perhaps it is God himself knowing that you have strayed from the level of faith that you once had. Above all, Jesus Christ knows this world and the things that get in the way of spiritual journeys.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

2 Timothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

We see here that if we study God's word, asking Him to give us understanding as we study and believing He will give us that which we ask in faith, it is not impossible to imagine being able to relate God himself to those who misunderstand what they are reading or hearing.

Is there some scripture you are having trouble understanding?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Prayer is pointless if you have no belief in God... And asking others to pray so that you "understand" is even more pointless honestly...

One tip... Meditation can help you in understanding of all things...

So I am posing the question here to get your thoughts. Would you be comfortable telling someone that you KNOW without doubt god gave you understanding so you could answer their questions and KNOW you were speaking the truth from god/jesus. Or would you always add the "well i believe" to the explanation?

Yes im quite comfortable telling anyone that i KNOW certain things that have been shown to me in my studies... Belief is different then "knowing".... And many times people disagree with what i say, but i maintain what i know until someone can show me otherwise...

IF you have questions i can help you understand if you wish... and it might comfort you to know i have no religious affiliation as well...

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Start off with little steps. I will pray because you asked. Yes, there are those who pray and answers come right away, but sometimes it takes time. There are many who give up when they see their prayers are not seen to be answered, but I can assure you that they will be answered.

I find that prayers about where I am in life are answered in ways that I know I was heard, but my prayers such as losing weight are not answered. Does that mean they won't be? No, it means maybe I am praying with wrong motivation. If it is truly in your heart, you will have the answers.

We have to ask in wisdom. I will use the example of me...I have MS and I am mostly in a wheelchair. I want to lose weight but can't exercise like most people. Should I pray to exercise or should I pray to be healed of MS. If I am healed of MS, would I be lazy and not exercise? That could be so, but I have to learn to pray what is best for me.

People pray in times of crisis and it seems their prayers are not heard and they lose faith, but maybe the prayer was answered in a way they did not see. Sometimes parents with sick children pray and the child dies, but the child is now healed in a place of no suffering. So we can't always know the full wisdom of God.

Prayer is never in vain, and prayer will be answered, in one or another. I don't think we should be praying for the preacher to get a new rolex or car...but we can be praying that he does get a car that will help him do those things like visiting sick people or people in jail. Those are necessary things to do, but not for the preacher to drive a new Rolls Royce to show off that he has a bigger congregation or uses that car to go places he should not.

It really is about what we want to do with the answer, and if it is for something that is not right, then it is not a real prayer. I prayed to grow 2 inches to be able to get into the National Guard, because I wanted to go to college with the GI Bill. I never grew and had to find another thing to do, but who knows what would have happened to me there. I don't know, but accept it.

Prayer isn't about getting, it is about what is best for us. I will pray for you to receive more understanding, because that is a good thing for you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join