It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok, I've had it!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

oh no problem lol
the shakespearean comment was about my "TO BE" quote because first thing that popped in my head was "To be or not to be" lol
so yeah asherah. that's a very interesting comment. i have heard it before, and i had read that the shekinah was the same as asherah. so is it saying......oh wait a minute.
is it suggesting that the male equivalent of his asherah is asher?
oh this is getting quite interesting. whatever could it mean. (don't mind me, i'm a complete nerd when it comes to this stuff)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

hmm, quite possibly!
the issue i have with the "lying to themselves" comment is, alot of times i don't think we even know we are. is this the state most people find themselves in? where you make a decision about your world view and then from there on out spend a great deal of time lying to yourself about anything that might change it in even the slightest way, and it's only by the slow eroding of that defensive mechanism that you ever learn even one new thing?
i understand a certain amount of "lying" is not deliberate, regardless of world view.

what this thread is talking about is religions and organizations who claim the righteous or moral authority to lie to other people on purpose, who they deem to be not worth telling the truth. this leaks over even into secret societies who insist you prove your worth before the truth as they know it, can be imparted to you, although in the case of secret societies, i'm not sure they condone lying to people on purpose, whether or not they are members of the secret society. it's more like they just don't tell you all the data and avoid discussing it any further so they don't have to lie to you in order to keep from telling you any secret stuff. not sure how that's any different technically speaking, from lying, since in both cases, it's withholding truth. but at least it doesn't have that same "i'm not telling you because you suck" feel to it.

edit on 17-1-2012 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

societies who insist you prove your worth before the truth as they know it, can be imparted to you,

undo,
look into the Buddhist faith...there is evidence (that some dispute) that Jesus of Nazareth studied with them. One of their "hazing" processes is that you MUST prove to the leaders that your thinking is straight before they will divulge to you the "secrets" of achieving enlightenment and connecting to the divine.

For example, the mantras (words used during devotions and apeals to the Utmost) must be intoned in a certain and specific manner. A person can read the words, say them, all they want, but if they are not uttered with the correct tone, vibration, intonation, etc., they will achieve nothing. Only those who have studied long and hard, and undergone rigorous study, practice, scrutiny, questioning, and testing will be taught those "precious" secrets.

I suggest you read the Evans-Wentz English publication of The Tibetan Book of the Dead . It gives a transcript not just of the things that the gurus and yogis say to the dying person, but the history, structure, and system of the Tibetan Buddhists, as well as notations and explanations of their reasoning, and all in an easily read format, written for occidental thinkers to comprehend.

It's fascinating, very enlightening. You know, you can always say, "rubbish!" when you're done reading it, but I learned a LOT.

We have to acknowledge that knowledge is power....and only those who have shown themselves worthy of using that "power" for good, and not evil, should be given it.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
reply to post by undo

Actually, I think Christianity lies to themselves more that they lie to us. And it's true that the alphabet government agencies lie, they have to. We each just have to use our built in truth meter. If I am speaking face to face, I can tell if someone is lying, but now on other mediums such as the internet

Anybody who uses faith as their ‘truth’ has to maintain that faith and will go to great lengths to protect that faith which includes lying to themselves and others if necessary – that’s just the nature of faith

For example I asked one of the posters on this thread to provide me with some evidence of a claim they made but to also make sure that the evidence had no problems (things that would cast doubt on the evidence) and to post that as well and I also knew that the poster wouldn’t comply because if they went to the trouble of fact checking themselves it might raise a doubt about in them about their faith

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

In my opinion theists are more at home with a black/white good/bad style of thinking and they seem to sort new information/ideas they come across into those categories – and they always start with the presupposition that their faith is correct and so filter their information in favour of their faith or belief

Sceptics (I prefer the word sceptic to atheist) on the other hand have a dislike of black/white answers and are much more at home with the ‘gray areas’ and any ‘beliefs’ are seen as transitory and subject to change when new information comes along and that means they are more ready to challenge their own ideas

So are christians/jews/muslims liars – I don’t think so they just have a different approach to information than Sceptics for example

so i go along with what this guys says
reality tunnels

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by racasan

did my reference to IS remind you of that guy's reference in the video, to getting rid of IS in his language?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

did you like the reality tunnel thing?

and e-prime
you might review my posts one page one of this thread

but I try and apply that idea as much as possible
edit on 18-1-2012 by racasan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by racasan
reply to post by undo

did you like the reality tunnel thing?

and e-prime
you might review my posts one page one of this thread

but I try and apply that idea as much as possible
edit on 18-1-2012 by racasan because: (no reason given)

that's alot of additional work just to say, "people should express themselves as if everything they say were a theory or hypothesis."
i liked it vs. it was good. that's too much additional thinking for my old noggin, not to mention, "exist" as a state of "being" is not unprovable.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

It just requires discipline – but if you have got the idea of e-prime you now don’t have to get upset about how they phrase things (worrying about lying to you) you just have to see that they are using the only tools of communication/thinking that they have

The reality tunnel idea is fun, if you recognise you are in one you can change it
For example, on here I’m a full on sceptic, later I will enter a tunnel where I’m an artist and musician and after that I will enter my tunnel of being a Taoist alchemist and so do meditation and chi gung and so on – it’s a lot like having a lot more life to play with and if I do get bored no problem enter a new tunnel and try that for a while

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by racasan
reply to post by undo

It just requires discipline – but if you have got the idea of e-prime you now don’t have to get upset about how they phrase things (worrying about lying to you) you just have to see that they are using the only tools of communication/thinking that they have

The reality tunnel idea is fun, if you recognise you are in one you can change it
For example, on here I’m a full on sceptic, later I will enter a tunnel where I’m an artist and musician and after that I will enter my tunnel of being a Taoist alchemist and so do meditation and chi gung and so on – it’s a lot like having a lot more life to play with and if I do get bored no problem enter a new tunnel and try that for a while

1 +
=

1+1=2

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join